Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: POLL: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Pay him the MAX!

17 25.76%
  • No! Spend the money elsewhere!

38 57.58%
  • Don't know/Don't Care!

11 16.67%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Really starting to like the idea of Bledsoe replacing Holiday. Quite possible Bledsoe will be available for trade if Suns draft Fultz or Ball. He's assertive and confident on offense, and is good defensively, too. And his contract could be about half of Holiday's new one.

Then focus on signing CJ Miles or another good 3-spacer as the new starting SF (with the MLE or via trade), and promoting Moore to starting SG. Then also re-sign Cunningham if possible, another guard/wing, and a Center with the RLE and minimum contracts.

Cousins / ______
    Davis / Cunningham/ Diallo
    CJ Miles/ Hill
    Moore / Crawford
    Bledsoe/ _____ / Cook-Frazier?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Really starting to like the idea of Bledsoe replacing Holiday. Quite possible Bledsoe will be available for trade if Suns draft Fultz or Ball. He's assertive and confident on offense, and is good defensively, too. And his contract could be about half of Holiday's new one.

Then focus on signing CJ Miles or another good 3-spacer as the new starting SF (with the MLE or via trade), and promoting Moore to starting SG. Then also re-sign Cunningham if possible, another guard/wing, and a Center with the RLE and minimum contracts.

Cousins / ______
    Davis / Cunningham/ Diallo
    CJ Miles/ Hill
    Moore / Crawford
    Bledsoe/ _____ / Cook-Frazier?
    I agree with this idea. See post #171 on page 7 of this thread.

Dell and Alvin wanted Lin last summer.
    But were prepeared to pay x amount of money to make other moves possible.

You may say that DD failed in the past, but couple times in past he left himself kinda of flexibility.
    He prepeared himself even to go into the tax in 2015/16 (see Jason Calmes work on BSS).

Last year he decided not to sign Lin to sign Hill, Moore and Gallo.
    If he would have signed Lin who was injured half year, we would have been screwed. With only Frazier and Buddy

Probably we would be going to the draft etc

IMO he has exact number in mind to pay Jrue.
    They all are doing lip service to him how they need him etc

Dell said "they will have hard and tough decisions" this summer.

I am certain that he will not max Jrue out.

I just heard a Woj podcast with Brett Brown. He wants Simmons to be a main ballhandler and want his team to have defensive identity.
    Don't see a better defensive PG in this FA class.
    So it will all decide on draft - who 76 ers will pick (how many picks they will have)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Off-season Plan:

1A. Trade Moore, Pondexter, and 2018 top 3 protected first for PG Bledsoe or Rubio
    1B. Trade Moore and Pondexter for PG Brandon Knight as a fall back plan.
    2. Let Jrue walk or get a sign and trade if we are lucky.
    3. Stretch Asik
    4. Sign 2nd tier starting FA SG with a good 3-point percentage (8-12 million a year).
    5. Sign Omri Casspi or a similar backup SF with a good 3-point percentage (4-6 million a year).
    6. If Cunningham opts out, either re-sign him or Terrance Jones (4-6 million a year).

Is this not a better alternative to having Holiday the MLE and BAE? If we could do everything else and keep Holiday as our starting SG, I wouldn't complain.

Example Lineup:

PG: Bledsoe/Frazier
    SG: CJ Miles/Crawford (Other options at SG could be keeping Jrue or signing Korver, JJ Redick, Nick Young, or Dion Waiters)
    SF: Hill/Casspi
    PF: Davis/Cunningham/Diallo
    C: Cousins/Ajinca

The rest of the roster could then be filled out with our 2nd round pick and vet min players.
    This roster with the big 3 healthy and a competent coach should be in the playoffs next season.
    Awesome, you even had CJ Miles in there, too. Great minds think alike, or something like that.

A few things I would do differently; I would look to keep Moore if we're losing/replacing Holiday, since Moore is pretty much the role player version of Holiday with his defense and shot-making at SG. Could be a valuable glue guy part of the core going forward.

