Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Per Kushner, Demps and Gentry staying.

Per Kushner, Demps and Gentry staying.

As most pretty much expected from this organization-

Scott Kushner? @ScottDKushner

Sources: The #Pelicans are retaining GM Dell Demps & coach Alvin Gentry to enter 2017-18 season.
    Not sure why this comes out on the eve of the lottery. Would have been nice to have kept options open.

Unless we make the 2nd round next year, they will be gone by this time next year.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Unless we make the 2nd round next year, they will be gone by this time next year.
    I agree. If they don't make it to the second round, they better be gone.

Banned
    2nd round lol
    Playoffs
    With this current squad and HC 30 wins don't get you to playoffs
    Sorry but unless we get a Real Point Guard and a couple shooters the Pelicans will be home again watching TNT

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    2nd round lol
    Playoffs
    With this current squad and HC 30 wins don't get you to playoffs
    Sorry but unless we get a Real Point Guard and a couple shooters the Pelicans will be home again watching TNT
    True, and that is what we are saying. To you and I both, anything short of the 2nd round and these guys will be gone. A year to late imho, but the point stands, unless they can take a team with two top 10 players to the 2nd round (at the least) then they have no business in this business.

They said the main reason was to have some stability for Cousins. I am not a fan of the move, but understand why they made the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    They said the main reason was to have some stability for Cousins. I am not a fan of the move, but understand why they made the choice.

Agreed and there's no great coaching candidates available this year. If this was a few years ago when Thibs was available or someone like him, maybe we would make a move. Without a clear upgrade available, they're going for continuity and I understand their logic. The team was playing great ball until we got eliminated and sat AD and Boogie for the remainder of the season. If we can play at that level for an entire season, we will easily be a playoff team next year.

I've been saying this for awhile. This is my exact reason for doing it too.

Welp this likely sets the franchise back another 3 or 4 years.

Clearly the Pelicans aren't a priority to Benson and co., but I guess that was clear the minute he named the team Pelicans.

I don't have an issue with this move

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    May not make in to January if you get the Warriors 3 times in November again. Not to mention the Rockets,Spurs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I've been saying this for awhile. This is my exact reason for doing it too.
    Yet, it would be better than can them now than wait until next years. With Cousins up for negotiation after next season, it would not look too stable to make changes then. So, we have to bank on a great season next year or have changes at a time that could jeopardize the re-signing of Cousins.

Banned
    I hope Erman gets his shot this season as HC.
    If Alvin Gentry starts out losing as usual hopefully they dump Alvin insert Erman.
    I seriously can't believe how this Club lets this career loser have another opportunity

If Alvin Gentry starts out losing as usual hopefully they dump Alvin insert Erman.
    I seriously can't believe how this Club lets this career loser have another opportunity
    You may get your wish if Alvin gets off to another slow start. Cue the NBA schedule gods.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Agreed and there's no great coaching candidates available this year. If this was a few years ago when Thibs was available or someone like him, maybe we would make a move. Without a clear upgrade available, they're going for continuity and I understand their logic. The team was playing great ball until we got eliminated and sat AD and Boogie for the remainder of the season. If we can play at that level for an entire season, we will easily be a playoff team next year.
    Thibs?! Really? A guy notorious for playing his guys too many minutes in an era where sports science indicates your players run out of gas if you make it to the playoffs (see: Harden, J. and Thibs' Bulls teams). I'm not sure how people still assume he would have been a great hire when he hasn't been a great hire in Minnesota. He has Chris Dunn looking like a bust, and the guy has 2 way starting PG for the next 12 years written all over him.

This is sort of hoping for failure, is it not? Why?! So that a guy who hasn't been considered an elite head coaching candidate can get his shot. GTFOH! If you secretly record your bosses and colleagues you're lucky you have a job to begin with. Snitches get stitches!

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    He has Chris Dunn looking like a bust, and the guy has 2 way starting PG for the next 12 years written all over him.
    Seems awfully early to make that claim. Anyone from that draft class look like a sure-fire all star at this point? Given them a while.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Complete lack of competence in every way imaginable from this franchise. I'm almost depressed with how clueless or delusional they are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Complete lack of competence in every way imaginable from this franchise. I'm almost depressed with how clueless or delusional they are.
    101 % Correct !!!

“After careful and thorough review of basketball operations, we have made the determination that the best course of action as we move forward into the 2017-18 season is to continue under the leadership of General Manager Dell Demps and Head Coach Alvin Gentry,” said Loomis. “We will continue to evaluate important roles on both the administrative and coaching staffs which will be resolved at the appropriate time.”

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/sta...licans-5-15-17

DEY STAY

..... on second thought isnt this like the same statement they gave like 2 weeks before firing Monty? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 05-15-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Thibs?! Really? A guy notorious for playing his guys too many minutes in an era where sports science indicates your players run out of gas if you make it to the playoffs (see: Harden, J. and Thibs' Bulls teams). I'm not sure how people still assume he would have been a great hire when he hasn't been a great hire in Minnesota. He has Chris Dunn looking like a bust, and the guy has 2 way starting PG for the next 12 years written all over him.
    So now you're going to claim that Thibs isn't a good coach? And let me guess, Gentry is better? And you use a young team's record and the play of a rookie PG as your evidence. Good Lord.

Heard that Loomis is the reason they are still here. Others wanted them gone, but Loomis wanted them to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    Heard that Loomis is the reason they are still here. Others wanted them gone, but Loomis wanted them to stay.
    Who would "others" be?

Banned
    When I read the text message from the Pelicans with Mr. Benson statements I was sick to my stomach.
    Again how does not changing anything get you to 40 wins and a playoff lol
    Let me guess they will pay Steel Rod to stay as well in July.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrow View Post
    Loomis wasn't about to eat their salary. He is gonna let them walk next year when their contracts are up.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

This MOVE makes ZERO sense. ONLY 2 things can happen 1) We stink early & often, which means Gentry & Demps, ALONG w/ Boogie are gone or 2) We win just enough for Boogie to re-sign, which in turn AUTOMATICALLY GIVES GENTRY A MULTIYEAR EXTENSION!!! You cant sign Boogie & then (180-Fire Gentry) This is a pitiful situation. In order to keep Boogie, we have to keep a crappy coach & GM.

Thread Information