Pelicans Report

Thread: Cheick Diallo is your 3rd big man

Cheick Diallo is your 3rd big man

Next year, whoever is coaching this team needs to make a point of having Diallo be the 1st big off the bench. He is an impressive talent that has shown he can handle the work load of a starter. He is growing quite well, and he only figures to do more of that as he goes into next year.

Cousins/Diallo/Ajinca
    AD/Diallo/DC
    Hill/ FA
    Jrue/ Crawford
    Moore/Frazier/Draft Pick
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Together they shall become King Ghidorah. The three headed monster. Dude has a world of talent. He's a lot more similar to AD than first glance. One key to be a great big in this league is great feet and great hands. AD has 'em. Cousins has 'em.

I saw great hands on that improbable catch near the rim from Diallo, very similar to something AD did way back in Kentucky. And then he's like 20 and he did a Dream Shake.

Very exciting future we have here.

Don't screw it up.

Thank you! Can we let Jrue walk now?

Basketball Guru
    come on now...diallo is not ready to be the 3rd big of the bench and he definitely is not ready to play center on a playoff team.....he is loss on defense and playing defense will get him on the court with this team...diallo is about a 3rd year away from being in the rotation......we all know its playoffs or bust next season so i dont see diallo being active next season.......

If the team was to go after t.jones or a vet big which they should go after a PF,,who would be the backup PF, jones or diallo?......diallo will learn from working out with AD and boogie in the off season plus he has to add some weight but he is not ready to be a factor next season on this team that has to much riding on the playoffs......imo gentry is not going to fool around with a raw player next season while his job is on the line.....

Im just praying that we develop him for the future and dont add him in some type of trade......

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    DNP-Coach's Decisions are not how players improve.

Keeping him on the team, but not letting him play is stupid. If AD and Cousins are healthy and we have the backups we want, Diallo needs to be in D-League, continuing to work on his game.

But frankly, what I saw was enough to say he just needs more minutes. He'll never get experience if we don't give it to him. Let him be lost on defense. Coach him in the way to play.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    DNP-Coach's Decisions are not how players improve.

Keeping him on the team, but not letting him play is stupid. If AD and Cousins are healthy and we have the backups we want, Diallo needs to be in D-League, continuing to work on his game.

But frankly, what I saw was enough to say he just needs more minutes. He'll never get experience if we don't give it to him. Let him be lost on defense. Coach him in the way to play.

i said it on another thread but i should have said it here too that i think diallo will be inactive next season and be on our Gatorade team....

The saying "Next year its playoffs or bust" is the new " Maybe Next year" just with a few words after it. You don't realize it, but that is what you're saying. And how long have we been saying "maybe next year" and thats just about our chances of making at the 8th seed....with AD on this roster. I think its time we come to terms with the fact that it will always be "maybe next year" with this organization until we see some major changes.

Diallo will be ready to be a major contributor next year. Giving his minuets to a Jones, DMo, Ajinca, or whatever other guy with no upside we bring in will further prove how much this team doesn't get "it" (like that wasn't up for debate before).

Defense is his liability for sure (he has a defensive win share of .001), but what you need to play defense is athleticism and smarts. He has the athleticism to make the leap, and with repetition and work in the summer, he can work his way from being a liability on defense, to being a contributor on a playoff team like Lucas Nogueira (whos defensive win share went from -.001->.009->.029) or Joffrey Lauvergne (whos defensive win share went from .001->.005->.012).

The Franchise
    I love the hustle and some of his offensive game like the mid range jump shot. He needs to increase his size and leaping ability for starters. I don't see him being a good rebounder right now and getting out jumped for live balls. His transition defense ain't the best either. The Golden state game he didn't want anything to do with guarding McGee and if your one of the bigs on the floor you have to get a body on him. These things can be corrected but not sure if one offseason is enough. If I was coaching him first I'd put him in the weight room, second work on the hops for rebounding purposes (because to me that is where he would need to make the biggest impact to get playing time) and third work on the corner 3. Extend the range and become our new Dante Cunningham. I do hope he improves enough so we can allow Cunningham to walk because I think Dante is in line for a big payday and not the candy bar.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The saying "Next year its playoffs or bust" is the new " Maybe Next year" just with a few words after it. You don't realize it, but that is what you're saying. And how long have we been saying "maybe next year" and thats just about our chances of making at the 8th seed....with AD on this roster. I think its time we come to terms with the fact that it will always be "maybe next year" with this organization until we see some major changes.

Diallo will be ready to be a major contributor next year. Giving his minuets to a Jones, DMo, Ajinca, or whatever other guy with no upside we bring in will further prove how much this team doesn't get "it" (like that wasn't up for debate before).

Defense is his liability for sure (he has a defensive win share of .001), but what you need to play defense is athleticism and smarts. He has the athleticism to make the leap, and with repetition and work in the summer, he can work his way from being a liability on defense, to being a contributor on a playoff team like Lucas Nogueira (whos defensive win share went from -.001->.009->.029) or Joffrey Lauvergne (whos defensive win share went from .001->.005->.012).

one big change is cousins....we now have the best big men in the game.....that dont equal to maybe next year,,,this team should/better make the playoffs with jrue or not.....AD dont have to worry about playing that 5 position next season....if we have the same health as this season then this team is in and you can book that.....

A lot of posters was saying that we was going to make the playoffs this season....some said 3-5 seed lol...this season was that maybe but now with the best bigs in the game,,we done made the next move to succeed to the next step....