The Suns possibly would rather the extra cap room with a trade exception from the possible Holiday sign-n-trade, or the smaller contracts of Ajinca, Pondexter and Frazier plus the 1st. Although with how well Ajinca's been playing lately, I do wonder if they won't be so quick to include him in trade throw-ins. He could be that 3rd big in the rotation along with Diallo, also allows Davis and Cousins to play PF with him at Center. But the Suns may require Moore be included in a trade for Bledsoe, so who knows.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post

You may say that DD failed in the past, but couple times in past he left himself kinda of flexibility.
    He prepeared himself even to go into the tax in 2015/16 (see Jason Calmes work on BSS).

If he would have signed Lin who was injured half year, we would have been screwed. With only Frazier and Buddy

I just heard a Woj podcast with Brett Brown. He wants Simmons to be a main ballhandler and want his team to have defensive identity.
    So it will all decide on draft - who 76 ers will pick (how many picks they will have)
    If the 76ers end up with 2 early lotto picks, I'd expect them to at least try and trade those picks for a vet. I think they're done with rookies. Simmons will be a rookie next year. Embiid still hasn't played half a season. They still have Okafor. Saric is still developing. I doubt they add two more young guys. If the lottery balls bounce their way, Jimmy Butler will be on their team next year. It'll take both picks and Okafor, but it'll get done. Then they'll go after Jrue. Even if they don't get Lakers pick this year, they could still find a way to get Butler if Boston doesn't outbid them.

Embiid/Saric/Simmon/Butler/Jrue ...that's a compelling team, especially if Embiid stays healthy.

In this scenario I think Dell might look to snag Bayless in a S/T, and pursue one of the Phoenix guards. My preference continues to be Knight, and hold onto the 2018 1st for one more move if the opportunity is there.

Bayless played something like 5 minutes.
    I would rather not touch him

Draft lottery will determine our possibilities.

If PHX chooses PG they may trade Bledsoe.
    Will Philly take a PG. What Pelinka will do with/without pick. Will Magic go after DMC?
    Who will choose Minny and will it be PG/SG

Will Pels have lottery luck?
    So many variables. One month left till lottery

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post

good post

Anyone think that Dion Waiters is a decent possibility?
    Not sure what his defence is like or if he and Jrue could share ball duties.

He has a player option next season for around 3M.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Anyone think that Dion Waiters is a decent possibility?
    Not sure what his defence is like or if he and Jrue could share ball duties.

He has a player option next season for around 3M.
    He'll be looking for significantly more than $3m. I wouldn't want him for anything more than the BAE, and that's not going to be enough to get him.

Little update. I'm hearing more things, seems like the root of Jrue's wanting to leave is due to him being displeased with upper management. In particular Dell

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    Little update. I'm hearing more things, seems like the root of Jrue's wanting to leave is due to him being displeased with upper management. In particular Dell
    Holiday is smart to let the team know he's on the fence about coming back. If for no other reason than to jack up his cost. We can offer him the most so he can add pressure to make sure Demps(or whoever the GM is) has to play the only real card that we have if playing with Cousins and Davis isn't enough.

Can you be more specific?

Unless Jrue wanted to be traded at the deadline so that he could get his max from his preferred team, or wants the max and has been told he won't be getting the max, or wanted the team to go after his brother when he was a FA and Dell didn't think he was worth it... what basketball reason could Jrue have for being displeased with management?

Dell has always publicly been very supportive of Jrue. Is there a personal issue?

Is he mad that Dell canned Monty?

I guess it could be anything. But it seems odd.

Some inside info of MM at twitter.

His source says Pels have a number in mind.
    MM thinks it is around 22 on 1st year.

More than Ryno. Less than AD.
    Which is fair

Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

If this is true the reason I can think of is I've heard rumors of Jrue not rehabbing correctly after his first leg surgery and Dell having a "come to Jesus" meeting with him where he basically told him, rehab right or get traded to a bad team.

Now granted, since that time Jrue did indeed rehab correctly and Dell has made every effort to support him - including full support for indefinite leave when his wife needed her surgery - so you would hope they would have moved past any issue. Still maybe Jrue holds some resentment towards Dell, or maybe he is posturing for a better deal.

