Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: POLL: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Pay him the MAX!

17 25.76%
  • No! Spend the money elsewhere!

38 57.58%
  • Don't know/Don't Care!

11 16.67%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

One thing is for sure.... we will find out in July. Three months from now.

Banned
    Guys Jrue doesn't possess the Skill Set to be a top player in this league.
    You have seen it all season long. When he is matched up against the top players he get his ****** handed to him.
    We need a young Point Guard not a combo bench guy like Jrue.
    He showed again last night why he is average

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Just like we had to give Asik his contract because we had Davis and he didn't want to play center! SMH at making the same mistakes.

Giving Holiday the max is more likely to be the reason Cousins leave then it is to make him stay.
    They didn't "have" to give Asik that contract. They wanted to. I know it's a hard thing to fathom in this moment today, but a few years ago, Asik gave you 12 and 12 per night with a strong presence in the middle and sometimes more.

Things change. With time players can get better, stagnate, or get worse. Asik is the latter but at that time, the contract was justifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Guys Jrue doesn't possess the Skill Set to be a top player in this league.
    You have seen it all season long. When he is matched up against the top players he get his ****** handed to him.
    We need a young Point Guard not a combo bench guy like Jrue.
    He showed again last night why he is average
    This is the most disappointing aspect of his game. Wall, Westbrook, and Curry come here and not only ball out, but get demonstrative and flex about it.

Holiday not only doesn't respond but goes into a shell. Doesn't challenge them and will gladly switch off and hand them to AD, who was most likely playing the 5 at those times.

This is the main reason they've got to seriously consider their offer on the conservative side.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They didn't "have" to give Asik that contract. They wanted to. I know it's a hard thing to fathom in this moment today, but a few years ago, Asik gave you 12 and 12 per night with a strong presence in the middle and sometimes more.

Things change. With time players can get better, stagnate, or get worse. Asik is the latter but at that time, the contract was justifiable.
    NO. no. no. NO!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asik has never ever ever been a 12/12 guy. He came close (10/11) his first year in Houston running system that created more opportunities for both rebounds and points, but that's it. Other than that he's not close. The Asik contract was never, ever, ever justifiable. Period. He didn't fit the GSW system Gentry was installing, his body had already started to breakdown, and there were cheaper ways to go about getting 6 fouls and 6 rebounds from the center position.

Matching the Gordon offer from Phoenix was wrong, but understandable. Asik was idiotic and the worst move Demps has made as GM. Worse than trading two 1st for Holidays. Worse than not trading Ryan Anderson at the deadline. Worse than all the moves made to bring in Tyreke.

ASIK IS INDEFENSIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

Asik has never ever ever been a 12/12 guy. He came close (10/11) his first year in Houston running system that created more opportunities for both rebounds and points, but that's it. Other than that he's not close. The Asik contract was never, ever, ever justifiable. Period. He didn't fit the GSW system Gentry was installing, his body had already started to breakdown, and there were cheaper ways to go about getting 6 fouls and 6 rebounds from the center position.

Matching the Gordon offer from Phoenix was wrong, but understandable. Asik was idiotic and the worst move Demps has made as GM. Worse than trading two 1st for Holidays. Worse than not trading Ryan Anderson at the deadline. Worse than all the moves made to bring in Tyreke.

ASIK IS INDEFENSIBLE!
    Glad you said it. It was a terrible deal made because of the investment made to get Asik here. You can make a case to justify trading for Asik the following contract was as you said "indefensible".

ASIK IS INDEFENSIBLE!
    Agree

ASIK IS INDEFENSIBLE!
    This is called revisionist history at its finest. Find me where you said it was an "indefensible" contract at the time it was signed, instead of 2 years later? The whole idea, at that time, was to keep continuity on a team thought to be on the rise. And 90% of this board was on board with that. Plus the fact that his best year came on a very Gentry like high paced Rocket team. Then similar results his first year here. Hel his first game here was 14 and 17. So he has indeed ever ever ever been a 12/12 guy. He had back and calf issues cropping up, but when healthy, that is what you got back then.

