Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: NBA Playoffs Thread

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You say closer to contending, but this series is showing that they are just a flavor of the month team. Here today, gone tomorrow. Sure they have the #1 pick, but who is to say that the pick will get them over the top. The Cavs are just corn holing people.
    Didn't Jazz get swept in the previous 2nd round?! My point wasn't that the Celtics were about to win a title, but that they are closer than the Jazz.

The Celtics are spent. They had an emotional first round with Thomas' tragedy and having to climb out of an 0-2 hole. Then they went 7 games in the best matchup of the playoffs thus far. And there reward has been a very well rested defending champion.

This offseason the Jazz have to hope they can bring back their team from last year, but could lose either of Ingles or Hill. The Celtics can keep whoever they want, add Hayward, and add the #1 pick. Or trade the pick. Or trade Isiah. Or Bradley. Or Smart. Or Crowder. The Celtics are closer than the Jazz because they have more assets and more options, and are building on a #1 seed, not hoping to maintain a #5 seed.

I just want to know. Does anybody think the warriors is going to demolish the Cavs just because of the lack of talent the eastern conference has.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    I just want to know. Does anybody think the warriors is going to demolish the Cavs just because of the lack of talent the eastern conference has.
    Not at all.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Not at all.
    Idk why but I feel that way... I mean I know the same could be said about the warriors but I see it going to game 6 at the most

Idk why but I feel that way... I mean I know the same could be said about the warriors but I see it going to game 6 at the most
    Exactly. People are so quick to hate on the East, but the West was basically a cakewalk for GS outside SA (who would have been competitve with Leonard, Parker, and Lee) and HOU (who were eliminated by SA).
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 05-21-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Exactly. People are so quick to hate on the East, but the West was basically a cakewalk for GS outside SA (who would have been competitve with Leonard) and HOU (who were eliminated by SA).
    If Cavs were on the West I would give them the 3rd seed tbh

If Cavs were on the West I would give them the 3rd seed tbh
    The Cavs finished second in the East, so that's not really saying much. Particularly since one of the teams ahead of them in your scenario would be Golden State and the other presumably would be San Antonio, who are playing without Parker, Leonard, and Lee.

The level of play has been equally putrid in both conferences. Each team's true strength won't be revealed until they play each other.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 05-21-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Banned
    The Cavs are playing some Damn good ball.
    They will be hard to beat.

The Cavs finished second in the East, so that's not really saying much. Particularly since one of the teams ahead of them in your scenario would be Golden State and the other presumably would be San Antonio, who are playing without Parker, Leonard, and Lee.

The level of play has been equally putrid in both conferences. Each team's true strength won't be revealed until they play each other.
    Who do you see winning the finals honestly and in how many games?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Didn't Jazz get swept in the previous 2nd round?! My point wasn't that the Celtics were about to win a title, but that they are closer than the Jazz.

The Celtics are spent. They had an emotional first round with Thomas' tragedy and having to climb out of an 0-2 hole. Then they went 7 games in the best matchup of the playoffs thus far. And there reward has been a very well rested defending champion.

This offseason the Jazz have to hope they can bring back their team from last year, but could lose either of Ingles or Hill. The Celtics can keep whoever they want, add Hayward, and add the #1 pick. Or trade the pick. Or trade Isiah. Or Bradley. Or Smart. Or Crowder. The Celtics are closer than the Jazz because they have more assets and more options, and are building on a #1 seed, not hoping to maintain a #5 seed.
    Until Boston finds a legit #5, a stopper in the lane w/ at least average offensive skill, they wont win w/Hayward & Fultze either.Horford (listed as 6'10) Bwahaha, has ZERO intimidation factor & Olynyk,although 7'0", is a #4. Ainge is going to get a legit #5 someway this summer. If Utah happens to keep Ingles, Hill & Hayward, then they are an athletic #2 that shoots the 3-ball well, away from being a contender. UNTIL Boston gets a LANE protector,they wont compete. Most of there players are carbon copies of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Until Boston finds a legit #5, a stopper in the lane w/ at least average offensive skill, they wont win w/Hayward & Fultze either.Horford (listed as 6'10) Bwahaha, has ZERO intimidation factor & Olynyk,although 7'0", is a #4. Ainge is going to get a legit #5 someway this summer. If Utah happens to keep Ingles, Hill & Hayward, then they are an athletic #2 that shoots the 3-ball well, away from being a contender. UNTIL Boston gets a LANE protector,they wont compete. Most of there players are carbon copies of each other.
    The last time a team won a championship because they had "a legit #5, a stopper in the lane w/ at least average offensive skill," was 2011.

