Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Who would you rather trade for as the new starting PG?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeremy Lin

3 5.36%
  • Eric Bledsoe

30 53.57%
  • Ricky Rubio

19 33.93%
  • Other (S.Rodriguez, etc.)

4 7.14%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Prefered New (realistic) PG

Dragic, you want a p/r point guard prefer can shoot. He is expense and not very good on D but he is in the point guard prime for the win now team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I don't see how the Pels have the assets to get Kemba, but the Hornets missed the playoffs this year and don't have much room for improvement. If you're capped out at a playoff bubble team, it's time to start over.
    1.1% chance, in my humble opinion.

Let them start over with Fultz at #1, and Justin Jackson or Ferguson at #11.

Kemba is a great fit next to our two bigs and is on a Steph Curry like steal of a contract @ $12m/yr. I'm not even sure #1 overall is enough to pry Kemba away if Jordan decides to rebuild. It might take an additional pick, which I'd be happy to throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    Dragic, you want a p/r point guard prefer can shoot. He is expense and not very good on D but he is in the point guard prime for the win now team.
    Dragic is good, but would a 2018 pick in the late teens or 20s be enough for Pat Riley to move him? I think we come up short in assets, unless we win the lottery, and then I think we aim higher than Dragic.

Technically the Pelicans have a 4% chance of keeping their pick. So there's a 4% chance of scoring a player like PG or maybe Isaiah Thomas or a player on that level.

If we keep the pick I imagine they are going to shop it HARD and also try to resign Jrue,maybe offering him quite a bit more than they were planning to make it happen.

Also keep in mind if we keep out pick this year Kings get our next year pick. So I don't know that there's a scenario where we can trade our pick and then realistically get Bledsoe or Rubio using a 1st round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Technically the Pelicans have a 4% chance of keeping their pick. So there's a 4% chance of scoring a player like PG or maybe Isaiah Thomas or a player on that level.

If we keep the pick I imagine they are going to shop it HARD and also try to resign Jrue,maybe offering him quite a bit more than they were planning to make it happen.

Also keep in mind if we keep out pick this year Kings get our next year pick. So I don't know that there's a scenario where we can trade our pick and then realistically get Bledsoe or Rubio using a 1st round pick.
    Our chances of keeping our pick are 4%, but our chances of winning the lottery are 1.1%. I think in order to be in the conversation for an elite player we have to win it. Josh Jackson doesn't seem like he carries the same value at 3, as Fultz or Ball.

And we could still get Knight for a 2025 2nd rounder! That's my preference anyway.

What would be the protection on the 2018 pick if we kept our pick this year?

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Dragic is good, but would a 2018 pick in the late teens or 20s be enough for Pat Riley to move him? I think we come up short in assets, unless we win the lottery, and then I think we aim higher than Dragic.
    S/T Jure + 2018(lotto protected) for Dragic =p

Seriously I think heat going to rebuild and Dragic won't be part of the plan, I think he can be had for cheap.

Our chances of keeping our pick are 4%, but our chances of winning the lottery are 1.1%. I think in order to be in the conversation for an elite player we have to win it. Josh Jackson doesn't seem like he carries the same value at 3, as Fultz or Ball.

And we could still get Knight for a 2025 2nd rounder! That's my preference anyway.

What would be the protection on the 2018 pick if we kept our pick this year?
    1st is always better than 2nd or 3rd. I won't be greedy though, any top 3 pick would have me jumping for joy and probably drastically improve our chances for future success. I also would assume that if the Pacers were going to move PG with 1 year left on his deal they would be willing to accept a top 3 pick this year, whether 1st or 3rd as the main piece.

Depending how this summer goes I would roll the dice on Knight. I'd even think about a deal surrounding Bledsoe + Knight for a 1st and filler if we lost Jrue.

If I'm not mistaken our protection goes down to top 1 protected next year then becomes unprotected the following year. But I'd have to verify to make sure.

1st is always better than 2nd or 3rd. I won't be greedy though, any top 3 pick would have me jumping for joy and probably drastically improve our chances for future success. I also would assume that if the Pacers were going to move PG with 1 year left on his deal they would be willing to accept a top 3 pick this year, whether 1st or 3rd as the main piece.

Depending how this summer goes I would roll the dice on Knight. I'd even think about a deal surrounding Bledsoe + Knight for a 1st and filler if we lost Jrue.

If I'm not mistaken our protection goes down to top 1 protected next year then becomes unprotected the following year. But I'd have to verify to make sure.
    I've read it suggested before on here that we should go after Knight and Bledsoe, but I wonder if Phoenix has proven out that pairing those two isn't a good idea. Would Gentry's system be the cure all, or are they just not complimentary pieces? As individuals I like the talent. I'd have to defer to folks who watch Phoenix games. That's also a lot of salary to take back unless you get a huge TPE from a deal with Jrue.

I've read it suggested before on here that we should go after Knight and Bledsoe, but I wonder if Phoenix has proven out that pairing those two isn't a good idea. Would Gentry's system be the cure all, or are they just not complimentary pieces? As individuals I like the talent. I'd have to defer to folks who watch Phoenix games. That's also a lot of salary to take back unless you get a huge TPE from a deal with Jrue.
    I thought the fit issue was more with Booker just being plan better than Knight, not necessarily Bledsoe and Knight bad together. But you are right, it would really require a Phoenix fan to make that clear. I don't watch them enough.

