Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: POLL: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Pay him the MAX!

17 25.76%
  • No! Spend the money elsewhere!

38 57.58%
  • Don't know/Don't Care!

11 16.67%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

How about having an offense that doesn't have Cousins trying to play PG each time he gets a rebound?

Banned
    Underscore
    Maybe DC knows Jrue is uncapable of running the Point?

They've just got to find a player that's better. A player you might put on a poster with AD and Cousins.

Bledsoe, Teague, or a wing like Wilson Chandler might satisfy that. The fact that I'd consider Chandler and Teague as an upgrade in talent over Jrue says a lot. Bledsoe would have me expecting a 2 seed however.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    The cap is going to be $100 million, which is lower than expected. The "let Jrue walk" argument is getting weaker by the day. Yes he's going to be overpaid, but it's going to happen and it's what we should do. It's clearly the best of a few bad options.
    Disagree the best option is to remain flexible. Find a gem at pg continue to build around Cousins and Davis and save the cap space so when "that" player becomes available we can sign them.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Disagree the best option is to remain flexible. Find a gem at pg continue to build around Cousins and Davis and save the cap space so when "that" player becomes available we can sign them.
    No argument in anyway for resigning Jrue, but you realize how much cap space is left even without resigning him and that you HAVE TO sign someone to play PG (which has to be at least at Jrue's level - considering Cousin's 2018 free-agency) and how little (if any) cap space is left after that and filling out the roster? You sound to me that the alternative to resigning Jrue is signing CP3 or some other topnotch PG this offseason or maybe next. I am really, really unsure about Jrue myself but we have to stay realistic and compare the option of resiging him to REALISTIC alternative options. So what are those?

So if the cap really is going to be set at 100m then if we let Jrue walk that frees up what? 13ish million in space?

Here would be my suggestion for how to handle the summer. Talk to every big name free agent (meaning the guys that are WORTH a max and do not play the same position as AD and Cousins). Ask them if they are willing to come play here if we can get them their money.

If so then do what needs to be done and make it happen. If we can find no sure fire max level type player (I honestly don't think we will) then I resign Jrue for 100k more than whatever his highest offer by another team is and I go forward from there. Or I try talking to him and seeing if he would give us a home discount if we also get Justin.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So if the cap really is going to be set at 100m then if we let Jrue walk that frees up what? 13ish million in space?

Here would be my suggestion for how to handle the summer. Talk to every big name free agent (meaning the guys that are WORTH a max and do not play the same position as AD and Cousins). Ask them if they are willing to come play here if we can get them their money.

If so then do what needs to be done and make it happen. If we can find no sure fire max level type player (I honestly don't think we will) then I resign Jrue for 100k more than whatever his highest offer by another team is and I go forward from there. Or I try talking to him and seeing if he would give us a home discount if we also get Justin.

This is the same argument you have been posting. The question is can we contend for championships with Jrue as our PG? I honestly do not think we can. I don't resign him unless we can get a better PG to pair with him first. Bledsoe, Rubio, and Knight are realistic possibilities. This team cannot be a consistent winner with Jrue as our PG. He has proven this over 4 years. I don't want to hear the "we win 50% of our games with Jrue" argument. That is weak. 50% doesn't make this team a contender.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-09-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Werdiknight View Post
    No argument in anyway for resigning Jrue, but you realize how much cap space is left even without resigning him and that you HAVE TO sign someone to play PG (which has to be at least at Jrue's level - considering Cousin's 2018 free-agency) and how little (if any) cap space is left after that and filling out the roster? You sound to me that the alternative to resigning Jrue is signing CP3 or some other topnotch PG this offseason or maybe next. I am really, really unsure about Jrue myself but we have to stay realistic and compare the option of resiging him to REALISTIC alternative options. So what are those?

my thing is, having jrue as your 3rd star is not going to make us a contender or put us in position to improve our roster in a couple of years........jrue is not a impact player for this team to have no flexibility to improve in the future........ imo with the lil cap room we will have,,i have faith in demps to find a player that will produce for the cost and a couple of those type of players can get us to the playoffs but im also banking on that a ring chaser will see the he can be the ex factor and come here at a discount in a couple of years.......

i just dont want the team to be tied down to a player who is not a impact guard or wing as its 3rd star with little or no flexibility in the future.....imo we make the playoffs with or without jrue with whoever we sign in his place but i dont think we will be knocking the top 2 teams out either way.....imo we will have a better chance to fill a good roster without jrue in a couple of years in free agency but i dont know who those players are but they will be out there and its the GM job to find them........

Banned
    Alvin Gentry has 2 more games before the Powers That Be Send Him Walking !!
    That is what anyone with a basketbal mindset would do.
    AD and DC will both be gone if we don't make Serious Moves Now

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    This is the same argument you have been posting. The question is can we contend for championships with Jrue as our PG? I honestly do not think we can. I don't resign him unless we can get a better PG to pair with him first. Bledsoe, Rubio, and Knight are realistic possibilities. This team cannot be a consistent winner with Jrue as our PG. He has proven this over 4 years. I don't want to hear the "we win 50% of our games with Jrue" argument. That is weak. 50% doesn't make this team a contender.
    I don't think there is any way we are competing for a title no matter what. If the argument is don't resign Jrue so we can sign a player that will make us compete then I don't think believe that ever happens. Our best bet, Imo, is as I laid it out.

