Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Who would you rather trade for as the new starting PG?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeremy Lin

3 5.36%
  • Eric Bledsoe

30 53.57%
  • Ricky Rubio

19 33.93%
  • Other (S.Rodriguez, etc.)

4 7.14%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Prefered New (realistic) PG

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Just a name that no-one else has mentioned, but may be available. Jordan Clarkson.

He's on a decent deal, he's not a pure PG, but hes a scorer, and it looks like we'll be running a lot of the offense through Boogie.

He's not my dream pickup, but if Jrue gets a max elsewhere I feel like he could be a guy we can get who could contribute.

Nice, add him to the list for sure. It would make sense that Magic might trade him in some scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Why do we always attempt to frame the conversation this way. Realistic? What does that mean. Guys that aren't superstars? Guys who have underachieved? Guys are who are underrated? Basically any of those, but no stars? Why can't we just pose a question and the let the responses pass or fail based on their arguments?

I think it's realistic that a GM who might be considering giving a max contract to a player he may feel is not worth it, is going to kick the tires on a PG (or other player) he feels may be worth it. We can't have it both ways, we can't say that Jrue is going to get paid and then act like it's not realistic that he can't be used to source his own replacement (or another upgrade for the team). But what do I know...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I hear you, I guess I was just excluding Steph Curry, Westbrook, Harden, etc. Chris Paul. But you're right, anything can happen as we saw with the Boogie trade. And now that Griffin was just announced out for the playoffs with another injury, the chances of Chris Paul leaving the Clippers for another team did increase, even if slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    True. I mean, was getting Cousins in a trade centered around Buddy Hield realistic five months ago?
    Fer shizzle. Anything can happen

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    If it cost the same to acquire all three, the order for me is
    Bledsoe, Rubio, Lin. Acquiring any for a first would be a solid move in my mind, paying a more might cause me to question.

Bledsoe is like take away some of Jrues shooting and replace it with lots of athleticism. I think we'd actually improve but the risk there is his injury history.

Rubio is every bit the defender Holiday is and can run the pick and roll with AD and set up Boogie perfectly. He would hurt the spacing and can't really play off ball like Jrue though, so I think we'd be roughly neutral in exchange for Jrue.

Lin in my mind is a downgrade on Holiday, but not a big one. If Holiday is getting a max, getting Lin could get 80% of the production while keeping future flexibility.

Collison is another guy who I think we could get this off-season as a FA who is would be an identical situation to the Lin one.

Sergio, Rose and some other Pgs would be major downgrades, in my mind. You probably consider keeping Jrue despite the cost if these are the alternatives.
    @DanielVeuleman

Banned
    Guys we're are you getting Jrue Holiday is anywhere near a starting 2 Guard in this league.
    He needs to go. Jrue doesn't process the break down off the dribble speed nor the Stroke to be a legit 2. Unfortunately he seems to have lost that Jerk step due to those knee surgeries
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 04-22-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Guys we're are you getting Jrue Holiday is anywhere near a starting 2 Guard in this league.
    He needs to go. Jrue doesn't process the break down off the dribble speed nor the Stroke to be a legit 2. Unfortunately he seems to have lost that Jerk step due to those knee surgeries
    What knee surgeries?

Realistic comes into play because discussion of a trade for Harden, LeBron, etc is pointless. It will never happen.

The discussion for Cousins was different. His price is what was so unbelievable, but we had assets to get him. Now we have even less assets so it's fair to say unless we win the lottery a large number of players are off the table.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What knee surgeries?
    Jrue has had multiple surgeries to his right leg.
    Plus he has a steel rod along with screws in his leg

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    The league has a real lack of true starting 2's right now. The best ones are probably Demar Derozan, Butler (could be a sf) and Klay Thompson. After that, you're looking at Avery Bradley's, who are good but not much ahead of Jrue.

Banned
    Jrue did play better off the ball.
    His defense stepped up some early in the season.
    But his game slowed down in February big time.
    Not sure we can blame that on the D.C. trade or not?

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I think Collison would be a good fit next to Jrue (assuming he stays) and the price might be right. Not sure how realistic Rubio and Bledsoe are. A trade idea that's been floated that I like is a deal with the Magic for Elfrid Payton and Fournier or Hezonja in a deal involving our first rounder next year...
    I'd do try to do both Rubio or Bledsoe and Elfrid if Jrue doesn't resign. Might take a sign and trade with Jrue for one of them like Rubio and then a 1st for EP and either Henzoja or Fournier. Some contracts would have to be moved with the trades, then MLE and other moves could be available.

Rubio and Pek (25.6m) for Jrue and Ajinca (30-33m)
    EP and Fournier (19m) for Hill, Moore, and 2018 first (19m) they don't have a SF besides Gordon signed for next year

Rubio, EP
    Fournier, Crawford
    Qpon, (Blossomgame 2nd round pick)(MLE)
    Davis, Diallo, Cunningham
    Cousins, Asik, Pek(injury settlement/buyout)

Love to grab Simmons(Spurs) and McClemore with MLE. We'd be week at SF but when haven't we been. Surround Davis and Cousins with athletic freaks and hope they keep progressing with their 3pt shot. If we kept Jrue I'd still try for the magic deal.

EP, Jrue, Frazier
    Jrue, Fournier, Crawford
    Fournier, Qpon, Cunningham
    Cousins, Asik, Ajinca

Good starting 5 for sure or at least I like it.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I'd do try to do both Rubio or Bledsoe and Elfrid if Jrue doesn't resign. Might take a sign and trade with Jrue for one of them like Rubio and then a 1st for EP and either Henzoja or Fournier. Some contracts would have to be moved with the trades, then MLE and other moves could be available.