If Jrue leaves for nothing that leaves a big hole to fill so I'd be more willing to take back those salaries to get some players with talent in here that can start. Long term maybe it's not a best players to pair but I could definitely see us in a situation where we are just desperate for guard talent.

Yea I was thinking about the different trade scenarios, if we were to get that top 3 pick and were set on trading for impact veteran player(s).

1) Butler
    2) P. George
    3) I. Thomas (?) (John Wall??? D. Lillard?)
    ( some combination of Ajinca, Pondexter, Frazier, Moore or Hill + top 3 pick + taking another player(s) with multi-year contracts)

4. Kemba Walker + M. Kidd-Gilchrist for Asik + Ajinca + Pondexter + Frazier +top 3 pick
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m8766gu

(would leave the option to still re-sign Holiday or not. Kemba/Jrue/MKG/AD/DMC with Moore/Hill/Crawford/Diallo still in the fold off the bench +MLE and vet min. signings...Trade could also include adding Batum for Hill/Moore. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mt4ztxp)

5. K. Middleton + M. Brogdon +protected 1st for Asik + Ajinca + top 3 pick (Jabari could also be considered in play, but would probably require the removal of Asik's contract for him, and with the 2 ACL injuries so young, might be best to focus on bringing in 2 starter-level players, Middleton a borderline star that fits excellent with the Pels core. And also clear Asik and Ajinca's salaries.
    *Probably not the kind of trade one would hope for giving up a top 3 pick, but if they miss out on the big name stars, a trade like this could make sense. Brogdon/Holiday/Middleton/Davis/Cousins +MLE signing/Moore/Hill/Frazier/Crawford/Diallo etc.

6. Wiggins + Rubio for some combination of Asik, Ajinca, Pondexter, Frazier, Moore or Hill + top 3 pick
    Rubio/Holiday/Wiggins/Davis/Cousins

7. Bledsoe + Warren + protected 1st +Barbosa for Asik, Ajinca, Pondexter top 3 pick
    If it comes down to a trade like this as a last resort, they might be better off just drafting the top 3 player in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea I was thinking about the different trade scenarios, if we were to get that top 3 pick and were set on trading for impact veteran player(s).

1) Butler
    2) P. George
    ( some combination of Ajinca, Pondexter, Frazier, Moore or Hill + top 3 pick + taking another player(s) with multi-year contracts)

4. Kemba Walker + M. Kidd-Gilchrist for Asik + Ajinca + Pondexter + Frazier +top 3 pick

(would leave the option to still re-sign Holiday or not. Kemba/Jrue/MKG/AD/DMC with Moore/Hill/Crawford/Diallo still in the fold off the bench +MLE and vet min. signings...Trade could also include adding Batum for Hill/Moore. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mt4ztxp)

5. K. Middleton + M. Brogdon +protected 1st for Asik + Ajinca + top 3 pick (Jabari could also be considered in play, but would probably require the removal of Asik's contract for him, and with the 2 ACL injuries so young, might be best to focus on bringing in 2 starter-level players, Middleton a borderline star that fits excellent with the Pels core. And also clear Asik and Ajinca's salaries.
    *Probably not the kind of trade one would hope for giving up a top 3 pick, but if they miss out on the big name stars, a trade like this could make sense. Brogdon/Holiday/Middleton/Davis/Cousins +MLE signing/Moore/Hill/Frazier/Crawford/Diallo etc.

6. Wiggins + Rubio for some combination of Asik, Ajinca, Pondexter, Frazier, Moore or Hill + top 3 pick

7. Bledsoe + Warren + protected 1st +Barbosa for Asik, Ajinca, Pondexter top 3 pick
    If it comes down to a trade like this as a last resort, they might be better off just drafting the top 3 player in the draft.
    A top 3 pick has value... but not THAT much value. At least I don't think it does.

1) Butler
    2) P. George

I thin you overvalue top3 pick too. You can't both have that much assets and unloading bad contracts with the only pick as enticing piece (unless you face a team that completly fell in love with a prospect but you need Vivek's type of foolishness).

Also you can cross Thomas of your list, there's bad blood between him and Cousins.
    I love the fit with John Wall, but I can't see the Wizards moving him, he's young and leading their team where they are conference finals contender.

Let's dream. I like dreams

I see a world where Butler will be available. After Bulls losing to Celts.
    I see a world where PG13 will be available. But unless he will agree that he will re-sign there - I won't touch him. You will have DMC and PG as a 2018 free agents

The problem for me will be that PG13 and DMC won't like to be a 3rd banana. I am not sure if Butler will like it.
    Thomas will get a fat contract and will start to decline soon. also has no defense.

I think Middleton and Walker are untouchable.

Bledsoe and Rubio have a lot of sense there.

I can see a Rubio for Holiday S&T.
    You may think that Minny is giving up too much.
    Maybe You are right. But he is exact type of PG who Thibs wants. Maybe we might sweeten them this deal.

