Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Per Kushner, Demps and Gentry staying.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    Heard that Loomis is the reason they are still here. Others wanted them gone, but Loomis wanted them to stay.
    Dumars must have changed his mind. On that note 7-9 three years in a row is a passing grade in the football department. Figures Loomis would stay the course here.
    Last edited by Champ; 05-15-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yet, it would be better than can them now than wait until next years. With Cousins up for negotiation after next season, it would not look too stable to make changes then. So, we have to bank on a great season next year or have changes at a time that could jeopardize the re-signing of Cousins.
    My argument has always been, don't make a change until Cousins signs on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    When I read the text message from the Pelicans with Mr. Benson statements I was sick to my stomach.
    Again how does not changing anything get you to 40 wins and a playoff lol
    Let me guess they will pay Steel Rod to stay as well in July.
    Cousins and AD on the team will get us to 40 wins next year by themselves.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    My argument has always been, don't make a change until Cousins signs on the line.
    WTF ! Man,if anything that would show COMPLETE insincerity on the Pelicans part. You may have Boogie signed, but WOW, it sounds like something Sacramento would do. You know, underhanded, low . I'm sure Boogie would love that. NOT!

People around here seem to have been in a state of exhaustion with Gentry and Demps, and I would have agreed with that 4 months ago.

But in a few earlier posts I have made these 2 points:

1) Demps, who I generally thought of as truly ineffective/with no vision, just pulled off one of the monster steal trades of the last half decade. He got the Pels a chance to be a team of real significance by landing a second superstar. When that happened, it would be a weird way to thank the guy who did it by immediately canning him before he had any chance to build a team around the superstar he just snagged.

2) Gentry, who I have argued was a retread for years, laughed at the Pels for signing, nonetheless WAS getting results there in March. It was coming together for the Big Two, and frankly, who cares about the rest of the guys because they are all replaceable. If you find a coach who can get the Big Two to excel, you almost automatically find a coach who can make the Pels winners. If the goal was to win a title, then absolutely not. .But in order to retain Boogie and secure the future the Pels should really be aiming for maybe a 50 win season. A 6th seed or some such. That is not unachieveable given the superstar pairing, even for Gentry.

3) and here is a Cousins only point: Cousins thrives on loyalty. Sacramento screwed that up again and again and again, but he thrives on loyalty, on "his guys". If the article is right and he and Gentry have "bonded", then that was always a powerful argument for keeping Gentry if you wanted to keep Cousins. Do you know how tired he has to be of idiot front offices constantly pulling the rug out from under him and firing good guys he likes? If he likes Gentry, then unless A.D. does not, it's a huge reason to give Gentry the job next season. If he likes Gentry it may even give him extra motivation, if he needs anymore since its a contract year and he desperately wants to make the playoffs, to be all in to try to save the job of a coach he likes.

Its quite obvious now that Demps and Gentry would have, very appropriately, been gone without the Cousins deal. But that was a huge score, I think bigger than many people realize (seriously, people are more worried about having Gentry than excited about having A.D./Cousins, which is...just wrong), and it changed everything. Guess now we can add one coach into the "saved" column for Cousins after he has been accused of killing previous idiots like Westphal and Karl.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 05-15-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    People around here seem to have been in a state of exhaustion with Gentry and Demps, and I would have agreed with that 4 months ago.

But in a few earlier posts I have made these 2 points:

1) Demps, who I generally thought of as truly ineffective/with no vision, just pulled off one of the monster steal trades of the last half decade. He got the Pels a chance to be a team of real significance by landing a second superstar. When that happened, it would be a weird way to thank the guy who did it by immediately canning him before he had any chance to build a team around the superstar he just snagged.

2) Gentry, who I have argued was a retread for years, laughed at the Pels for signing, nonetheless WAS getting results there in March. It was coming together for the Big Two, and frankly, who cares about the rest of the guys because they are all replaceable. If you find a coach who can get the Big Two to excel, you almost automatically find a coach who can make the Pels winners. If the goal was to win a title, then absolutely not. .But in order to retain Boogie and secure the future the Pels should really be aiming for maybe a 50 win season. A 6th seed or some such. That is not unachieveable given the superstar pairing, even for Gentry.

3) and here is a Cousins only point: Cousins thrives on loyalty. Sacramento screwed that up again and again and again, but he thrives on loyalty, on "his guys". If the article is right and he and Gentry have "bonded", then that was always a powerful argument for keeping Gentry if you wanted to keep Cousins. Do you know how tired he has to be of idiot front offices constantly pulling the rug out from under him and firing good guys he likes? If he likes Gentry, then unless A.D. does not, it's a huge reason to give Gentry the job next season. If he likes Gentry it may even give him extra motivation, if he needs anymore since its a contract year and he desperately wants to make the playoffs, to be all in to try to save the job of a coach he likes.
    Gentry is a retread, so however many games we win under Gentry, you can add 4-8 more with a better coach. If Boogie signs, we just gave a Mediocre coach a multiyear extension based on this specious logic that you keep a blind Nascar Driver because he has the fastest car.

Demps hits one homerun in 7years and that should save his job. That kind of thinking is why this franchise is where it is sadly.