I don't think there is any way we are competing for a title no matter what. If the argument is don't resign Jrue so we can sign a player that will make us compete then I don't think believe that ever happens. Our best bet, Imo, is as I laid it out.
    Davis and Cousins are championship caliber players. You say we will never compete for a championship because all you have seen is a collection of role players and under achievers like Holiday led by a man who has proven to be a poor head coach. Yet, you still support that we continue on this path. You can bet your life savings that we will never compete for a championship with Jrue as our PG and Alvin Gentry as our head coach. If Demps can't recognize this, he needs to go too.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-09-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Davis and Cousins are championship caliber players. You say we will never compete for a championship because all you have seen is a collection of role players and under achievers like Holiday led by a man who has proven to be a poor head coach. Yet, you still support that we continue on this path. You can bet your life savings that we will never compete for a championship with Jrue as our PG and Alvin Gentry as our head coach. If Demps can't recognize this, he needs to go too.
    I recognize how hard it is to build a championship caliber team in a small market. I also recognize how hard it is to get talent on a small market team. This is the reason every other team also overpays for their talent. Because there's only so much to go around.

I recognize how hard it is to build a championship caliber team in a small market. I also recognize how hard it is to get talent on a small market team. This is the reason every other team also overpays for their talent. Because there's only so much to go around.

But OKC and Memphis continue to make the playoffs.

Talent that cannot win is worse than having no talent. At least with no talent, a wisely used top 5 draft pick and flexibility for roster improvement will help your team. This team has two superb talents in Davis and Cousins. We now need to surround them with high IQ winners. Holiday will be a grossly overpaid ship sinking anchor to our future prospects of becoming a contender. This is the same thing we have seen with Eric Gordon and Asik. You don't overpay a talented but limited player who has proven to be a career underachiever just because you can.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 04-09-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Talent that cannot win is worse than having no talent. At least with no talent, a wisely used top 5 draft pick will help your team. This team has two superb talents in Davis and Cousins. We now need to surround them with high IQ winners. Holiday will be a grossly overpaid ship sinking anchor to our future prospects of becoming a contender.
    Let's review a couple facts

1) With AD and Cousins, the Pelicans are not going to be at the bottom of the NBA, there's basically no chance of a top 5 pick

2) Jrue is the 3rd best player on the team

Talent that cannot win is worse than having no talent. At least with no talent, a wisely used top 5 draft pick and flexibility for roster improvement will help your team. This team has two superb talents in Davis and Cousins. We now need to surround them with high IQ winners. Holiday will be a grossly overpaid ship sinking anchor to our future prospects of becoming a contender. This is the same thing we have seen with Eric Gordon and Asik.
    I agree . Let Jrue walk if the Knicks offer him the max. Spend the money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    But OKC and Memphis continue to make the playoffs.
    How many titles have they won?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post

1) With AD and Cousins, the Pelicans are not going to be at the bottom of the NBA, there's basically no chance of a top 5 pick

More facts:

1)This team is still a losing team.

2) Jrue Holiday is a turnover prone average at best PG who regularly hurts his team in crunch time as a PG.

So you are saying we have to be a big market team to win a title? I do believe OKC has been to the Finals before at least.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post

ill add this as my fact,,,,you are right about both but this team will never be a contending team with jrue signed at max dollars....

Basketball Guru

ill take consistently making the playoffs with a chance to win a title over being mad that we are in the lottery every year.........my thing is,,once you are in the dance then you have a chance....anything can happen in the playoffs..

First and foremost, they can't max Holiday. I think a kin folks deal has probably been discussed involving Justin signing in July. Jrue has had a ruff stretch recently, but before the all star break he was playing at a high level, so we know he's capable. Perhaps Jrue is at best a forth option on this team ? Look at the Warriors...Draymond is there fourth option. He'll make 17 mil next season, if we get Jrue starting around 19 mil and get Justin in at around 7 mil I think it would be a win for both sides. I would then go after E.Bledsoe or Rubio in a trade. If they can do this while staying over cap, they can use there MLE and other exception to get some shooters and defenders off the bench.
    Last edited by SaintPelican225; 04-09-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    So you are saying we have to be a big market team to win a title? I do believe OKC has been to the Finals before at least.
    This is you again not having the reading comprehension needed to actually be taken seriously. I never said it was impossible for a small market team. Just extremely hard. And you don't get there just letting talent leave.

OKC gave Kanter a max deal that everyone said was stupid. Memphis gave Parsons and Conley Max Deals.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    ill take consistently making the playoffs with a chance to win a title over being mad that we are in the lottery every year.........my thing is,,once you are in the dance then you have a chance....anything can happen in the playoffs..
    Exactly my point! Jrue might not make us contenders but we will consistently be a playoff team with AD, Cousins, and Jrue.

I feel the same way I did for a while.

If we keep Jrue, I just want a reasonable contract that allows us to move Jrue fairly easily if the opportunity at an upgrade arises.

At this point I can't imagine anyone tries to max Jrue. And with AD and Cousins for a whole season that can realistically take us to the playoffs, Jrue's value should remain solid just by association with being on a playoff team.

My main fear is I just don't want Demps to outbid himself like he did with Asik. Hopefully the cap coming down may end up being a blessing in disguise as it gives teams less to work with and probably makes more GM's hesitant to overpay for Jrue caliber players.

Thread Information