Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Pels vs Jazz Gameday thread 3/27/17

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Hopes this puts an end to the Pels are better without Boogie nonsense. Not against better coached teams. Especially on the road.

And Snyder pretty much wrecked Gentry 4 times this year. Bad sideline matchup more than anything.
    Agree with you 100% . Yet we have some who still defend Gentry's style of coaching.

we still have hope..we gotta hope denver beats the blazers

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Hopes this puts an end to the Pels are better without Boogie nonsense. Not against better coached teams. Especially on the road.

And Snyder pretty much wrecked Gentry 4 times this year. Bad sideline matchup more than anything. And it still took them circus shots to pull it out.
    The Jazz being on fire from 3 is why the Pels loss. Not sure how you see that as Gentry being out coached.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    The Jazz being on fire from 3 is why the Pels loss. Not sure how you see that as Gentry being out coached.
    I'm talking about all 4 games not jut this one. And even in this one, the Jazz exploited matchups and got wide open looks (27 assists for Jazz to 17 for Pelicans). This team fought on sheer gut. Not many open looks and lots of bad shots period.

Outside of AD, Holiday scored 19 on 17 shots, and Crawford 14 on 16 shots. Both of their point totals should have been much higher than that.

All 4 games have gone that way.
    Last edited by luckyman; 03-28-2017 at 12:24 AM.

True.Very well said.

I'm talking about all 4 games not jut this one. And even in this one, the Jazz exploited matchups and got wide open looks (27 assists for Jazz to 17 for Pelicans). This team fought on sheer gut. Not many open looks and lots of bad shots period.

Outside of AD, Holiday scored 19 on 17 shots, and Crawford 14 on 16 shots. Both of their point totals should have been much higher than that.

Well Utah is the best defensive team in the league also...we lost because of the pels inability to guard the three tonight...now in reference to the other games, I vaguely remember any of them lol.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post

I hope Denver wins. We will win almost all of our games. I think we can win 7 out of 8.

We will beat MAVS, SAC, BULLS, DENVER, DENVER, LAKERS, PORTLAND

GSW will beat us. I just want to finish strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by glepurple View Post
    Well Utah is the best defensive team in the league also...we lost because of the pels inability to guard the three tonight...now in reference to the other games, I vaguely remember any of them lol.
    Well Utah is 3rd. Golden St. is 1st. Pelicans were 5th.

But the Pelicans problems on offense have been all year save a few games. Gentry can preach passing the ball around all he wants. The goal is to get a good shot. Not pass it around then somebody do something 1 on 1. Or take a long 2. That is their problem. Individual talent will not cure that every game.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

Because the Jazz are the better team and have better talent. I just wish, for the sake of the debate, people would be specific when criticizing coaching and point out what the coach could have done differently to change the outcome.

I could say if Pat Riley was coaching this team they'd have won this game tonight, and y'all would probably agree. But what does that even mean?!?

When they blew out the Nuggets last night, and erased an 18 point lead tonight, what was Gentry doing right?

They shot 56% from 3. Tough to beat a team when they are hitting them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Because the Jazz are the better team and have better talent. I just wish, for the sake of the debate, people would be specific when criticizing coaching and point out what the coach could have done differently to change the outcome.

I could say if Pat Riley was coaching this team they'd have won this game tonight, and y'all would probably agree. But what does that even mean?!?

When they blew out the Nuggets last night, and erased an 18 point lead tonight, what was Gentry doing right?
    I agree, the pels are not as good of a team as the jazz. We have sucked the entire season and have been healthy most of it. We are an offensively inept team mostly due to talent, which is a bigger knock on dell than gentry. Gentry's offense is creating good looks our guys just don't knock them down all the time. We won't see consistent improvement until we can address the starting 2 guard and fill out the rest of the bench. Now with that said, I am not a Gentry supporter and I think he should be fired regardless of the teams finish to the season.

The Jazz average 25.9 3pt attempts per game. They make those as a team at a rate of 36.6%. As a team they average 9.5 made 3s a game. Against us they took 27 3s. They made 15.

Joe Ingles shot 5-5 from 3pt. The previous 4 games he had went 3/16.
    George Hill went 3-6 from 3pt. His previous 4 games he had went 4/18.
    Rodney Hood went 4-7 from 3pt. His previous 4 he had went 3/12.

This is a team that averages 100pts a game ranked 29th in the league. They were missing Hayward and Favors. They scored 108 and won by 8.

Yes, they got some open looks they shouldn't have. But they probably get those open looks every game at different times. The difference was they were on fire from 3 against us.

It sucks because this felt like a game we could come in and steal especially with their injuries. Having Cousins would have helped because we needed another big body to bang in there and get rebounds. They played Gobert 39 minutes.

I typed all this to basically say, some nights just isn't your night. Sometimes you play decent but the other team just plays better. Could we have done some things differently? Sure. But, without Cousins I feel like tonight was one of those games where it would have taken our bench getting hot to match them for us to win. Unfortunately we don't have the fire power for that.

Next year Utah. Next year.

And Snyder pretty much wrecked Gentry 4 times this year. Bad sideline matchup more than anything. And it still took them circus shots to pull it out.
    I still can't rationalize how people feel like we are somehow worst when we got the best center in the league. One of the main problems was that we didn't have a legit big around AD for years and now we do we are somehow worst off?

I'm not to worried about making the playoffs. That ship has sailed a while ago. I'm just want to see this core gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The Jazz average 25.9 3pt attempts per game. They make those as a team at a rate of 36.6%. As a team they average 9.5 made 3s a game. Against us they took 27 3s. They made 15.

Joe Ingles shot 5-5 from 3pt. The previous 4 games he had went 3/16.
    George Hill went 3-6 from 3pt. His previous 4 games he had went 4/18.
    Rodney Hood went 4-7 from 3pt. His previous 4 he had went 3/12.

This is a team that averages 100pts a game ranked 29th in the league. They were missing Hayward and Favors. They scored 108 and won by 8.

Yes, they got some open looks they shouldn't have. But they probably get those open looks every game at different times. The difference was they were on fire from 3 against us.

It sucks because this felt like a game we could come in and steal especially with their injuries. Having Cousins would have helped because we needed another big body to bang in there and get rebounds. They played Gobert 39 minutes.

I typed all this to basically say, some nights just isn't your night. Sometimes you play decent but the other team just plays better. Could we have done some things differently? Sure. But, without Cousins I feel like tonight was one of those games where it would have taken our bench getting hot to match them for us to win. Unfortunately we don't have the fire power for that.

Next year Utah. Next year.
    This exactly. They were making contested 3's too. It just was their night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone fishin

LOL why they put Trombone Shorty on the boat tho

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    LOL why they put Trombone Shorty on the boat tho

wait lol is that eric gordon in the back?

Basketball Guru
    we had the lead in the 3rd 63-62 with about 7mins left then the wheels feel off...we ended the 3rd down 81-71......we couldnt score in those 7mins in the 3rd....we settle for jump shots...AD attack the rim once,,,we had no inside game against them when our shots were not falling,,,,dante the only person who went to the FT line,,,,the jazz were scoring inside the paint and throwing up 3s that was just hell bent on going in lol,,,we just didnt have the firepower in those 7mins to keep up with their crazy 3pt shooting.......our time is coming....

Thread Information