Now to diallo...im just saying that i dont see gentry and demps fooling around with a raw player as the backup PF while their jobs are on the line with AD and boogie next season....i just dont see it.......imo every pelican fan will expect this team to make the playoffs next season,,,,the NBA talking heads will expect that.......i just dont see gentry and demps giving the keys to a raw player as the backup PF with these exceptions high as they all now......maybe im wrong but the off season will tell......

All-Star

Cheick Diallo is your 3rd big man

Diallo Will be a very solid player, and I expect him not to be a Pelican when his rookie contract ends up. He will give us a solid back up and will be traded out at a high price in 3 seasons.
    That makes him a very valuable asset in the way we are building the team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    This year you've got Davis at 36 minutes per game and Cousins at 34 minutes per game. Perhaps those could come down a little. But let's assume it remains the same. That's 70 minutes at the 4/5 or big man positions. Without taking into account odd lineups, you need another 26 minutes at those positions to fill a regular game. I'd like to see Diallo getting at least 15 of those minutes per game next season, if not more. He needs more game time burn.

I LOVE Diallo's potential. I don't think there's a person on this entire forum that believes he has a higher peak than me.

But I'm not ready to say he is our 3rd big, yet. I have to see how he develops over the summer and in the pre season games.

Diallo is still 20 years old. He's super raw. His body needs to develop more. He has the talent to be AD lite or a Faried/Tristan Thompson type player. But he's a lot more raw since he played soccer for so long and not basketball.

There's no reason to rush his development. Especially not with the playoffs being our goal. Bring him along slowly and let him forcably take minutes from Cunningham and all our other backup bigs with his play.

There's 96 minutes between both big positions. Assuming 70 will be split between AD and Cousins that leaves 26 to play with. Maybe we can eventually play all 3 together (with AD or more likely Diallo guarding the SF) for some minutes but that's a ways away still. For now, him cracking the lineup at all next year will be a great step forward in his development.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I LOVE Diallo's potential. I don't think there's a person on this entire forum that believes he has a higher peak than me.

But I'm not ready to say he is our 3rd big, yet. I have to see how he develops over the summer and in the pre season games.

Diallo is still 20 years old. He's super raw. His body needs to develop more. He has the talent to be AD lite or a Faried/Tristan Thompson type player. But he's a lot more raw since he played soccer for so long and not basketball.

There's no reason to rush his development. Especially not with the playoffs being our goal. Bring him along slowly and let him forcably take minutes from Cunningham and all our other backup bigs with his play.

There's 96 minutes between both big positions. Assuming 70 will be split between AD and Cousins that leaves 26 to play with. Maybe we can eventually play all 3 together (with AD or more likely Diallo guarding the SF) for some minutes but that's a ways away still. For now, him cracking the lineup at all next year will be a great step forward in his development.
    Yeah he definitely has potential. I briefly thought about all 3 on the floor bit it would have to be Diablo at 3 he is the fastest but I'm not sure that is fast enough in this leafie.
    I'm a grinder

Playoffs being our goal? Man, playoffs have been our goal for the last 2 years, and we haven't made them. Giving playing time to Diallo isn't standing in the way of us making the playoffs, it's injuries and stupid decisions by the front office and coaches.

You see the potential that Diallo has, and it isn't going to magically improve gluing him to a bench. He needs spin. Going to Kansas he was a top tier prospect, and him not getting playing time had nothing to do with a lack of talent, it had to do with outside circumstances. Th kid is still a top level talent, and you don't go sitting him on the bench, that's how you have guys like Brandon Bass leaving here and blowing up elsewhere, because they never got any run in New Orleans.

Diallo won't be ready for that next year. He'll only be 20 and still too light in the butt. Even lighter than AD when he first got here. He's even smaller than most SFs.

He's basically like a euro stash but on this side and with the team. He still needs to work on his handle.

I'd lock him in a room and have him watch tapes of Rodman and Lamar Odom all summer.

All that said, I'd also be ecstatic if they let D Mo go and resiged T Jones. Still perplexed as to why it was so important to let him go after signing Cousins.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-12-2017 at 10:41 PM.

You have to up his minuets. If you use him like you did this year that would be a huge disappointment. You can't say we are gearing up for the playoffs next year, and that playing him would hurt your chances of making the playoffs. You have Boogie and AD on this team, playing Diallo 10-15 min a game wouldn't kill your vibe, especially when you are rolling out the corpse of Ajinca and DMo so that they can draw fouls. Play Diallo, give him a reason to stay here.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Yeah he definitely has potential. I briefly thought about all 3 on the floor bit it would have to be Diablo at 3 he is the fastest but I'm not sure that is fast enough in this leafie.
    I thought about all three playing together. I wish he could play the three. The athleticism would be awesome.

Diallo does need minutes. Whether it's with the Pels or in the D League is the issue. Let's see how the summer and pre season goes before trying to figure out where.

Next year, whoever is coaching this team needs to make a point of having Diallo be the 1st big off the bench.
    I'd still try and sign someone to be the 3rd big and would see Diallo as the 4th. With any luck he makes the guy you bring in expendable by the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I'd still try and sign someone to be the 3rd big and would see Diallo as the 4th. With any luck he makes the guy you bring in expendable by the trade deadline.
    We have so much money tied up in bigs (57% to be exact) next year. We don't need to put more money into the bigs, we need to focus our resources on shooters. Without shooters are bigs are even more worthless than they are now as everyone and their mother can clog the paint, knowing that the ball will always be going to AD or Boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Between Cunningham, Ajinca, and Diallo no chance I spend another dime on a big man. Maybe if DMo takes a minimum deal then sure. Otherwise, nah.

Thread Information