Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on potential head coaching hires.

Interesting article on potential head coaching hires.

I will admit that I am one of the guys always trumpeting for a better coach than the one we currently have. I am not sure who is out there that would be a potential fit, so when people do push back with "well, who would you have coach the Pels?" I am often not sure who to name, because I don't keep a finger on the pulse of the NBA coaching circles. But this article was a great read for guys like me, who want a head coach, but aren't sure who the best fit would be. It lists quite a few guys, and why they would be great as Head Coaches in the NBA.

If you are like me, give it a read, and tell me who you would replace Gentry with (this is assuming that Demps is also gone).

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page...rospects-watch

IF NBA HEAD COACHES appear more on edge these days, you'll have to excuse their anxiety. Forty percent of them didn't hold their current position on New Year's Day 2016, some 15 months ago. In Oklahoma City, Billy Donovan has served longer than half of the head coaches in the league, and Mike Budenholzer has the sixth-longest tenure at four seasons. So much for continuity, which the league trumpets as the mother's milk of team-building.

Paradoxically, there's a broad consensus in NBA circles that the league has never been better served by those roving the sidelines in 2017. Though few coaches receive 100 percent approval ratings, league insiders were hard-pressed to come up with a name when asked off the record if they could identify a lousy head coach. Most criticisms came with caveats for younger coaches who were growing into their roles, which is understandable because the task has never been more daunting.
    I really like the idea of bringing in ...
    Ettore Messina, San Antonio Spurs assistant coach
    Placing Messina on a list of rising stars in the coaching field feels sacrilegious. At 57, he is one of international basketball's most distinguished coaches in history, a winner of four Euroleague championships and a slew of league titles in Italy and Russia. Messina has coached in just about every basketball context imaginable, which makes him a top candidate in an era when diversity of experience is considered a prime attribute for a future head coach.

After his career in Europe, Messina came stateside to join Mike Brown's staff in Los Angeles as a consultant before returning to Moscow for a couple of seasons. While in Moscow in 2012-13, he employed Quin Snyder as an assistant; Messina is godfather to Snyder's infant son. In 2014, Messina took his lifetime of experience into the crucible that is the San Antonio Spurs.

Messina is intense, but the Spurs also have a way of smoothing off rough edges in a personality. In Europe, player development occurs primarily at the youth level, but in San Antonio, Messina has been exposed to its importance in the NBA, further filling out his education. Tactically, Messina fashioned in Europe an intelligent brand of inside-out ball that forces defenses to move. He has amassed a canon of basketball knowledge and commands respect from professionals, young and old.

Those who know Messina say he'd more likely gravitate toward a team with a veteran roster, but given the breadth of his portfolio, any team looking for a serious, dedicated leader might very well have Messina on its target list.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Another interesting article, Silver wants a female head coach soon!

http://deadspin.com/adam-silver-want...ead-1793746214

Silver was definitive on the subject of a women coaching an NBA team, which came up in the news three weeks ago when Mike Francesa dismissed it ever happening:

“There definitely will,” Silver said when asked about a woman becoming an NBA head coach. “And I think it is on me to sort of ensure that it happens sooner rather than later.”
    He later spoke about the need to keep the pipeline stocked:

I do think there are things that the league can and should be doing to accelerate the move toward a woman being a head coach in the league. We have begun a training program here in the league office so we can bring in women who have been around the game of basketball — some of them are former players or some just have a passion for the game. They begin becoming part of the network of team personnel. So that when these assistant coaching jobs become available, they are in the pipeline and in a position to potentially get those jobs.
    There are three women currently with NBA basketball ops jobs; Becky Hammon and Nancy Lieberman are assistants with San Antonio and Sacramento, respectively, and Natalie Nakase is a video coordinator with the Clippers. Hammon is the obvious frontrunner to get a head coaching job first, and she recently turned down a gig leading Florida’s women’s program. There’s nobody better to learn under than Gregg Popovich, after all.

Who do you want to see replace Gentry? I am assuming that you want him gone as well right?

If Gentry and Demps aren't gone after this year, I think we will all be looking like that picture of Boogie you have as your Avatar.

JVG,Hammon 2 good names.

If Gentry goes, then Demps should be right behind him. Demps has done nothing positive. The Cousins deal does not count because the jury is still out on that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    If Gentry goes, then Demps should be right behind him. Demps has done nothing positive. The Cousins deal does not count because the jury is still out on that trade.
    Correct. I got slammed by some posters for saying this. Fact is jury is still out. On that note if Gentry loses on Friday night...

Let that sink in a second.
    Last edited by Champ; 03-29-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Of that list, I like Messina, Fleming, and Ham in that order. European coaches know how to use skilled big men in non-traditional ways. And anybody that's good enough to be Budenholzer's right hand man (Ham) is good enough for me. I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Correct. I got slammed by some posters for saying this. Fact is jury is still out. On that note if Gentry loses on Friday night...