Add an athletic wing that shoots the 3-ball well to any team in the playoffs and they become a contender. Or at least as much a contender as anyone will be against the Warriors or Cavs.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 05-21-2017 at 09:58 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    They stole one cuz the Cavs took their foot off of their throats.

LeBron played horrificly bad. Skip Bayless is going to have fun tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    That's usually why teams who shouldn't win games end up stealing games in the playoffs. Cavs also started missing and Celtics started making.

Make or miss league. Or so they say.

LeBron played horrificly bad.
    Celtics also played the opposite of horrifically bad in the 2nd half.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    right and i hope they win the next 2 just for the cavs being cocky and not blowing them out 3 in a row......

Celtics also played the opposite of horrifically bad in the 2nd half.
    Cool.

Cool.
    Great.

Who do you see winning the finals honestly and in how many games?
    I lean Golden State in 6, but you can never discount a LeBron-led team. No point in prognosticating though. Just enjoy the buildup to what promises to be an entertaining series.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 05-21-2017 at 10:38 PM.

The last time a team won a championship because they had "a legit #5, a stopper in the lane w/ at least average offensive skill," was 2011.

Add an athletic wing that shoots the 3-ball well to any team in the playoffs and they become a contender. Or at least as much a contender as anyone will be against the Warriors or Cavs.
    Your specious simplistic argument is weak. 1) not all teams have LBJ .2) I said BOSTON won't win w/out legit #5 due to the teams make-up. 3) Give Boston your SuperWing (Hayward)& the are no closer to competing than they were this year. Give Boston Marc Gasol or Robin Lopez & they become immediate contender. You are contrary just for arguments sake. Btw-Duncan/Splitter were very good defensive #5's as was Bogut.

Since we have a legit #5, and are missing an athletic wing, does that mean we should write off any chance of winning a title?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Your specious simplistic argument is weak. 1) not all teams have LBJ .2) I said BOSTON won't win w/out legit #5 due to the teams make-up. 3) Give Boston your SuperWing (Hayward)& the are no closer to competing than they were this year. Give Boston Marc Gasol or Robin Lopez & they become immediate contender. You are contrary just for arguments sake. Btw-Duncan/Splitter were very good defensive #5's as was Bogut.
    I got your point, I just don't believe it to be true in the abstract. But you are 100% correct that if you add Marc Gasol or Robin Lopez to the Celtics they become better.

The question was whether or not Celtics were closer than Jazz to being contenders. Celtics could sign Hayward, and have the assets still to get a Lopez or Gasol, without sacrificing anything. They still have the 2018 Brooklyn pick, the 2019 Grizzlies pick, the 2019 Clippers pick.

But I don't disagree with your point that a #1 seed gets better if you add Marc Gasol or Robin Lopez. Good suggestions. Celtics have the assets to do it.

Can Jazz keep Hill and add an athletic 2 that shoots 3's? What assets do they have? And if they do find a way to add talent, while still playing 1950's style basketball, are they jumping the Spurs or Rockets? That team is a 4 seed at best.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Since we have a legit #5, and are missing an athletic wing, does that mean we should write off any chance of winning a title?
    No, it means we go get an athletic wing. I am deeply disappointed in you, GRACIOUS for NOT having faith in our extremely competent front office to do so.

Celtics are getting Zizic next year. There goes your "legit #5, a stopper in the lane w/ at least average offensive skill".

I forgot about him.

http://hardwoodhoudini.com/2017/03/2...te-ante-zizic/

One more CLE W before the playoffs really begin.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 05-23-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Thread Information