Pelicans Report

Thread: New Orleans Pelicans Announce Six Locations That Have Responded to RFP’s for NBA Deve

New Orleans Pelicans Announce Six Locations That Have Responded to RFP’s for NBA Deve

NEW ORLEANS – The New Orleans Pelicans announced today that the organization has received six affirmative responses to the team’s Request for Proposals (RFP) for the NBA Development League, which were sent on March 30, 2017. The following communities have responded with interest in moving forward in the team’s process with its intention to launch its own NBA Development League team beginning play in the 2018-2019 season: Baton Rouge, LA; Jackson, MS: Mobile, AL; Pensacola, FL; St. Tammany Parish, LA and Shreveport, LA.
    New Orleans Pelicans Announce Six Locations That Have Responded to RFP’s for NBA Development League Franchise

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Surprised Lafayette wasn't interested.
    @DanielVeuleman

Please God no Baton Rouge. Would be so redundant and a waste since it's tiger territory and no one would attend games.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I'm still hoping for Mobile. It's closest to where I live and a place I actually go to sometimes.

Really surprised that Lafayette didn't bid. I think that Lafayette fits the profile the best of the Louisiana cities - close enough to build a Pelican fanbase who will actually drive to NOLA to attend a few games a year, big enough to support the NBA D-League on its own merit, arena ready and waiting for a professional tenant. The other city I thought fit the profile that didn't bid is Biloxi. All of the above apply to Biloxi, too.

Not sure the team would be successful in Baton Rouge. Over many years, attempts at minor league baseball, arena football and minor league hockey have all failed in B.R. This would have the "NBA" tag on it, but I'm not sure that would matter because the Tigers just dominate the sports scene there.

There's really no place for a team to play in St. Tammany. There is the Castine Center in Mandeville and the Northshore Harbor Center in Slidell, but both are smaller or about the same size as the Pontchartrain Center or Alario Center. More convention type space rather than sports arena.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Really surprised that Lafayette didn't bid. I think that Lafayette fits the profile the best of the Louisiana cities - close enough to build a Pelican fanbase who will actually drive to NOLA to attend a few games a year, big enough to support the NBA D-League on its own merit, arena ready and waiting for a professional tenant. The other city I thought fit the profile that didn't bid is Biloxi. All of the above apply to Biloxi, too.

Not sure the team would be successful in Baton Rouge. Over many years, attempts at minor league baseball, arena football and minor league hockey have all failed in B.R. This would have the "NBA" tag on it, but I'm not sure that would matter because the Tigers just dominate the sports scene there.

There's really no place for a team to play in St. Tammany. There is the Castine Center in Mandeville and the Northshore Harbor Center in Slidell, but both are smaller or about the same size as the Pontchartrain Center or Alario Center. More convention type space rather than sports arena.
    My thoughts exactly. I'd add that I live extremely close to Shreveport and doubt the markets ability to put more than 100 in seats nightly, based on almost all prior minor league experience.

C'mon Shreveport!

DMC roots for Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Please God no Baton Rouge. Would be so redundant and a waste since it's tiger territory and no one would attend games.
    Throw some fan favorite LSU players on the team the first few seasons and I think you would get a following.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Throw some fan favorite LSU players on the team the first few seasons and I think you would get a following.
    Like who? Tim Quaterman? Yeah that will pack the river center

LSU fans don't even go to LSU Basketball games, no chance they'd show up to a D Lesgue game downtown for some has beens.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I don't think that would really work. Take the players out of LSU uniforms and the interest just hasn't been there. The minor league baseball River Bats tried to load up on ex-LSU players who were on the great teams of the 90's and it didn't really make a difference. Same with Baton Rouge Blaze of AF2. The LSU flavored roster just didn't resonate once they were out of the purple and gold. Big problem being that most of the fan favorites play professionally at the highest level already.

LSU Athletics just dominates the Baton Rouge sports scene.

Maybe the "NBA" in the NBA D-League gives this a better chance at success than the low-minor/semi-pro feel of the previous attempts at pro sports in B.R. But that's a big maybe.

It would be ideal though because having the team in B.R. would make for great synergy with the Pelicans. Ease of movement of players back and forth. Easy for cross-promotions. An opportunity to establish a deeper foundation of fan support across South Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Surprised Lafayette wasn't interested.
    Does Lafayette still have the Ice Gators hockey team? I know the Cajundime just got a nice renovation.

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    Gulfport, MS you disappoint me

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    It should be Mobile, or Pensacola

Thread Information