Rubio and Pek (25.6m) for Jrue and Ajinca (30-33m)
    EP and Fournier (19m) for Hill, Moore, and 2018 first (19m) they don't have a SF besides Gordon signed for next year

Rubio, EP
    Fournier, Crawford
    Qpon, (Blossomgame 2nd round pick)(MLE)
    Cousins, Asik, Pek(injury settlement/buyout)

Love to grab Simmons(Spurs) and McClemore with MLE. We'd be week at SF but when haven't we been. Surround Davis and Cousins with athletic freaks and hope they keep progressing with their 3pt shot. If we kept Jrue I'd still try for the magic deal.

EP, Jrue, Frazier
    Jrue, Fournier, Crawford
    Fournier, Qpon, Cunningham
    Cousins, Asik, Ajinca

Good starting 5 for sure or at least I like it.

hill was on the magic board that was exposed lol....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    The league has a real lack of true starting 2's right now. The best ones are probably Demar Derozan, Butler (could be a sf) and Klay Thompson. After that, you're looking at Avery Bradley's, who are good but not much ahead of Jrue.
    Bradley Beal
    CJ McCullum
    Nick Batum
    Devin Booker
    KCP
    Fournier

That's just off the top of my head, in addition to those you named, that I'd take as a starting SG before I considered Jrue. If Wade was cheaper I'd add him to the list for his experience alone.

It depends. If the Pelicans can add a real scoring threat at SG or SF, then a PG like Rubio would be ideal. If point guard is supposed to be the number 3 scoring option in the offense, we might as well keep Jrue (or somehow bring CP3 back).

The reason I always go back to Knight, is because he's got the ability to be as good as Rubio, Lin, or Bledsoe, and wouldn't cost us our 1st. If we keep our 1st, we can address another position of need like SG or SF with it later in the season if an opportunity pops up.

Let's say we sign a SG or SF with the MLE. During the season we would have a lot of flexibility to move any combination of Hill/Moore/Crawford/Ajinca/MLE-guy along with our 1st for a real upgrade. Or play it out and actually control our 1st for a young player or trade on draft night.

Next years isn't the only season that matters, so Id love to keep our 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Bradley Beal
    CJ McCullum
    Nick Batum
    Devin Booker
    KCP
    Fournier

That's just off the top of my head, in addition to those you named, that I'd take as a starting SG before I considered Jrue. If Wade was cheaper I'd add him to the list for his experience alone.
    Fair, though I'd put Jrue on the same level as KCP and probably Fournier due to ball movement and defense.

The point that I was disputing was the Jrue isn't a starting 2 guard in the league. Even if we include all these and Wade that makes him a middle tier SG.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    People still sleeping on Elfrid Payton huh?
    Just that hes still horrible from 3pt range. Is my only turn off.

Hey Tim Hardaway jr is nice his game has really grown I don't know if he will be available but I would not mind paying him I believe has has alot of potential to become even better plus he 6'6

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I am curious, is it at possible to try and acquire Kemba Walker from Charlotte. I don't know if they would be willing to move him or if we can really offer them anything worthwhile. I've always liked his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I am curious, is it at possible to try and acquire Kemba Walker from Charlotte. I don't know if they would be willing to move him or if we can really offer them anything worthwhile. I've always liked his game.
    Lol nah, I can't see any way.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

We just need a PG or shooting guard that can shoot set shots and will come off the pick and roll and nail a jumper consistently. That would make the pick and role game so deadly with AD or DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lets just ride this Kentucky train forever - i think suns just wanna dump Bledsoe so his price will probably be the lowest too of the three options

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    lets just ride this Kentucky train forever - i think suns just wanna dump Bledsoe so his price will probably be the lowest too of the three options
    I feel Bledsoe still has value. He still has 2 years left at 15m. They can probably get a mid to high protected 1st for him. And I would be willing to give that up for him depending how the draft goes.

If the Pelicans win the lottery, do we trade for our PG of the future, or do we draft him? I think we'd have to consider just taking Fultz or Ball if it fell that way, and consider it found money. We could still follow the exact same plans as we've already discussed on this thread, but we'd have an incredible asset on a cheap contract in addition to a Bledsoe, Lin, Knight, Rubio type, and whoever we can add with the exemptions.

But I'd shop the pick like crazy for the best deal first just to see what's out there.

Could we get Batum and Kemba for the #1, Moore, Ajinca, and Asik? Charlotte can't feel good about their team's place in the East and it might be time for them to rebuild. That the sort of deal I'd be looking for to trade the #1 pick.

Kemba
    Batum
    Hill
    AD
    Cousins

I don't think you can jump the Spurs or the Warriors by building a team on paper, but this team would easily be considered 3rd best in the West.

Now, some of you might say this has no chance of happening. But I'd argue you're wrong. It has a 1.1% chance of happening. So I'm saying there's a chance...

You could also draft Fultz, who is from the DC area, and have an incredible asset if Washington decides they want to trade John Wall in a year or two. I'm saying there's a chance...
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 04-24-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Lol nah, I can't see any way.
    I don't see how the Pels have the assets to get Kemba, but the Hornets missed the playoffs this year and don't have much room for improvement. If you're capped out at a playoff bubble team, it's time to start over.

Thread Information