Pelicans Report

Thread: Corpus Christi, TX City Council Exploring Proposal for Pelican's D-League Franchise

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar

NBDL Corpus Christi, TX City Council Exploring Proposal for Pelican's D-League Franchise

With the success of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in Hidalgo, TX (3 hours away) and the proximity to 3 other D-League teams (Austin, Dallas, OKC), Corpus Christi, TX and their venue, the American Bank Center (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bank_Center), feel like they would make an ideal home for a minor-league basketball franchise, specifically the Pelicans D-League team to start play in 2018-19.

With a population of 440,000 in the metropolitan area, heavy oil & gas development, a future cruise ship terminal, and an ideal 10,000 arena setup specifically for basketball, councilman Ben Molina and others will present city manager Margie Rose with the opportunity and steps required to submit a formal proposal to the Pelicans management team. This will happen at a Corpus Christi City Council meeting within the next few weeks. The city and arena have been very aggressive in seeking development for their budding SEA (Sports, Entertainment, and Art) District and its location on the Corpus Christi waterfront. (http://seadistrictcc.com/)

While this is from left field, my sources tell me that Corpus Christi could gather momentum to become a formidable contender to host the Pelicans future D-League franchise.

Stay tuned...

Nice! Corpus Christi is a beautiful and diverse city too.

Agreed... a large Hispanic population (meets NBA's focus on global growth) and growing industry. Hey, this is how things like this happen. A group of motivated people see an opportunity to improve their city and aggressively act upon it, that is what I see going on here. This council is very hungry to attract business and development to the city and have used some attractive incentives to do so.

I would have expected a location closer in proximity to New Orleans (maybe along the coast).

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I was hoping for either somewhere in Louisiana or something east of here.

Would rather see the team closer to NOLA, but if Corpus Christi is willing to give Benson a sweet deal, I won't be surprised if the team winds up there.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

I think it is a good deal. Remember Benson has some businesses in the Texas area so this would actually make sense. Seems like a nice town.

The Franchise    Contributor   

Didn't most of Benson's TX business go to the crazy daughter and grand daughter? It sounds like the town and the arena make sense for a Dleague team - but not for ours. It needs to be a town that can reasonably help with driving interest that translates to dollars for the team. Mostly through ticket sales and merchandise as it won't factor in to TV ratings. The local sponsor dollars for a minor league team will be negligible, might *might* help with some regional sponsor dollars from folks like Budweiser or State Farm, but I doubt it. If not for LSU, Baton Rouge would far and away make the most sense, but no sense in competing with all the Tigers events. I lean Lafayette over Biloxi just because I think being in-state is better than out, but being the 'primary' tenant in that little arena on the gulf coast may be better than being secondary in the Cajun Dome. But I don't feel like I know enough yet to be sure

I guess if Mobile, Biloxi nor Lafayette can get their shtick together... Corpus Christi might be a decent option. Can't see them ever being hardcore Pel fans though, too close to Houston.
    asdfghjkl;'

Obviously I don't live there, but the idea of going to Texas - especially right over to CC seems crazy. Every division rival looks closer. Distance is a thing obviously and people/market, but from an Australian standpoint the idea of say a Brisbane team opening a development team in Sydney closer to rivals is crazy. Would you really win many fans over with such large established organizations already so close? Especially when you could stay within the state easily (Shreveport and Baton Rouge look to be the bigger markets - smaller than CC, though I assume they would be able to pull in the state support?) or go East and take advantage of a market with no major NBA team as the obvious local choice (Mobile - I assume people there randomly pick a team with a local player, or don't care for the NBA that much?). Again, an outsider looking in.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    Obviously I don't live there, but the idea of going to Texas - especially right over to CC seems crazy. Every division rival looks closer. Distance is a thing obviously and people/market, but from an Australian standpoint the idea of say a Brisbane team opening a development team in Sydney closer to rivals is crazy. Would you really win many fans over with such large established organizations already so close? Especially when you could stay within the state easily (Shreveport and Baton Rouge look to be the bigger markets - smaller than CC, though I assume they would be able to pull in the state support?) or go East and take advantage of a market with no major NBA team as the obvious local choice (Mobile - I assume people there randomly pick a team with a local player, or don't care for the NBA that much?). Again, an outsider looking in.
    I thought this about the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, Houston's D-League affiliate, since they are so much closer to San Antonio than Houston. I think having these 4 teams so close together is beneficial to these team's scheduling and travel throughout the season. There is a lot of love for New Orleans in Corpus Christi as it is a popular travel destination. Like I said, it is far from a sure thing, but their proactive approach and desire to add to their pro-sports tenants at the American Bank Center.

This city does support their minor league teams, the Corpus Christi Hooks (Astro's AA) and Corpus Christi Ice Rays. In fact, the Ice Rays just set an attendance record for the North American Hockey League and have led that league in attendance 4 straight seasons... Ice Hockey in South Texas?!

http://www.goicerays.com/icerays-rea...-straight-year

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-9.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	6276

Name:	whataburger_field_footer_photo_85abjd4x.jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	6277

Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie713 View Post
    I thought this about the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, Houston's D-League affiliate, since they are so much closer to San Antonio than Houston. I think having these 4 teams so close together is beneficial to these team's scheduling and travel throughout the season. There is a lot of love for New Orleans in Corpus Christi as it is a popular travel destination. Like I said, it is far from a sure thing, but their proactive approach and desire to add to their pro-sports tenants at the American Bank Center.

This city does support their minor league teams, the Corpus Christi Hooks (Astro's AA) and Corpus Christi Ice Rays. In fact, the Ice Rays just set an attendance record for the North American Hockey League and have led that league in attendance 4 straight seasons... Ice Hockey in South Texas?!

http://www.goicerays.com/icerays-rea...-straight-year

Name:	1-9.jpg 
Size:	263.7 KB 
ID:	6276

Name:	whataburger_field_footer_photo_85abjd4x.jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	6277
    Definitely hear the scheduling side with having all the teams close, especially as they all run by bus I believe. And part of my post was also just discussion to get a bit more of an insight into things from those who live in the areas too (the CC holiday destination is a cool bit of info for example that as an outsider we wouldn't really know ). Funnily enough I have a good mate who moved to the US a few years back and was living in New Orleans, so i go him into the Pels. He then moved over to Austin and reeeeally got into the lower league ice hockey around.

I was listening to Jake's podcast this morning (it was one from last week I believe) and he spoke around the d-league team, how they choose smaller places to really get the community involved and drive the family focus to bring everyone to games which is nice. Did they set a date as to when a decision is aimed to be made? The ability to have the support and facilities ready is a big piece surely.

Thread Information