Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Must Changes for 2017/2018 season

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    Dell needs to go. How many years do you think other owners would give him?? With an even worse team Monty got us to the playoffs but they had different philosophies so Dell fired Monty. Then he hires a very poor head coach and everyone is ok with that? In this day and age Dell has had ample time and look at our record the last couple of years don't look at Cousins trade that's just smoke and mirrors. Both have to go or I'm out!
    It's not smoke and mirrors. Boogie is actually on our team. People act like Dell had the Boogie trade fall into his lap when Philly was asking for basically a similar package for Okafor. Whatever Dell was offering to them he stood firm on and Philly balked. Now we have our foundational piece. He has to get credit for that. The time to fire him was any one of these past few summers. He did what he's been trying to do since he traded Chris Paul and lucked into AD. He brought a legit star to NOLA. That has to matter at least for one more summer. I'm telling you, we've never seen Dell have this much leverage. He doesn't have to take the same gambles to get the higher payout. Now that he has the 2nd star he can go after guys based on what he can reasonable expect and not project as much. This is a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Dell should have dumped Jrue when he had the chance.
    Now he will walk out the door which is good for the ball club but on the other hand bad business because we could have gotten something out of a trade.
    The Kings didn't want Jrue. They stood firm on Heid.

I think we have one big hole in finding a true PG to control the offense (a not really looking to score) and two small holes in finding a back-up wing( a 6'7 or taller shooter that can shoot the 3 pt) and a back-up big (a shot blocker and rebounding with size guy). Here's how the team looks to me now:
    PG- Open(true PG)/Moore/Fraizer
    SG- Holiday/Crawford/Open (back-up wing)
    SF-Hill/Open(back-up wing)/Cunningham
    PF-Davis/Diallo/Cunningham
    C-Cousins/Open(back-up big)/Diallo

Ideally, I would like to get Rubio or someone like him to play the true PG position. He doesn't need to score more than 12 ppgs but needs to find the open guy and play defense. The back-up wing or big could be the second round pick. It needs to be a guy on a bargain deal. Also, the back-up big could be a guy like Thomas Robinson or someone like him to come off the bench and protect the rim and get rebounds. I think we are a 6-7th seed without those pieces but with those pieces we could be a 3 seed.

It is obvious that with Davis/Cousins this offense needs a pass-first PG. Frazier is that, but, not reliable enough long term. Holiday isn't that, but obviously offers a lot elsewhere. But can he survive as a 2-guard if the Pels brought in another PG?

Banned
    Underscore Jrue cannot handle the starting 2.
    When he is matched up against the leagues best he gets eaten up bad.
    Crawford I believe Can. He processes a skill set to be a flat out scorer
    He is quick off the dribble and can stroke it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Underscore Jrue cannot handle the starting 2.
    When he is matched up against the leagues best he gets eaten up bad.
    Crawford I believe Can. He processes a skill set to be a flat out scorer
    He is quick off the dribble and can stroke it.
    Jrue's potential value is on the other side. And that's critical, because you build a Twin Tower team you absolutely should pile up as many perimeter defenders as its possible to stack up and try to just smother teams.

Crawford had a fun run, and he was always that guy. Play dumb, take bad shots...but hit them with raw talent and boundless confidence/ego. But he was never a defender, nor a guy who showed any discipline to play in a system. He's a born 6th man "give me the ball and get out of the way" offensive spakplug guy.

Dell and Alvin must go or we'll be having this same conversation next year and the next. As to AD Dell gets no credit for this. The commissioner gave us that one. As to Cousins yes it was luck but I will admit he got him. But we are bad now and next season because of numerous mistakes by Dell. Giving up a lot for Evans, giving up our lottery pick for useless Jrue who by the way has been off the court more than on the court during his tenure, another lottery for 100% useless Asik, using a lottery 10th pick for Rivers, giving away part of our future Buddy another high lottery pick, giving away this years lottery pick should I go on. And bringing in numerous backups that will never amount to quality NBA players. And of course firing Monty and while I agreed with that move it was ONLY with the stipulation that he'd bring in a quality coach which of course he did not. So while half luck half work got Cousins (who by the way we are quaranteed he'll be here longterm) some jump for joy as though Dell is a good GM. Go figure?

I'm sure we could hire the entire Spurs organization and if we didn't win, the same group of people would be in here calling for change.

Geez, jrue did look horrible as of late, but to those saying he needs to go (like he sucks) tune in to watch the last guys u said had to go contribute to playoff teams

Gordon, Aminu, Anderson

Point is, don't wish a guy gone before having a predecessor ready to roll

There's a rea son jrue is considered a better FA than any of those that we will sign

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    It's not smoke and mirrors. Boogie is actually on our team. People act like Dell had the Boogie trade fall into his lap when Philly was asking for basically a similar package for Okafor. Whatever Dell was offering to them he stood firm on and Philly balked. Now we have our foundational piece. He has to get credit for that. The time to fire him was any one of these past few summers. He did what he's been trying to do since he traded Chris Paul and lucked into AD. He brought a legit star to NOLA. That has to matter at least for one more summer. I'm telling you, we've never seen Dell have this much leverage. He doesn't have to take the same gambles to get the higher payout. Now that he has the 2nd star he can go after guys based on what he can reasonable expect and not project as much. This is a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    this is what I think too

Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    Dell and Alvin must go or we'll be having this same conversation next year and the next. As to AD Dell gets no credit for this. The commissioner gave us that one. As to Cousins yes it was luck but I will admit he got him. But we are bad now and next season because of numerous mistakes by Dell. Giving up a lot for Evans, giving up our lottery pick for useless Jrue who by the way has been off the court more than on the court during his tenure, another lottery for 100% useless Asik, using a lottery 10th pick for Rivers, giving away part of our future Buddy another high lottery pick, giving away this years lottery pick should I go on. And bringing in numerous backups that will never amount to quality NBA players. And of course firing Monty and while I agreed with that move it was ONLY with the stipulation that he'd bring in a quality coach which of course he did not. So while half luck half work got Cousins (who by the way we are quaranteed he'll be here longterm) some jump for joy as though Dell is a good GM. Go figure?
    This is what I don't get. Even if you are saying Demps breaks even as a GM after 7 years is IMO more than a resume worth firing. Even pulling a rabbit out of his hat and getting Cousins this still is a average to below average team and Dell is responsible for it.

we need a coach who knows how to properly use talented superstar bigs. we need a gm who knows how to build as well as win now. we have a playoff roster... just need the guys to put it together.

You need a gm and coach who are on the same page.

The GM acquires the players who will play in the coaches system, Demps has done a crap job of that.

The coach gets the players in a position to have success, Gentry has done a crap job of that.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You need a gm and coach who are on the same page.

The GM acquires the players who will play in the coaches system, Demps has done a crap job of that.

The coach gets the players in a position to have success, Gentry has done a crap job of that.

Don't worry. A new poll is coming up soon.

We need DC back. He's the only guy on our team that does the smart things on a basketball court (not to mention the only guy who has ever made a backdoor cut on this team). Need those guys to round out the 8th man type spots on a team. I personally think hes better than Solo but that's just me

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Boogie's conditioning needs to improve.

Hill's role. He needs to be watch tape of Iguodala and try to be that.

Frazier has to be replaced in the starting lineup by someone other than Crawford or Moore. Those two are perfect off the bench.

Jrue Holiday can't be your primary ball handler.

I don't think this team is a championship team next year, but I think it's a playoff team. Some people think Demps/Gentry have to go, but I think you only replace them if you have a clear and consensus upgrade. Calipari is the only name out there that's exciting and whether that worked or not would depend entirely on the quality of his assistants.
    Instant Grits has probably numbered Moore's days here. They do the same thing on the court & Grits is much cheaper. 8 or 9 man rotation-there are not enough minutes for both of them. Grits is going to be your 6th man. Moore can be traded-His contract really isn't that bad & teams can use someone like him. I hope Cunningham re-signs, but he may get a better offer & bolt. I guess D-Mo is not in the plans. I like Solo when he attacks. He has really good handle that he is finally putting to use. I, for one didn't think Jrue was worth max to play his natural position(pg) . I certainly ain't gonna pay him to be our (SG) .
    If Utah drains LAC, the Clips will be blown up. Who knows- grab CP & Jj & become instant contender. With stretching contracts & trades & possible med exemptions, we could give CP, north of 20 (22) & Jj 12-16.. I don't know if that's enough for Jj, but ! Cp-jj-Solo-Boogie-AD. . Dante-Grits-Chieck & a veteran PG for the rotation
    We can all dream of driving Rolls Royce's & Jaguars, but if the captain of the ship is a used car salesman at a Smart car dealership, OH WELL . I don't like Gentry!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Instant Grits has probably numbered Moore's days here. They do the same thing on the court & Grits is much cheaper. 8 or 9 man rotation-there are not enough minutes for both of them. Grits is going to be your 6th man. Moore can be traded-His contract really isn't that bad & teams can use someone like him. I hope Cunningham re-signs, but he may get a better offer & bolt. I guess D-Mo is not in the plans. I like Solo when he attacks. He has really good handle that he is finally putting to use. I, for one didn't think Jrue was worth max to play his natural position(pg) . I certainly ain't gonna pay him to be our (SG) .
    If Utah drains LAC, the Clips will be blown up. Who knows- grab CP & Jj & become instant contender. With stretching contracts & trades & possible med exemptions, we could give CP, north of 20 (22) & Jj 12-16.. I don't know if that's enough for Jj, but ! Cp-jj-Solo-Boogie-AD. . Dante-Grits-Chieck & a veteran PG for the rotation
    We can all dream of driving Rolls Royce's & Jaguars, but if the captain of the ship is a used car salesman at a Smart car dealership, OH WELL . I don't like Gentry!
    i think gentry wants grits & moore to be able to do the same thing. They are both combo guards who can score. feel like that's gentry's ideal bench backcourt. I think frazier's days are more numbered than anyone else in the backcourt

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    i think gentry wants grits & moore to be able to do the same thing. They are both combo guards who can score. feel like that's gentry's ideal bench backcourt. I think frazier's days are more numbered than anyone else in the backcourt
    Maybe. IMHO , Moore can NOT play point. He's too slow, weak handle & not very athletic . Grits can play point for some spells. He's athletic & decisive. If Moore is on the court as our Point, we are in trouble. I am Not a. Frazier fan, either. Too much of a liability on defense. So, if we pick-up a starting #1 & #2 (NOT Jrue) & find a Felton type back-up #1, Moore will be expendable at 8 mill per. He would be 5th option at Guard for 8 mill per.

All I'm saying is if we go into next season with Dell, Gentry, and Jrue as our starting PG we will be a 500 or a little less than 500 team next year and after 7 years with Dell and 2 miserable years with Alvin and a bunch of bad years and injury years for Jrue we NEED some big changes, period. And as Albert Einstein put in, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" so very true even in todays world. I want an exciting team and a very competitive playoff team seeded between 1 - 5 (no less than that) or we're all wasting our time and money. CHANGES NEEDED BIG TIME or just more of the same, just watch.

Thread Information