Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fletcher is right !

Pelicans Fletcher is right !

Say what you want bout Fletch. He was right on the mark.

Captain obvious!

Easier said then done.
    Half the league is trying to do this.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    That's what they tried to do every year. It just doesn't always come out like that.

Fletcher gonna Fletch

I though Champ was Fletcher...

I don't see how anything he said there was anything but spot on. Saying, "oh we're just going to go out and win it all next year" isn't entirely reasonable (although I should note that if you gave Pat Riley Cousins/A.D. that's exactly what he would be aiming for), but you put together one of the great frontcourt pairings the league has seen, you absolutely have to get your eyes up off the ground and start making ambitious and aggressive moves. This is no longer a rebuild. And a single strong season (let's say at least threatening 50 wins and #6 or better seed) changes the whole game and could start an era as a perennial power. You need to do whatever you have to do to make that happen, whether that means keeping the GM or firing him, keeping the coach or firing him, sacrificing youth for the right vet, or future picks, or just anything. A door has opened up here to a bright future, you can't jsut shuffle around too scared to commit to it.

Banned
    Guys it's a tough business. Alvin Gentry is a low salary Head Coach in this league.
    He accepted this job to give it his best which after 60 wins out of 164 games is not enough.
    It's time for change but here is the kicker.
    Do we open the checkbook for high talent HC?
    Stay in house offer Darren Ermin the job?
    On the other hand does Benson really want to Win Big? Or try to be a 50 win team?
    I guess we will know the answers soon

You are not going to put bodies in the the seats as a team struggling to make a 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs. We learned that this season. If you want to make Davis & Cousins happy here it is above 5 seed next season or bust. Look at what Utah did this season, Houston. That Dennis guy understands his front office, STH's are frustrated with the same ole ****. Some change needs to happen quick.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Even with the excitement surrounding the acquisition of Boogie I decided to not renew my tickets. This team will continue to be delusional and bring back Gentry and Demps, and will be left wondering why they failed to meet expectations again after next season. Tired of wasting my money on it.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Even with the excitement surrounding the acquisition of Boogie I decided to not renew my tickets. This team will continue to be delusional and bring back Gentry and Demps, and will be left wondering why they failed to meet expectations again after next season. Tired of wasting my money on it.

you bailing out when the team is about to reap the boogie rewards lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Guys it's a tough business. Alvin Gentry is a low salary Head Coach in this league.
    He accepted this job to give it his best which after 60 wins out of 164 games is not enough.
    It's time for change but here is the kicker.
    Do we open the checkbook for high talent HC?
    Stay in house offer Darren Ermin the job?
    On the other hand does Benson really want to Win Big? Or try to be a 50 win team?
    I guess we will know the answers soon
    Hasn't Ermin earned every bit of that "60 wins out of 164 games" you pin on Gentry? Why would he be acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Did not reap the rewards this year under Demps/Gentry. Won't reap the rewards next year either if they return. Finally better hope Boogie stays healthy.

Banned
    Coach Ermin is the reason the defense is in the top 8 in the NBA not Alvin.
    I think the guy did a great job for that win in the Blender as HC when Alvin Gentry was kicked out for the game.
    I like his line up and bench work in that game.
    He knows the players and he is already on staff.

The problem with Fletcher's rant is that it seems devoid of the context of our situation.

We are cap strapped, asset depleted, and this is a fairly weak FA class in terms of depth.

In terms of front office movement, there seems to be no indicators that Demps or Gentry will be gone. Which means for good or worse we are relying on two people who have never proven they can build a contender, to right the ship and make us one.

I am honestly 50/50 on whether this isn't going to end up in Cousins AND Davis being gone in the next two seasons. Because if we foul this up with Cousins and he walks, you mine as well just blow it up because the AD era will be done.

Banned
    Champ
    Fletcher said something very important.
    He said this summer is the most important since the relocation from Charlotte.
    I say these are the moves:
    1-Clean House hire Calipari HC n GM.
    Or
    2- Release Alvin Gentry keep Demps. Move Darren Ermin to HC with his new staff.
    3- Draft a Point Guard make a trade up in the draft to get him.
    4- Go after Paul George at the 3 spot all cost.