Let that sink in a second.
    I don't get all this Demps hate. Wtf else do y'all want from him? He got a top ten player for pennies on the dollar. Followed it up with getting a guard from D-League who could easily be a starter for many teams in the NBA. Turnover is what causes dysfunction and I think we're pretty good on the GM front. Yes, the Asik deal was bad but come on. Our future is set up better than at least 25 other teams in the league. Give him an offseason to finish what he started.

What is the jury still out on for the boogie trade?

jury (national media) still thinks that they are terrible together.... :/

JVG,Hammon 2 good names.
    Sell me on Hammon.

Interesting article on potential head coaching hires.

No possible way you can hire Hammon. That's WAY too big of a risk. You've got AD and Boogie, it has to be an established coach with some head coaching experience. I don't mind if it's a coach that did their time in Europe or college but I just can't imagine risking our team for someone who has never been a head coach.

There's a lot of hype around Hammon and she might end up being an awesome head coach but she only has 4 years of experience even being on a coaching staff and the first year was only part time. I wouldn't want Derek Fisher or any other newly retired player for this same reason.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-30-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Did someone say the jury is still out on the cousins trade? Kmsl
    I'm a grinder

Basketball Guru
    im not scared to say it....yall have to stop with the hammon talk as coach of this team......nba talking heads and fans expect boogie and AD to lead the pelicans to the playoffs next season and hiring hammon to be the coach is not the way to go with this team and all the expectations next season.....yes , if yall would be honest with yourself the female coach thing is the main reason.......maybe if she go coach a men college team and make a name with that team then maybe she will get a serious look at a nba team but imo i just dont see a woman being a nba head coach soon.......

I dont see gentry being fired now that he has the best big men duo in the league,,,i think getting boogie saved his job....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    im not scared to say it....yall have to stop with the hammon talk as coach of this team......nba talking heads and fans expect boogie and AD to lead the pelicans to the playoffs next season and hiring hammon to be the coach is not the way to go with this team and all the expectations next season.....yes , if yall would be honest with yourself the female coach thing is the main reason.......maybe if she go coach a men college team and make a name with that team then maybe she will get a serious look at a nba team but imo i just dont see a woman being a nba head coach soon.......

I dont see gentry being fired now that he has the best big men duo in the league,,,i think getting boogie saved his job....
    I don't care what her gender is. If she can coach, she can coach. My issue is you don't risk the AD and Boogie pairing, especially with Cousins only having 1 year left under contract, on an unproven coach.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Did someone say the jury is still out on the cousins trade? Kmsl
    Your boy M.M. even took it a step further in saying there could be problems in getting him to sign extension.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Who do you want to see replace Gentry? I am assuming that you want him gone as well right?

If Gentry and Demps aren't gone after this year, I think we will all be looking like that picture of Boogie you have as your Avatar.
    I've got another name. Doc Rivers. Seems like Clippers might be cleaning house soon. Doc and Erman had good chemistry in Boston. Rivers would enjoy coaching Boogie& A.D.

I've got another name. Doc Rivers. Seems like Clippers might be cleaning house soon. Doc and Erman had good chemistry in Boston. Rivers would enjoy coaching Boogie& A.D.
    I have usually been against Doc as I don't see him as much by way as a game changing coach. He isn't innovative, and his system only works if you have the right guys in place. He has had more than enough talent to work with in LA, and anyone telling you otherwise would be a liar. I am not sure he would be a good coach here, but I am sure if he had 3 HOF players, and a budding pg to work with he could be successful somewhere else.

Messina is my choice.

His strengths fit our strengths and he has had the opportunity to cut his teeth with the best organization and coach in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sunillionaire View Post
    I don't get all this Demps hate. Wtf else do y'all want from him? He got a top ten player for pennies on the dollar. Followed it up with getting a guard from D-League who could easily be a starter for many teams in the NBA. Turnover is what causes dysfunction and I think we're pretty good on the GM front. Yes, the Asik deal was bad but come on. Our future is set up better than at least 25 other teams in the league. Give him an offseason to finish what he started.
    This

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Messina could work, but that isn't guaranteed.
    I would give Gentry year 3. Firing a coach (Monty) after a playoff appearance, and then firing his replacement after 2 seasons, isn't smart management.

Quote Originally Posted by sunillionaire View Post
    7 years and counting on this rebuild. It was not just the Asik deal. Norris Cole. Do you want me to go farther back?

Your boy M.M. even took it a step further in saying there could be problems in getting him to sign extension.
    This summer maybe, i dont remember him saying anything about next. Source?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    7 years and counting on this rebuild. It was not just the Asik deal. Norris Cole. Do you want me to go farther back?
    How long do you think it takes to turn a franchise that has never won anything (and isn't in a big media market) into a consistent winner? What were you expecting?

LOL. You're an idiot.

Thread Information