Show me these "indefensible" cries from back then. If not then take those 40 no's someplace else. Stop with the hindsight nonsense or just admit this is what you're doing.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-05-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Basketball Guru
    This is called revisionist history at its finest. Find me where you said it was an "indefensible" contract at the time it was signed, instead of 2 years later? The whole idea, at that time, was to keep continuity on a team thought to be on the rise. And 90% of this board was on board with that. Plus the fact that his best year came on a very Gentry like high paced Rocket team. Then similar results his first year here. Hel his first game here was 14 and 17. So he has indeed ever ever ever been a 12/12 guy. He had back and calf issues cropping up, but when healthy, that is what you got back then.

Show me these "indefensible" cries from back then. If not then take those 40 no's someplace else. Stop with the hindsight nonsense or just admit this is what you're doing.

i agree with what you are saying about the posters who are killing asik now but i am on record saying that i dont understand how we are going to make the playoffs again that year by giving gentry, monty team....management sold that crap to the fans real good base on coming off that playoff year.....

our first priority should be to add healthy players
    we can't take a chance to sing injured players to play with 2 top10 players
    George Hill played 47 games this season - don't sign him
    we have Jrue Holiday now 4 seasons in NO
    he played 63% of the games
    he's getting payed to play 100% of all games
    his stats aren't awesome
    he’s a good role player, but a player who played only 63% of all games in the last 4 seasons
    hes only 26y and should be normally in his prime, but Derrick Rose a former MVP compared to Holiday a former Allstar player, is 28y and should be in his prime too
    ik other options aren't the best
    best case is still bringing back CP3
    also Asik for Knight works
    if Holiday is resigned, nearly 40% of the time Frazier is our starting PG
    its not even clear, if he misses the PO or not
    thats a huge gamble

Anything north of 18 mil per is an overpay IMO. I think we should go after Eric Bledsoe. He checks so many boxes as a point guard. If Jrue walks I would go after Bledsoe and pair him with Ian Clark/MLE.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Anything north of 18 mil per is an overpay IMO. I think we should go after Eric Bledsoe. He checks so many boxes as a point guard. If Jrue walks I would go after Bledsoe and pair him with Ian Clark/MLE.
    If he doesn't sign with the Pels, then they would be under the cap after clearing Holiday's ~16mil cap hold.Then would they still be able to use the MLE? I read that only over the cap teams can get the MLE. Or maybe we could go back over the cap with the trade for Bledsoe and then qualify for the MLE at a certain date. Wonder how that works

OT, On the leaked Magic offseason board, it was good to see a few Pels players are actually considered by other teams, lol.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/orlando-m...ans-picture/2/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	6275

Name:	bK4IITPl.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	6274

Pretty much he's a great 4th best player, part time 3rd best.

So if Pels could secure that position, they could just focus on 3rd best player playing the role of consistent/aggressive scorer who can make the right decisions down the stretch. And he can even be decent/not great defensively since Holiday/Hill specialize in perimeter D but lack in go-to scoring/turnovers.

J.Lin keeps coming to mind as a player who could fill that role and round out the roster well.

Lin
    for
    Ajinca + Pondexter + 2018 1st

works in trade checker, and makes sense for both sides. They might want to include Frazier, but would be nice to keep him.

Then sign a 3-point/scoring SF with the MLE. CJ Miles would be ideal, but he could get a contract higher than the MLE. Would we be able to keep Cunningham then? Hmm...

Cousins/ anyone
    Davis / Cunningham/ Diallo
    Hill / CJ Miles
    Holiday/ Moore/ Crawford
    Lin / Frazier
    Last edited by Rheem654; 04-05-2017 at 08:00 PM.

If 90% of this board was on board with it, I was in the 10% that ABSODAMNLUTELY was not on board with signing Asik. LOL, Don't assume I was dumb as 90% of ya'll. Do I look like Michael McNamara to you? He's the one who was preaching continuity and percentage of cap being the more relevant metric for evaluating Asik's contract. I was the one saying smart things like Asik isn't good at basketball.

And if what you meant is that he had games where he got 12 rebounds and 12 points, I'll give you that. But if you say a guy is a double-double guy, that generally means he averaged a double double. If you're calling a guy a 12/12 guy because he had a few games where he put up those stats, but never quite averaged 12/12, that's silly.

Player A has a 5.4ppg, 7.3rpg career average.
    Player B has a 7.8ppg, 5.0rpg career average.