Banned
    No way we win 40 games with AD N DC.
    We were not that impressive in March? So don't get the logic of clicking?
    55 wins lol
    DC is a ball hog looking for stats Period.
    He thinks he can play up top and put it on the floor like a 2 Guard and go to the rack.
    He reputation around the league is Mud.
    Yet we want to kit glove this guy to resign wtf!!
    What happen to Wins ???
    Isn't that what counts?
    So we keep loser Gentry and Demps to appease DC ???
    No way. Again I think we made a terrible decision in keeping 30 win Alvin and Demps.
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 05-15-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Demps hits one homerun in 7years and that should save his job. That kind of thinking is why this franchise is where it is sadly.
    You are Spot on!!

The point would be that he just hit it last at bat, so pulling him for a pinch hitter the very next at bat would be odd.

I don't have much confidence in Demps, but there is a real theory that you have to give a guy a chance to follow up that trade/complete his vision. Given a pairing like A.D./Cousins it should not be that hard to at least create a playoff team, it really shouldn't.

I suppose some of this comes down to bird in the hand. If Pat Riley saw the Boogie/Brow pairing forming up and abruptly resigned his post in Miami and offered to come join the Pels as coach/GM and you said, nah...we got Alvin and Dell...well, somebody would need to be slapped. Hard. But in a world of possibilities that likely includes a bunch of assistant GMS, smallball morons who wouldn't know what to do with two big men even if they had them, retread GMs who have their own failures on their resumes (hence why they are available), then the retread guy who just pulled off the coup and understands the roster/situation is a reasonable decision if not necessarily the right one.

55 wins lol
    He thinks he can play up top and put it on the floor like a 2 Guard and go to the rack.
    What happen to Wins ???
    Isn't that what counts?
    No way. Again I think we made a terrible decision in keeping 30 win Alvin and Demps.
    The Pels were damn impressive in March. Not sure how Pels fans missed that. Went 10-6, and had something like the 4th? 5th? best +/- in the entire league during the month. Do that for an entire year and you are a 50 win team, and one that other teams do not want to run into in the playoffs with that frontline.

55 wins lol
    What happen to Wins ???
    Isn't that what counts?
    Lmao woooooooooow

Banned
    Bricklayer March was Impressive?
    We beat the following clubs:
    Pistons
    Lakers
    Hornets
    Trailblazers
    Timberwolves
    Grizzlies
    Nuggets
    Mavs
    Kings
    Now what is so special about March?
    Do these games make you believe 50 wins is on the horizon???
    Also for what its worth we were 1-6 in April.
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 05-15-2017 at 06:46 PM.

This is such a bad move. AD is gonna leave asap. You can't tell me that AD and Boogie don't talk about their options for the future.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    This is such a bad move. AD is gonna leave asap. You can't tell me that AD and Boogie don't talk about their options for the future.
    Of course they talk about their options for the future.

You just won't believe anyone if they suggested those options also include staying in New Orleans, most likely.

Why are so few people going on record with what move they'd be excited for instead of keeping Demps or Gentry that don't involve cop outs like "Anyone else!"

I mean, sure it's easy to criticize the apparent direction you think the team is going, but where's the daring? Maybe three times I've seen guys suggest Darren Erman. But who is our savior at GM that's better than Demps?

And for the record, I'm not exactly gung ho about Demps or Gentry coming back either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

You just won't believe anyone if they suggested those options also include staying in New Orleans, most likely.

Why are so few people going on record with what move they'd be excited for instead of keeping Demps or Gentry that don't involve cop outs like "Anyone else!"

I mean, sure it's easy to criticize the apparent direction you think the team is going, but where's the daring? Maybe three times I've seen guys suggest Darren Erman. But who is our savior at GM that's better than Demps?

And for the record, I'm not exactly gung ho about Demps or Gentry coming back either.
    If they are able to play for a team that is dedicated to winning and doesn't play 2nd fiddle to the Saints, no i do not think that they consider staying here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Here's the thing it's on the ownership team to do their due diligence in picking the best GM. From a fan standpoint it's difficult to pick names because it hard to give credit to the individuals behind the scene. What we do know is the current front office hasn't worked even given ample time. Who here would put Gentry in the top half of coaches? So why are we holding on to people who are proven losers in their current position? You don't need a better plan to know what we currently have is broken and should be changed.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/5...rs-mike-zarren

Here's a article about the hawks search for a GM. I'd try my hand at any of these guys over Demps that has proven he can't succeed.

55 wins lol
    What happen to Wins ???
    Isn't that what counts?
    Good grief dude, now you're claiming we didn't look good in March? Just stop.

My only problem with Gentry is that he doesn't develop talent or make players better. He just slides them to the end of bench and tells them to get better on their own. I feel this will keep us ever going deep.

Not to mention

236-322 (.424) 11th overall out of 15 team in WEST. Most teams would have fired him by now.

Banned
    Alvin inherited a Loaded roster in Phoenix.
    He had a 54 win season in 2009.
    He had Steve Nash running the show.
    He ran that club in the ground. He was fired and multiple players expressed he was Terrible.
    Alvin Gentry has not had a track record of anything other than getting fired.
    The Pelicans beating mostly low level clubs in March.
    People don't think that is future of 50 wins please
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 05-15-2017 at 08:11 PM.

What does it say when Bowers is ahead of Demps? This was after Demps one hit.Again most team would have fired Demps by now.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...t-ratings-1-30

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Not to mention

236-322 (.424) 11th overall out of 15 team in WEST. Most teams would have fired him by now.
    That alone speaks volumes

That alone speaks volumes
    Advocate nailed it with this photo

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...b243120e6.html

Thread Information