It makes sense for him to pretend to be wish washy on the team even if he wants to resign here. I do remember Jrue was trying to throw down a dunk on a break away in one of the games late in the season and he yelled, "Big 3." So who knows.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-25-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I'd be displeased with my management team too if they had me rated as a middling performer and were determined to bring in a secondary asset to supplement what I'm supposed to be good at, even though in my mind I'm very good at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Jrue is damaged goods.
    He has a rod in his leg along with screws.
    His off the dribble first step is like cold syrup out the bottle.
    When he goes head to head with the top guards he get lit up just look at the Miami game.

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I'd be displeased with my management team too if they had me rated as a middling performer and were determined to bring in a secondary asset to supplement what I'm supposed to be good at, even though in my mind I'm very good at it.

Yea this is very true. Jrue Holiday the person probably still believes he's still a primary ball-handler/point guard decision maker. The key is if any other team still thinks that, too. Knicks or in Philly where he's sharing that role with Ben Simmons. Other teams that might want him and make room to sign him:
    Denver,
    San Antonio (if Gasol opts. Holiday and Kawai would be wow defensively),
    Dallas (sign-n-trade for Wes Matthews)
    Minnesota (sign-n-trade for Rubio, yes please),
    Milwaukee (if Monroe opts out),
    Miami,
    Indiana (if they choose him instead of Teague and move some contracts),
    Detroit (sign-n-trade for T. Harris?),
    Chicago (if Wade opts out and Rondo option is declined),
    Charlotte (sign-n-trade for Batum),
    Brooklyn could offer their customary max offer daring other teams to go that high to sign him,
    Atlanta (sign-n-trade for Shroder)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Jrue is damaged goods.
    He has a rod in his leg along with screws.
    His off the dribble first step is like cold syrup out the bottle.
    When he goes head to head with the top guards he get lit up just look at the Miami game.
    It's fun to think about trading/signing/ not-resigning players, but I don't like the phrase 'damaged goods', kinda dehumanizes these players even more. Rather than trashing on this player's game you don't like, focus your efforts into talking about what kind of player you would want to replace him with here instead.
    Last edited by Rheem654; 04-25-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Should we keep Jrue on the team next season?

Middling is probably a little too strong of a word, but I do think Dell has a number in mind for Jrue and a plan to supplement Jrue. Jrue is a tactic this summer, not the strategy. That could be a bit of a buzzkill for Jrue in contrast to the bright lights of Free Agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea this is very true. Jrue Holiday the person probably still believes he's still a primary ball-handler/point guard decision maker. The key is if any other team still thinks that, too. Knicks or in Philly where he's sharing that role with Ben Simmons. Other teams that might want him and make room to sign him:
    Denver,
    San Antonio (if Gasol opts. Holiday and Kawai would be wow defensively),
    Dallas (sign-n-trade for Wes Matthews)
    Minnesota (sign-n-trade for Rubio, yes please),
    Milwaukee (if Monroe opts out),
    Miami,
    Indiana (if they choose him instead of Teague and move some contracts),
    Detroit (sign-n-trade for T. Harris?),
    Chicago (if Wade opts out and Rondo option is declined),
    Charlotte (sign-n-trade for Batum),
    Brooklyn could offer their customary max offer daring other teams to go that high to sign him,
    Atlanta (sign-n-trade for Shroder)

It's fun to think about trading/signing/ not-resigning players, but I don't like the phrase 'damaged goods', kinda dehumanizes these players even more. Rather than trashing on this player's game you don't like, focus your efforts into talking about what kind of player you would want to replace him with here instead.
    Only way the S&T helps Jrue is if he wants to go to a team that can't/won't get far enough under the cap to sign him.

Jrue can't get $170M in a S&T, he'd be limited to a 4yr deal with 5% raises, just as if he signed as a free agent.

If Jrue leaves, he either:

1) signs with a team with cap space and he/the other team throws us a trade exception bone as a parting gift or...
    B) wants to sign with a team without space and they have to give us back some salaries which gives us some leverage.

Credit: ml wave

Mavericks Interested In Jrue Holiday
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/...e-holiday.html

If Rondo's option is declined I would love to have him here. A pg that can create, and defend...yes please.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Banned
    If the Mavs want Steel Rod Jrue take him.
    We can't win with him period.
    His skil set is limited and he is damaged goods

Thread Information