Pelicans Report

Thread: Asik, Hill, Moore

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar

Asik, Hill, Moore

I am sure everyone is aware of the dysfunctional relationship between Carmelo and Phil Jackson. IF they offered us Anthony, would you trade Asik, Hill and Moore for him? Or would you not even bother. I know he has a no trade clause. And I believe he really would rather stay in NYC. It really would be one sided as we would be dumping 3 bad contracts.

I think i would have to really think about if it would be worth the hassle. Would that even be a good fit with Boogie and AD. May not be worth it. He is really diminishing goods on a huge contract.

One thing is certain I think we should really consider trading Moore and/or Hill this off season. Too much money tied up in those guys.

So why would they take on self-described bad contracts? Why would Melo waive his no trade?

If you think there is too much money tied up in those players, don't you think other teams would feel the same?

How many 1st round picks would we have to add?

Yes that's an issue. But I believe from everything I heard the are trying to get out of the Melo business. I just thought is that a way for us to dump some dead weight. Certainly no one may want our bad contracts. But its been suggested by many on this site, with way more knowledge than me, that Hill's and Moore's contracts are tradeable. That in the right situation we could move one or both. Is this a "right situation"? No one knows. But I think there are teams with guys on bad contracts that they are looking to unload. And they maybe willing take back one if it works in their favor. Just a thought...

We need shooters but not Melo. We're at our best when the ball is moving, we all know Melo is a ball stopper. Plus AD and Cousins are going to be averaging nearly 30 or more each, we don't need another big time scorer in the way Melo likes to score.

Edit: But if we can get the Olympic Melo, where he spots up, cuts and have minimum ISOs. Maybe because we would be dangerous but Melo is known to be cancerous.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 03-30-2017 at 10:29 AM.

I like Hill and I don't think his contract is that bad. He's an elite wing defender and now that he's showing signs of life on the offensive end he could prove to be a steal in a year or two. Don't give up on him just yet.

Hmm...Knicks adding Asik to Noah. Anyway we could turn this into a 3way so they could wind up with Evan Turner also? And/or Mozgov?

I do not want Melo. Not even if the Knicks were giving him away.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I do not want Melo. Not even if the Knicks were giving him away.
    Which is essentially what they'd be doing. A rare trade that I think both fan bases would hate.
    @DanielVeuleman

I would take Melo or even a guy like a Rondo . Bring in Doc Rivers as a coach. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    I would take Melo or even a guy like a Rondo . Bring in Doc Rivers as a coach. Why not?
    Because we're finally in position to build something special? Our future success hinges on the moves we make this off-season, so why would we make stupid moves?

I think this off season has to be handled very very delicately. Every move has to be the right move. I don't think we have room for mistakes. Even if we don't do things to make us contenders next year, we need to put ourselves in position to do so the following year. And making a Melo trade just may be a potentially devastating move. I definitely agree...

I think in my OP I really was thinking of a way to free ourselves from some these cap killing contracts. Only way I see it happening is if we take back somebody else's unwanteds.

Ok so here I'll explain the reason Melo is a horrible trade for us.

First the idea of our "bad contracts". The only "bad" contract we have is Asik. There's just no place for him with Cousins now and in a Gentry system. Even still his contract can be managed because it's not all guaranteed. There's option for how we move his money without needing to take back bad contracts.

I don't see Moore or Hill as bad contracts. Moore for sure isn't. He's a good defensive and 3pt shooting guard that can start if needed but really helps out our bench and rotation.

Hill it could be argued is overpaid but he's actually pretty valuable defensively and has shown signs since the All Star break of understanding his role offensively better. His fit on our team going forward is really good.

Our team right now is ranked 6th in the entire NBA defensively. Moore and Hill are a big part of that. Moving them, especially for Melo kills us on that end of the court.

Speaking of the fit with Melo, it's just not there for this team. We already have two high usage bigs. If we tried to add Melo to that it would be insanely hard to get everyone enough shots. Melo would basically have to do what Kevin Love did in Cleveland except he's never shown himself to be willing to take a back seat like that.

So we'd be moving the team's depth and defensive players to add a guy who will be 33 next season, is only an offensive player, has a huge usage when we already have two other high usage players, is owed even more money and a trade kicker raise increase of 15%, and who's numbers have declined Year-over-year for the last 4 years in a row.

No one actually wants Melo now. People want the idea of what Melo was 5 years ago. Unfortunately he's just not that player anymore.

No melo for me thanks.
    I think patience with Hill and Moore will pay off well. They really help the team defense, and while they don't bring the offensive firepower, they don't stop the ball or demand shots. Moore can make shots and plays offensively if he gets some help. I think Moore was a lot less than 100% with a foot/toe thing, and he's starting to look better. Hill I think was feeling pres oksure from the contract at the beginning, but gradually seems to be gaining confidence. He has some room to grow offensively, and with all the defense paying attention to the stars, he could really blossom. Also, rebounding weakness not hurting us with Cousins now.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Thread Information