Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: POLL: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Pay him the MAX!

17 25.76%
  • No! Spend the money elsewhere!

38 57.58%
  • Don't know/Don't Care!

11 16.67%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I recognize how hard it is to build a championship caliber team in a small market. I also recognize how hard it is to get talent on a small market team. This is the reason every other team also overpays for their talent. Because there's only so much to go around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Most small market teams do not have legitimate top 10 players on their roster. BOTH in their primes I might add, so this argument is moot in this particular situation.

Really. With those two, this team is extremely close. It take that damn much to contend for a title for crying out loud. This league is watered down as it is. Just having a training camp together will make a big difference.

Don't need that much more talent, but they need something in the back court other than what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Most small market teams do not have legitimate top 10 players on their roster. BOTH in their primes I might add, so this argument is moot in this particular situation.

Really. With those two, this team is extremely close. It take that damn much to contend for a title for crying out loud. This league is watered down as it is. Just having a training camp together will make a big difference.

Don't need that much more talent, but they need something in the back court other than what they have.
    And how are we going to get that in the back court?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Exactly my point! Jrue might not make us contenders but we will consistently be a playoff team with AD, Cousins, and Jrue.
    We should consistently be a playoff team with AD, cousins, and average NBA PG surrounded by the role players we already have. No need to lock yourself into mediocrity and overpaid Jrue if the goal is to make playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    We should consistently be a playoff team with AD, cousins, and average NBA PG surrounded by the role players we already have. No need to lock yourself into mediocrity and overpaid Jrue if the goal is to make playoffs.
    Correct. If Jrue was the answer we would be talking about who we are playing in the playoffs right now.

Jrue may want to be back on the east coast. Be closer to his wife if she is still getting treatments? That may factor in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    This is the same argument you have been posting. The question is can we contend for championships with Jrue as our PG? I honestly do not think we can. I don't resign him unless we can get a better PG to pair with him first. Bledsoe, Rubio, and Knight are realistic possibilities. This team cannot be a consistent winner with Jrue as our PG. He has proven this over 4 years. I don't want to hear the "we win 50% of our games with Jrue" argument. That is weak. 50% doesn't make this team a contender.
    Bledsoe might actually be one of the few possibilities we might really have a somewhat decent chance of acquiring if we try real hard... and still could be an upgrade on Jrue. I'd love to get him, just don't know if we could find some common ground with the Suns. I'm not really enarmored with Rubio. I just don't see the fit, his lack of shooting could be a problem for us, I think. Knight? Well, no, thanks. That seems to be a case for me of "the grass is always greener on the other side"...

All in all there seem to be not that much possibilities. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Werdiknight View Post
    Bledsoe might actually be one of the few possibilities we might really have a somewhat decent chance of acquiring if we try real hard... and still could be an upgrade on Jrue. I'd love to get him, just don't know if we could find some common ground with the Suns. I'm not really enarmored with Rubio. I just don't see the fit, his lack of shooting could be a problem for us, I think. Knight? Well, no, thanks. That seems to be a case for me of "the grass is always greener on the other side"...

All in all there seem to be not that much possibilities. Unfortunately.
    The thing with Knight is that he's locked into a contract that is so much less than what Jrue is going to get, and before being traded to Phoenix he was as good as Jrue. If he plays like he did for Bucks, at 60% of the cost of Jrue, that would be a good move for Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Jrue may want to be back on the east coast. Be closer to his wife if she is still getting treatments? That may factor in too.
    Hopefully he does us a solid and forces our hand to look elsewhere. Spend the money on re-signing Cousins and give Collison a 3 year deal with the third non guaranteed.
    Then in 2018 when Wall is a free agent sign him.

AD, Wall and Cousins......Championship/s

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Hopefully he does us a solid and forces our hand to look elsewhere. Spend the money on re-signing Cousins and give Collison a 3 year deal with the third non guaranteed.
    Then in 2018 when Wall is a free agent sign him.

AD, Wall and Cousins......Championship/s

im with you......i wish jrue come out and tell demps that he is looking to sign with another team......

AD, cousins and Wall would be a contender because Wall is that impact guard or wing that recent past title teams had...........

However if they do keep Jrue and cant pry a Lin or Bledsloe using the 2018 pick I think Will Barton would be nice with Jrue in the backcourt. He has good assist numbers and can create for others, so he could share the ball handling duties.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    The thing with Knight is that he's locked into a contract that is so much less than what Jrue is going to get, and before being traded to Phoenix he was as good as Jrue. If he plays like he did for Bucks, at 60% of the cost of Jrue, that would be a good move for Pels.
    This exactly.

Give some of the money we would give to Jrue to Tim hardaway jr

Then we need a pg

Edit NVM he is a fa next year

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by All Metro; 04-09-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    SIGN A SF

I can't believe that so many of yall are still hoping we let Jrue walk. Like it's mind-boggling that you would advocate that, when the alternative is much, much worse. I'm gonna repeat what's been said by others, because it appears many here still haven't grasped this idea. If we let Jrue walk, that will not give us the cap space to sign anyone better or as good as Jrue this off-season or in future off-seasons, because unless Cousins walks next off-season, we will be operating over the cap for the next several years.

Read that last sentence again and make sure you've comprehended it. That's the situation we're in.

Will Jrue be worth his contract? Probably not.

Does it suck we have to overpay for him? Absolutely.

Is it our best option this off-season? Without question.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I can't believe that so many of yall are still hoping we let Jrue walk. Like it's mind-boggling that you would advocate that, when the alternative is much, much worse. I'm gonna repeat what's been said by others, because it appears many here still haven't grasped this idea. If we let Jrue walk, that will not give us the cap space to sign anyone better or as good as Jrue this off-season or in future off-seasons, because unless Cousins walks next off-season, we will be operating over the cap for the next several years.

