Pelicans Report

Thread: Dante question

The Franchise    Contributor   

Dante question

I'm not real clear on any sign and trade changes in the new CBA, so I have a Dante question. I know we've got his bird rights so we can offer him whatever to stay - and he's definitely somebody I'd like to keep. But are you still allowed to go over the cap to resign him if you are doing a sign and trade with him? Would us signing and trading him for an even higher dollar, bigger impact guy be possible? What about a s&at with him to the Knicks for holidays brother (who would also be a sign and trade for the Knicks) would something like that possibly open up more flexibility for us and give us more options of who we can go get?

It is allowed. There are limits on raises, etc. that make it so it is no better than a FA signing, but, you can definitely use the hell out of the exception to enable the trade. This is paper-possible but likely not reality-possible without more stuff, exceptional circumstance, etc. Much of this is moot depending on the cap holds and deals being bandied about. You can do a dual sign-and-trade. If we go under the cap, this stuff is far less likely. Not hugely likely in general, but an over-cap-to-over-cap situation is a place where sign-and-trade makes sense.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thread Information