Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Must Changes for 2017/2018 season

Must Changes for 2017/2018 season

I for one vote for a new coach, new GM, and a new starting point guard. Anything less than this and next season will be another mess. I know some will immediately disagree because we ended up with Cousins BUT that move really didn't show much improvement. If we rest on our laurels with the same ole same ole our best will once again be fighting for the 8th seed and as I've explained before in a league where more than 50% make the playoffs not making the playoffs with at least a 6th seed, 7th at the worst really isn't showing much. Speaking for myself and several friends unless we see some major changes the Pelicans have lost more fans. Fan support will drop off big time if these moves aren't made. And speaking of coaches Byron Scott, Tim Floyd, Alvin Gentry, and although I love the guy, Monty Williams, all are assistant coaches in the NBA. NONE are head coach material, period. Come on Tom Benson pull the trigger and shake up the Pelicans or all of us including you will be sorry.

My wishlist

Fire Gentry- He is a career nobody. How are you supposed to get to the top of the mountain with a man who is a career loser? Besides, his system is guard focused, and this team is now a big focused team.

Fire Demps- He is either incompetent by supplying his coaches with players that don't fit their systems, or he is looking for security to lay blame on his coaches when those coaches don't perform well.

After that, let the next coach and gm work together to determine what type of players they need in their big focused offense.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    I for one vote for a new coach, new GM, and a new starting point guard. Anything less than this and next season will be another mess. I know some will immediately disagree because we ended up with Cousins BUT that move really didn't show much improvement.
    Showed lots of improvement to me. Given the state of the roster post trade and losing Casspi on top of all that. Needed to work Crawford in as well. Major changes are NOT needed.

However Jrue Holiday is not that 3rd banana. Thats pretty obvious to everyone including the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Showed lots of improvement to me. Given the state of the roster post trade and losing Casspi on top of all that. Needed to work Crawford in as well. Major changes are NOT needed.

However Jrue Holiday is not that 3rd banana. Thats pretty obvious to everyone including the coaches.
    Really?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If they got Joe Dumas that would make sense, but I can't think of a coach who would do better. Except maybe a college coach or former player.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Yea i dont know how obvious it is to the coaches and organization... granted of course they are going to say this is his place etc. But man, i dont know how obvious it is to the coaches and team

Sent from my Phone
    No Trade List: Hornets

Y'all already know how I feel so I will go a different route. Get rid of the Mr. Microphone system in the Arena and get a real sound system. Also get us a new DJ/ sound effects person. Bring back Rob Nice.

It's starts with the top and Demps needs to go. I'd agree Gentry isn't a great fit for the roster, but I'd leave that up to the new GM.

Can we just get an expansion team and start from scratch? Seriously though it's painfully obvious we need to make a coaching and GM change. As I've stated before the Cousins deal just happened to fall in
    the Pels lap. The Kings wanted to make a move and the Pels were willing to meet their demands. So Demps gets zero credit from me on that move. Anyway the jury is still out on how successful the deal is
    for the Pels in the long run. That being said Demps has had more than enough time to fix the Pels and he continues to fail miserably. Gentry like Luke Walton in L.A. are living off the success they were given credit
    for on a very talented roster (Warriors) that even I could have guided to the playoffs. Now look at their combined records as head coaches this season. I hope Loomis and ownership pulls the trigger and makes the necessary changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Y'all already know how I feel so I will go a different route. Get rid of the Mr. Microphone system in the Arena and get a real sound system. Also get us a new DJ/ sound effects person. Bring back Rob Nice.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I hate the sound system and the music playlist.

What time is the press conference today?

Must change: Stop Losing

the Magic already canned their GM

when do the Pelicans make their move?
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What time is the press conference today?
    This
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Banned
    Alvin Gentry is asking for a contract Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post

Banned
    LOL
    I just wanted to get you guys a Good Morning giggle.
    Now When is the Press Conference?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Boogie's conditioning needs to improve.

Hill's role. He needs to be watch tape of Iguodala and try to be that.

Frazier has to be replaced in the starting lineup by someone other than Crawford or Moore. Those two are perfect off the bench.

Jrue Holiday can't be your primary ball handler.

I don't think this team is a championship team next year, but I think it's a playoff team. Some people think Demps/Gentry have to go, but I think you only replace them if you have a clear and consensus upgrade. Calipari is the only name out there that's exciting and whether that worked or not would depend entirely on the quality of his assistants.

Frazier has to be replaced in the starting lineup by someone other than Crawford or Moore. Those two are perfect off the bench.

Jrue Holiday can't be your primary ball handler.
    This really is the key. Do you keep future assets and do a minor upgrade over Frazier like signing Darren Collison, or do you trade Moore + 1st + Frazier and maybe even Diallo for a major upgrade like Dragic or Bledsoe? Or maybe somewhere in between going after Rubio or Lin.

agree

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post

I agree and have for years. The arena's announcers and sound are simply subpar!

if that's true that he's asking for a contract extension if I were Loomis I'd fire him just on that comment alone. Gentry has always been a loser. Loomis and Dell went the cheap route by signing a back up coach when the signed Alvin. Nice guy just like Monty but awful coach. Ever wonder why some guys in the NFL can be defensive or offensive coordinators buy can't be successful as a head coach. Perfect example of this is Wade Phillips a great great defensive coordilnator but awful head coach. Gentry is an assistant and if we keep both dell and demps team enthusiasm will drop with the players and fans. Time for a change. Every time we get close to these guys getting fired, demps gives up our draft picks and makes a move. It's all designed to give them more time which clearly they don't deserve. Oh and while i was one that agreed Monty should go it was because the goal should be to win the championship. I thought he was a 500 coach give or take I didn't think that he could ever be much more plus he also had time to prove it but didn't BUT when they hired Alvin I knew knew knew that was a mistake. This season I dvd'd most games and sped through most because I could see we lose way more than we'd win. Bad players, bad startling lineup, no true point guard, and most players on this team are backups just like the coach and Dell. I simply cannot follow this team or just incidentally in the future without changes. The bottomline is Gentry and Dell will be gone sooner or later because they will never be successful here so why not now after a terrible season. and for the people that defend him and dell they are just satisfied with mediocre at the very best. And for those what do you think New England football fans would demand if Bellichik retired and they hire some other losing head coach. It would take 1 or 2 years and they'd move on. You even want an eventual championship or you are content with just having a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Must Changes for 2017/2018 season

I think we need to give Dell the opportunity to tweak the roster without a gun to his head desperately seeking talent. He's earned that with the Boogie trade. I agree that Alvin is probably overrated as a coach, but I think most coaches are overrated a little bit. Plus this team is not good at making open shots, this is not the coaches fault.

My true concern is Jrue. He's not cut out for the life of third banana. I'm confident Dell recognizes this and will act accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Really?
    Yes. The minute they had to force Frazier back into the starting lineup and change Jrue's role. There is no max or near max player you have to do that for.

They had to replace his role with Tim Frazier I said. If thats not obvious I don't know what is.

I honestly think he should make near or less than Ryan Anderson.

Dell needs to go. How many years do you think other owners would give him?? With an even worse team Monty got us to the playoffs but they had different philosophies so Dell fired Monty. Then he hires a very poor head coach and everyone is ok with that? In this day and age Dell has had ample time and look at our record the last couple of years don't look at Cousins trade that's just smoke and mirrors. Both have to go or I'm out!

Thread Information