Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Pels/Nuggets Gameday Thread Part Three: War For The 9th Seed contd..

Quote Originally Posted by lawless522 View Post
    Unbelievable. In a close game, Jrue Holiday can't be trusted with the basketball in his hands. Generally, when people say that, they're referring to a player taking the last shot. Not here though. Our point guard and third best player can't even be trusted to advance the ball on an inbounds pass. Seriously. He was better in Philly where there was no pressure to win. Way too SAWFT to be the starting point guard on a playoff contender built around two big men who need to be fed. Gonna hate it when we fork over a ton of money to be stuck with a mentally fragile, marginally talented point guard for the next 5 years.
    Calm down sir. We have worst problems than Jrue on the team.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    As far as Moore starting, I think too many react to one game. Moore is a good bench player. To start him instead of Frazier does not achieve the goal of playing Jrue off the ball. Moore is very hot and cold and I think some are reacting to a hot game.
    That "goal" is a fool's errand. Jrue and Moore are the two best guards on the team and they play well together. The team is better with them both on the floor, offensively and defensively. Frazier only played 16 minutes last game.

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Calm down sir. We have worst problems than Jrue on the team.
    Man, I appreciate the advice, but I posted that last night. It’s been like 10 hours or something. That’s more than enough time to calm down. Heck, since then I've gotten a good night’s sleep, woke up, did a little yoga, had a cup of herbal tea, balanced my chi, and creatively visualized that we weren’t about to hand over a max contract to a mentally fragile, marginally talented point guard. Ahhhh….inner peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Except Mike Conley isn't making 20m a year, he signed a 5 year 153m contract.
    Did you read the post I was responding to? Why respond to mine and not the one that said that to begin with? Or any of the other posts that addressed that since?

As far as Jrue, the holes in the boats just got larger with those last few plays last night. That was high school stuff. That was a prime reason the team has been starting Frazier. Jrue cannot be trusted with the ball and this is NOT new. He had these dumb turnover problems way back in Philly.

At this point I just cannot see a GM dumb enough to pay him more than $20mm. Conley is worth his contract. Especially with a final year being voidable. Jrue is a few levels below that and should be paid like it.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    I don't think Jrue Holiday is so irreplaceable. Jeff Teague (meh) or Patty Mills should cost half as much. It's not just "future flexibility" as in cap space when you forgo Jrue at a huge number. It's staying well below the luxury tax, which opens up access to the full MLE the next couple summers. It's staying well below the tax, so you can make more uneven trades.

I understand the focus on the short term and next season. It's true that the Pelicans will lose some talent if they let Holiday walk. But, his cap number in future summers will really constrain this franchise without a dramatic change in financial approach.
    I doubt they could get Teague for $12.5 million and maybe not even Mills if SA has their sites on him as the future starting PG. I like Rubio in a trade situation.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    That "goal" is a fool's errand. Jrue and Moore are the two best guards on the team and they play well together. The team is better with them both on the floor, offensively and defensively. Frazier only played 16 minutes last game.
    Again, you are looking at one game. They like Moore off the bench for scoring and some ball handling.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Again, you are looking at one game. They like Moore off the bench for scoring and some ball handling.
    They also like Crawford at SG off the bench for scoring. Moore needs more minutes and more time on the floor with Holiday. I'm not talking about 1 game, I'm talking about who he is as a player. Great defender, decent perimeter shooter, decent size but plays bigger than he is. This is the guard to pair with Holiday.

Jrue looked awesome running the point until the final two possessions. Cousins also looks excellent as a point forward. Moore is a good match with that lineup.

Can we agree that Frazier is a good back up PG that shouldn't be starting?

Moore/Crawford are good SGs that you have to find minutes for.

Everyone seems to agree we also need to add a PG that can handle the ball and initiate the offense.

Is there really a need on this team for a combo guard that can't play the 3, making a max salary??

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Everyone seems to agree we also need to add a PG that can handle the ball and initiate the offense.
    I don't agree. Jrue is capable in that role. I also like initiating the offense through Cousins as a point forward at the top of the key. Between the two of them initiating the offense, there doesn't need to be another PG in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I don't agree. Jrue is capable in that role. I also like initiating the offense through Cousins as a point forward at the top of the key. Between the two of them initiating the offense, there doesn't need to be another PG in the mix.
    except for the fact that when there isn't another ball handler paired with Jrue he turns the ball over far too much to ever warrant the kind of money he's asking for

Has Jrue ever said that he's expecting 25-30 mil a year?? I don't remember ever reading that.. If we can get him at 20 I think we should eat that up all day every day. He is a Great defender and when he decides to shoot is usually money, he makes mistakes but who doesn't?? Is he a Westbrook CP3 caliber player? No. But he would start on 85% of the teams in the NBA. He's not some bumbling idiot off the street and he's the glue that holds this team together! I love watching Jrue play, he makes some amazing plays, plays that others just can't do, but eveyone forgets that because of a badly timed turnover. A lot of you sound like the people calling for Drew Bree's head if he throws an INT, these are pro athletes tying to make plays happen. Mistakes happen, I will agree that he has had too many turnovers recently, but that's not "typical Jrue" as a lot of you have been saying. He played pretty damn good before the break. If anything we need a shooter next to him who can take some of the defensive pressure off of him and also create and share ball handling.

Fact of the matter is Jrue is gonna stay, I would put a lot of money on that. I also don't think he will break the bank, he wants to be here we helped him a lot with his wife's situation and we brought in the best C that we could possibly have asked for. He would be dumb to leave and he's not dumb.
    Last edited by Captaustin; 04-06-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaustin View Post
    Has Jrue ever said that he's expecting 25-30 mil a year?? I don't remember ever reading that.. If we can get him at 20 I think we should eat that up all day every day.
    Jrue earns 11,3 millions. The contract was agreed in the old CBA.
    11,3 is about 15 in the new 'times'.

Probably everybody on this forum would love him to take 20/year.

With this amount it is a no brainer to undersign the deal. Good player, tradable contract.

The problem is that he will receive bigger offers...

With Jrue it's not just the turnovers. I know this might be asking a lot these days, but your poit guard is supposed to be a coach on the floor. As in when a player is hot, you move other guys around to get that player the ball then tell him to go. Or when your team needs a bucket, you tell these big men to post up or run PnR. You don't allow someone to take a dumb 3.

I've seen more of that out of Crawford and Frazier than I ever have from Jrue, and that's saying a lot.

I'm all on board if Dell could swing a Teague or Bledsoe.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-06-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Thread Information