Champ
    Or
    Under no scenario do we have the assets to do both of these things.

And unless we hit on out 4% chance of keeping our pick, we likely don't have assets for either of them.

I think the guy did a great job for that win in the Blender as HC when Alvin Gentry was kicked out for the game.
    Champ
    Or
    I'm sorry, but this is the stupidest thing I may have ever read on this forum. If you bring Gentry back, it doesn't work, and you make a change midseason, only then is Ermin an appropriate consideration as an interim head coach.

That 8th ranked defense is somewhat meaningless. It's a nice stat, but it's literally a couple of points away from being in the bottom half of the NBA again. They're closer statistically to the poor defense teams in the NBA than they are to the elite defensive teams, and they haven't been nearly as good as 8th since the Boogie trade.

Replacing Gentry with Ermin is one way to turn off NBA players.

And why would you get rid of a coach, survey the landscape, and decide an assistant coach on a lottery team, with no head coaching experience is the best fit?!?!?

If this happened I'd find another team to support.

Banned
    Darren Ermin will be a HC sooner or later.
    He is considered a Defensive Guru among the current NBA Up n coming coaches.
    Why not now? Look what a coaching change did for Washington and Houston.
    I say give him the chance. He is already on staff and wouldn't cost much money for the first year.
    Obviously cutting Alvin Gentry they loose money. So that move makes sense on the financial situation

Jason Kidd, Tyrunn Lue, former assistant coaches and better than Gentry.

Darren Ermin will be a HC sooner or later.
    He is considered a Defensive Guru among the current NBA Up n coming coaches.
    Why not now? Look what a coaching change did for Washington and Houston.
    I say give him the chance. He is already on staff and wouldn't cost much money for the first year.
    Obviously cutting Alvin Gentry they loose money. So that move makes sense on the financial situation
    because you can't miss.

When I said you had to get serious about getting it done, that this truly was the most important summer, it wasn't with an eye to throwing the whole time sensitive endeavor to an untested assistant coach.

The March run showed that while Gentry may not be an ace, even with a team just learning itself and a bunch of mediocre ill fitting pieces, its entirely possible the Pels would be a playoff quality team next year even if he is retained. I have never, before or after he was hired by the Pels, been a Gentry believer. Thought it was a bad hire and don't like his coaching philosophy. But he was starting to get some results. If you are going to make a move for a new coach, you should be making a move for one who walks in with a PROVEN resume of doing better than that. It would be catastrophic to find out that several months into the season you had hired a guy who just wasn't ready. That's why assistants getting their first jobs normally do it for young lottery teams. The stakes are lower, and they can work out the kinks without damaging things.

While its often not healthy, I think you also should be talking to A.D. and Cuz about how they feel about Gentry. If those two guys like whoever the coach is, buy in and are ready to back him, then that coach is going to have a huge leg up on turning this thing.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 04-14-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Again, it was observed by fans and hinted by AD after the game that Erman was completely confused and unorganized when he had to take over. Maybe he can be a good head coach, but that game was no shining hour even though they won.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    I don't think they're going to reap the rewards of anything. I just have zero confidence that this team over 82 games can meet or exceed expectations with Gentry leading them.

Banned
    Lucky man not sure where you heard that BS.
    Every post game report raved over Ermin after that big win over the Clippers.
    Hell even Doc Rivers said he was shocked to see the small ball line up Ermin put on the floor.
    Which Alvin Gentry stayed with the rest of the Year.

No one on this staff (GM down to Training Staff) will take us to the promised land. Back the tank up to a landfill and find competent staff to replace the old staff. It can be done. My job just did it LOL.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Lucky man not sure where you heard that BS.
    Every post game report raved over Ermin after that big win over the Clippers.
    Hell even Doc Rivers said he was shocked to see the small ball line up Ermin put on the floor.
    Which Alvin Gentry stayed with the rest of the Year.
    AD said in the post game Ermin nervous and they kind of stepped up to help him. I thought I read somewhere that Pack called the offense but I can't verify that part.

Thread Information