Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Draft Combine (Chicago) , May 9-14th

Draft Combine (Chicago) , May 9-14th

I doubt Dell gets a 1st round pick. Those contracts are guaranteed and we probably want to go into the offseason with the most flexibility possible because we don't know how Jrue will play out.

If he does it means there is someone there he REALLY likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If he does it means there is someone there he REALLY likes.
    Aaron Holiday, Jrue's younger brother

Has the meat market opened yet? Where are the heights of these guys?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

In process.. :/

Dillon Brooks combo forward from Oregon (6'7') was interviewed by Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Has the meat market opened yet? Where are the heights of these guys?
    Here are the first measurements :
    http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-.../1/height/desc

Nothing surprising,but Iwundu 6'7 with shoes and 7'1 wingspan give him great size to play both SG and SF.

Ojeleye is shorter than I hoped

Dwayne Bacon. Guard from FSU is another one interviewed by Pels

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Ojeleye is shorter than I hoped
    Could be a good thing if that helps him fall to the Pels' #40 pick. I've seen him going higher in mocks so far.

Saw Pels assistant coach Kevin Hanson there watching on the sidelines, sitting near Magic J.

Isaiah Johnson - 6'8.8 with shoes, 7'1 wingspan, and weighs 332 pounds! hahaha holy moly 150KG! 25KG heavier than any other guy on the list, that's a big fella!

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Dwayne Bacon. Guard from FSU is another one interviewed by Pels
    Bacon is one of the guys I'd like to get with our 2nd rounder.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Bacon is one I've had eyes on since before March Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Bacon is one of the guys I'd like to get with our 2nd rounder.
    My issue with him is his 3pt %, I think he started well the season but after that his numbers normalized to 33% which tends to prove it was a fluke. But anyway I won't be mad with him being the pick but I somehow hope that we select one out of Iwundu and Hart.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    My issue with him is his 3pt %, I think he started well the season but after that his numbers normalized to 33% which tends to prove it was a fluke. But anyway I won't be mad with him being the pick but I somehow hope that we select one out of Iwundu and Hart.
    Don't know much about Bacon, but when his name came up during the combine broadcast, the broadcast guys pointed out his effort on defense was pretty bad in games. Devin Robinson stood out, and that dude Rawle Alkins seems like he could be a really good player, like a stronger TEvans

I just cant understand the clamor for SG's. We have E'Twaun and Grits. Jrue might even be sliding over to SG if he stays.

We need a long, athletic, wing or a PG with some outside shooting IMO.

These 6'6" guys with average wingspans worry me as potential SF's. Unless they have amazing vert and motor it's hard for me to really get behind any of them.

Shame about his measurements but damn this dude is a beast and nothing he does in this mixtape sseems like something out of place in the NBA. If he's still there at #40 you take this guy 10/10 times.

some of those players may go undrafted

moore may be traded

draft is usually for BPA.
    Pels needed diallo last year? Probably not...

We need at least 1 more guard if not 2 depending on if Jrue leaves. Gentry has already said he likes the Moore + Grits combo so I'd expect them to be the guards off the bench.

Frazier can do spot duty for the traditional PG but it's definitely our weakest position followed by SF.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    some of those players may go undrafted

moore may be traded

draft is usually for BPA.
    Pels needed diallo last year? Probably not...
    Pels didn't need Diallo last year, thats why he didnt play almost at all last year. It is completely different to put that pick in the same light as drafting a SG this year. Diallo was picked as a project and I think T Jones was signed after the pick anyways. We legit did not have a backup PF. Cunningham was a SF primarily the year before.

This is completely different. You're in a situation where you have ample SG's that can play. You have way bigger holes in the roster. Neither Moore or Grits is going to get you a taller version of what they bring which is what we actually need. Your post is short sighted and illogical.

I dont argue that we dont need players for other positions.

Just expect that with this years 2nd round pick we will take a talented guy for the future. No matter of position. And I am fine with it.
    If everything plays great he will be rotation player as early as First season.

You wont fill holes by young second rounder.

I'd prefer BPA no matter of position. If it will be SF. Great. If SG. Fine.
    He might be a piece in 2-3 years when Moore might be already gone...

Just to be clear Cunningham was always a backup PF. He only played SF because we were paper thin there and he's a team player.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post

Shame about his measurements but damn this dude is a beast and nothing he does in this mixtape sseems like something out of place in the NBA. If he's still there at #40 you take this guy 10/10 times.
    I think his measurements came out pretty much as expected, I've seen him listed at 6'7 on mocks and that's right about what he measured at. Also Draftexpress's combine analysis showed he had nearly identical height/ wingspan/ weight as Jae Crowder, who does great at SF/PF. I agree, unless J. Evans or R. Alkins is there at #40, Semi would be an awesome pick and could likely step in and contribute right away. Very well could also be picked before then tho.

Pels interviewed Frank Jackson from Duke https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...46281216159744
    Would also be a good pick if he falls to #40.

One of the winners of the combine...
    We will see.
    His stock went up. 36 on new DX mock draft

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Pels interviewed Frank Jackson from Duke https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...46281216159744
    Would also be a good pick if he falls to #40.
    It's interesting to note that the pels seem to focus on interviewing underclassmen, it seems to be a new trend because in the last few years they interviewed mostly senior. I don't know if it's random or it's because of Diallo's pick success but it's worth noticing.

Regarding the position of need, I think we mostly need an SG/SF. In a league where small ball is more and more used, you need players able to play SF and to keep up on defense with smaller players, especially if you want to be able to play two bigs at the same time. I think the three most important quality are ability to play within the flow of the offense, knock down 3s and being able to defend.

Regarding Ojeleye, I can't help but to see him having more success in the NBA as small ball power forward and I think it's the only position where we don't need any player.
    Last edited by Blattman; 05-12-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Thornwell is another guy I hope we look at
    SIGN A SF

Thread Information