Read that last sentence again and make sure you've comprehended it. That's the situation we're in.

You did factor in the salary cap is going up for teams? No we don't need Jrue that bad. Much rather more talent then overspending on one player. Haven't we learned anything from the Asik deal?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap

You realize that we will be in the same position with Cousins next season except with less flexibility after giving the worst immovable contract in franchise history to Jrue Holiday. Even if Demps were fired next season if everything falls apart , our next GM would have absolutely no room to work with. Let another scrub team give Jrue his 25 million dollar contract. He is worth only half that. I'd take Brandon Knight all day at 12 million for 3 years instead of Jrue at 25+ million for 4-5 years.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-10-2017 at 12:10 AM.

If the front office can pull off a trade using our 2018 pick on a player like Bledsoe, Lin, Batum,
    Fournier or Bazemore to play alongside Jrue then I am okay to keep him for no more than 23,775,505M

Anymore than what Davis is getting paid.....see ya later.

We can always use this summer to get Cousins to sign his extension.
    If he agrees then who gives a ******** what Holiday does?

The only reason people are worried about Holiday leaving is because they are scared DC and then AD will follow.

Once DC signs that extension, we get some guards who can put up about the same numbers as Holiday does/will for less money and length of contract.
    Some of AD's best numbers were when bloody Ish Smith was on the team.

Then we sign either John Wall or Eric Bledsoe in 2019 when they become free agents with all the cap space we will have once Asik, Ajinca and everyone not named AD and DC come off the books.

BOOM championship!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    You did factor in the salary cap is going up for teams? No we don't need Jrue that bad. Much rather more talent then overspending on one player. Haven't we learned anything from the Asik deal?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap
    Yes I'm very aware of how much the cap is going to rise, are you? You can prefer more talent all you want, that doesn't make it financially possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    You realize that we will be in the same position with Cousins next season except with less flexibility after giving the worst immovable contract in franchise history to Jrue Holiday. Even if Demps were fired next season if everything falls apart , our next GM would have absolutely no room to work with. Let another scrub team give Jrue his 25 million dollar contract. He is worth only half that. I'd take Brandon Knight all day at 12 million for 3 years instead of Jrue at 25+ million for 4-5 years.
    Now you're just grossly exaggerating how bad of a contract Jrue will have. Even at $25 million, he won't be close to the worst contract in the league. Must we only use hyperbole or is this board still capable of hearing logic and reason?

worst immovable contract in franchise history. honestly. and you think Brandon knight is the answer to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If the front office can pull off a trade using our 2018 pick on a player like Bledsoe, Lin, Batum,
    Fournier or Bazemore to play alongside Jrue then I am okay to keep him for no more than 23,775,505M

Anymore than what Davis is getting paid.....see ya later.

We can always use this summer to get Cousins to sign his extension.
    If he agrees then who gives a ******** what Holiday does?

The only reason people are worried about Holiday leaving is because they are scared DC and then AD will follow.

Once DC signs that extension, we get some guards who can put up about the same numbers as Holiday does/will for less money and length of contract.
    Some of AD's best numbers were when bloody Ish Smith was on the team.

Then we sign either John Wall or Eric Bledsoe in 2019 when they become free agents with all the cap space we will have once Asik, Ajinca and everyone not named AD and DC come off the books.

BOOM championship!!!
    And what incentive would Cousins have to resign this off-season, considering it would cost him millions of dollars?

And what incentive would Cousins have to resign this off-season, considering it would cost him millions of dollars?
    According to whom?

If you ask MM it will, but if you ask David Fisher he says no.
    I'd rather not give him the extension.
    Id rather see more than 17 games to see if he is worth being next to AD.

I still think AD needs an explosive guard to win a ship.

he already lost his money, because he was traded by Sacto

he may agree an extension in Westrbrook-like, to get additional money now. Then after - let's say - two years go after super max.

The problem with this is that you will need space. and he will eat all of it...

MM mentioned that his representatives would like to renegotiate and extend only if he will get All-Nba honors this year (which he won't get). to earn more money now.

still doubt that Dell will do it/DMC will go for it now

I like Boogie, and would love this AD-DMC combo which will kill this frickin small ball.

I will say this - I will still listen for any Boogie offers this summer. At least to consider it.

Now you're just grossly exaggerating how bad of a contract Jrue will have. Even at $25 million, he won't be close to the worst contract in the league. Must we only use hyperbole or is this board still capable of hearing logic and reason?
    I don't know if it's hyperbole as much as worst case scenario. Giving Holiday a deal north of 25 mil could easily turn into the worse contract in team history based mostly on the amount. If Jrue career becomes even slightly less consistent and more injury prone it easy can become the "franchises" worse contract.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    First and foremost, they can't max Holiday. I think a kin folks deal has probably been discussed involving Justin signing in July. Jrue has had a ruff stretch recently, but before the all star break he was playing at a high level, so we know he's capable.
    I agree with this. The entire organization (front office, coaches, players) all seem very committed to bringing back Jrue. Justin Holiday would fill a need, and Jrue seems like a really family focused guy. I do see this happening.

The Pelicans need to build out the roster with mid level complimentary players to surround the top tier talents. When the Heat were winning championships, they had Mike Miller sharpshooting three pointers in the finals. We don't have that type of guy on the roster. Jrue is our 3rd best player, getting rid of him isn't going to improve the team. We need a better group of role players more than we need to be trying to replace Jrue.

Thread Information