Player A is Omer Asik.
    Player B is frequently the butt of jokes on "Shaqtin A Fool".
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 04-05-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This can't simply be a yes or no situation. Salary has to be factored into the result. Again anything south of a contract that averages 20mil per yes you keep Jrue anything North of 23 you move on. Anything in between you have to flip a coin.
    I agree with this 100% no one in their right kind should offer jrue a max contract because he is not a top 10 point guard. He is in the convo for top 15 though
    I'm a grinder

I was firmly against resigning Asik, I thought it was a terrible contact the day it was announced. And I am in favor of bringing back Jrue

i want jrue back...i wont let those mistakes define him..he is 1 of our stars and a major contributor.

Didn't want Asik don't want Jrue at what he will command

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Is there some reason why Jrue wouldn't come out and publicly say that he wants to stay in New Orleans and hopes they can make the numbers work? What would be the downside?

...I mean, that is, if he wants to stay in New Orleans.

Holiday is going to be a Pelican next year. Your just going to have to get over it. Now the question is where does he fit and how much will he cost. Personally, I wouldn't sign him to the max no matter how much of a cap hold he has. It's still pretty stupid to do it. However, I would sign him at 20 mil a year (which is the going rate for guards his skill set). He's a solid player and would be a very guard 2 guard that can shot a solid 3 ball, defend your best guard, and be a secondary ball handler. I would still save more money to get a starting caliber PG whether it's via trade for a decent steal. All he has to do is play good defense, don't make silly mistakes, control the offense, and have a solid jump shot. He doesn't have be a big name player but just average maybe 10 ppg, 6-8 assist, and 38% for 3pt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    OT, On the leaked Magic offseason board, it was good to see a few Pels players are actually considered by other teams, lol.

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/orlando-m...ans-picture/2/

Name:	capture.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	6275

Name:	bK4IITPl.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	6274
    there are 59 names

two from them are Pelicans

there are 30 teams in the NBA. if only every team in the NBA will have 2 players with Magic interest...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    there are 59 names

two from them are Pelicans

there are 30 teams in the NBA. if only every team in the NBA will have 2 players with Magic interest...
    Good one. Yea with the way some people on this and other NBA boards talk about what a tragedy Hill's contract is for his production, I thought it was interesting to see him on a list of potential trade targets for another team. Even if it is with so many other players. Was partly said sarcastically. Should have clarified further, I suppose.

Cousins / Diallo
    Davis / Dante
    Hill / Justin H.
    Jrue / Moore / Crawford
    ____ / Frazier

Then find good PG via trade with Ajinca, Pondexter, 2018 1st, trade exeption, and possibly one or more of Frazier/Crawford/Moore

Lin, Bledsoe, Rubio would be ideal, might have to settle for a less talented player, though
    Last edited by Rheem654; 04-07-2017 at 01:18 PM.

If 90% of this board was on board with it, I was in the 10% that ABSODAMNLUTELY was not on board with signing Asik. LOL, Don't assume I was dumb as 90% of ya'll. Do I look like Michael McNamara to you? He's the one who was preaching continuity and percentage of cap being the more relevant metric for evaluating Asik's contract. I was the one saying smart things like Asik isn't good at basketball.

And if what you meant is that he had games where he got 12 rebounds and 12 points, I'll give you that. But if you say a guy is a double-double guy, that generally means he averaged a double double. If you're calling a guy a 12/12 guy because he had a few games where he put up those stats, but never quite averaged 12/12, that's silly.

Player A has a 5.4ppg, 7.3rpg career average.
    Player B has a 7.8ppg, 5.0rpg career average.

Player A is Omer Asik.
    Player B is frequently the butt of jokes on "Shaqtin A Fool".
    Well I'll just have to take your word for it, because at THAT time, a healthy Asik gave you what you wanted next to AD. That includes 12/12 games regularly. The whole point is its wrong to act as if Dell was a pure idiot for doing it back then. It's was no where near as obvious a bad move as it is now. That's life.

And I was defintlitely one of the few that was never on board with calling Asik an "elite" defender. Unlike some well know bloggers around here. I was always aware of the gaping holes in his game. And yet, I was not against that last contract. Especially compared to what Mozgov got in L.A. Nobody can sit there and say they saw this nose dive coming to the point where he doesn't even get minutes.

Thread Information