Bledsoe for Moore and 2018th pick might be interesting for Suns

or Bledsoe/Knight- Asik, Pondexter and 2018 pick

This is the solution.

First, land the top 3 pick.

Second, trade the pick and Asik to Sacto for Buddy and Galloway plus our 2018 1st back.

Third, trade the 2018 1st for a small forward upgrade. Batum maybe.

Fourth, resign Holiday.

Brilliant!

So we would basically have last year's team plus Batum and Cousins and minus Reke.

Imagine all of the open looks Galloway, Buddy and Batum would get!

Plus with Vivek running the show we might be able to make this happen.

Seriously though, anyone want to resign Reke? He might be cheap and fit under the cap.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 04-25-2017 at 03:50 AM.

From the CBA standpoint - it is possible after July 1.

TBH I won't do it
    I value 2017th top3 pick much

and our 2018 if everything will go right will be around 21-22 pick

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I thin you overvalue top3 pick too. You can't both have that much assets and unloading bad contracts with the only pick as enticing piece (unless you face a team that completly fell in love with a prospect but you need Vivek's type of foolishness).

Also you can cross Thomas of your list, there's bad blood between him and Cousins.
    I love the fit with John Wall, but I can't see the Wizards moving him, he's young and leading their team where they are conference finals contender.
    Yea, you're probably right. Just thinking that some teams could see Fultz or Ball (or Jackson) as their new second or first young star to build around, therefore valuing that chance highly. But yea, probably best to not put too much focus on this, since it's highly unlikely.

The thing that could be interesting with this upcoming draft lottery, is if Suns, T'Wolves, Magic get a top 2 pick, then Bledsoe, Rubio or Dunn or Tyus Jones, or E. Payton could be available before or after they draft a new top PG. Could also still be possible if these teams take Fox or D. Smith with a later pick.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Litreally just saw all it takes is a GM or a team owner having a serious love jones for a particular player to put an elite one who is disgruntled on the market.

Not saying the Bulls or Blazers (and I'm throwing in the T'Wolves for Wiggins) have people like that running their teams, but you never really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Litreally just saw all it takes is a GM or a team owner having a serious love jones for a particular player to put an elite one who is disgruntled on the market.

Not saying the Bulls or Blazers (and I'm throwing in the T'Wolves for Wiggins) have people like that running their teams, but you never really know.
    Is there an issue brewing between Wolves and Wiggins? That one seems odd to just throw in.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Is there an issue brewing between Wolves and Wiggins? That one seems odd to just throw in.
    No. I'm just throwing that in because the T'Wolves aren't in great standing and could be looking to sell. Maybe Thibs want Jrue? Would do a sign and trade or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    No. I'm just throwing that in because the T'Wolves aren't in great standing and could be looking to sell. Maybe Thibs want Jrue? Would do a sign and trade or something?
    Never gonna happen, but we can dream.

Our pick will be top-1 protected after 2017.

So there might be some risk in the future if lottery falls right this year.

If we will have luck in the lottery - Dell will trade 2017 pick but will not trade future pick. At least for now.
    In that case 2018 pick will go to Kings. I won't trade 2019 pick unless we will know if DMC won't walk from NO...

Rumor

Just saw that he plays for Moscow. With all the 'blame it on Russia' hysteria the media throws around these days, we could just blame it on Russia if our team doesn't win, lol. I watched his highlights and he does seem like a great playmaker and scorer.
    Milos Teodosic is a terrific option! Other great player who seem available is Facundo Campazzo.

Campazzo is fast and although he is lower than most of his rivals, he manages to fill that lack of height with good control of the ball, a good shot and an intense defense. The coach of Argentina's basketball team has characterized him as "tremendously competitive, very intelligent and very disciplined".

Multiple sources from Argentina ( http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2016485-u...cundo-campazzo ) says he is going to NBA, and most probably to Houston Rockets (another teams with interest are Oklahoma City Thunder, Atlanta Hawks, Indiana Pacers y Milwaukee Bucks)

https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/status/856566426777382912
    Last edited by Paul Overt; 05-03-2017 at 01:59 PM.
    "The greatest threat to the domination is the equality."

There is a small chance the Blazers value Frazier way more than we do due to his connections with Lillard and we could take a chance on a PG they have in Napier.

Picture them looking to move one of their bad deals and get a PG back that works for them behind Lilliard, well his buddy Frazier is perfect, we need something they got in either Turner, Crabbe or Harkless, i think any of those guys could be real contributers here. Napier could blow up in the right circumstances and hey, its just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    There is a small chance the Blazers value Frazier way more than we do due to his connections with Lillard and we could take a chance on a PG they have in Napier.

Picture them looking to move one of their bad deals and get a PG back that works for them behind Lilliard, well his buddy Frazier is perfect, we need something they got in either Turner, Crabbe or Harkless, i think any of those guys could be real contributers here. Napier could blow up in the right circumstances and hey, its just an idea.
    The question is who are the Blazers taking from us to match salaries?

So the suggestion is, give up Frazier AND take back a bad contract?

Thread Information