Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Pels vs Nuggets 3/26/17 Gameday thread

Kinda hurts a little bit to see buddy making good plays and hitting 3s, then I think of cousins and it all goes away

Quote Originally Posted by Captaustin View Post
    Kinda hurts a little bit to see buddy making good plays and hitting 3s, then I think of cousins and it all goes away
    LOL! I know right!

Shocking outcome. Still wish these damn guards would penetrate more. Especially against the 29th ranked defense in the league.

Things are really shaping up to that last game of the season.

Jesus, playing without Boogie and win by +25points on the road ?
    What a performance by the Pelicans!

Cousins must play tommorow night. Right?

Great win. Probably need to get another tomorrow to have a shot at 8 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Jesus, playing without Boogie and win by +25points on the road ?
    What a performance by the Pelicans!

Cousins must play tommorow night. Right?
    Is it at all significant that the three games we've played without Demarcus since the trade were a 23-point win over Detroit, a 16-point win over Houston and a 25-point win over Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Is it at all significant that the three games we've played without Demarcus since the trade were a 23-point win over Detroit, a 16-point win over Houston and a 25-point win over Denver?
    Yes and that's just crazy.

I don't think it has anything to do with Cousins either. With a non-traditional PG in Holiday, the offense just isn't set up to have two legit scoring options in the post.

Even with Frazier starting, when Jrue is on the court, the offense still runs through Jrue. Frazier just brings the ball up and stands in the corner for the possession.

With Cousins off the court, it forces the team to run an offense that works better with a SG playing PG

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Our offense is improving. You have to give gentry credit. They made several adjustments that are working. I hope gentry keeps his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with Cousins either. With a non-traditional PG in Holiday, the offense just isn't set up to have two legit scoring options in the post.

Even with Frazier starting, when Jrue is on the court, the offense still runs through Jrue. Frazier just brings the ball up and stands in the corner for the possession.

With Cousins off the court, it forces the team to run an offense that works better with a SG playing PG
    The narrative that won't die lol

Yes clearly it's not that the team that has been in the system for 2 years now knows how to play together better than when they add a player who has been here for 16 games. It MUST be that Jrue just doesn't know how to play with Cousins.

Why did we suck pre all-star break again?

I'm not even saying it's Jrue's fault.

Just the offense isn't set up to have a scoring PG with two scoring bigs. I think that's why Frazier is starting, but until they let the offense run through Frazier (not specifically Frazier, but a pass-first PG) you're going to have offensive struggles.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I love Jrue at SG. I hope we resign him and add a starter at PG.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I love Jrue at SG. I hope we resign him and add a starter at PG.

Agreed! I wasn't a fan of it at first but it seems like he's a great secondary ball handler.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes clearly it's not that the team that has been in the system for 2 years now knows how to play together better than when they add a player who has been here for 16 games. It MUST be that Jrue just doesn't know how to play with Cousins.

Jrue played out of position, no boogie, and we didn't have a scorer like instant grits off the bench.

Instant Grits! He's certainly softened the hit of losing Buddy. I'm not sure what to make of the Demarcus thing. Pretty small sample size, I'll admit. But there does seem to be a much better flow in the offense without him. On the other hand, we but up some big numbers with him lately as well. Could be just be the team as a whole is maturing into Gentry's system.

I'll admit I was skeptical about the Cousins trade, even though the deal Dell swung was hard to turn down. It was more that I thought the team was finally playing the way Alvin envisioned heading into the break and that with Cousins aboard, we'd devolve back into a plodding, iso-ball, half-court offense that was hard to run and even harder to watch. To some extent that's exactly what happened post-trade. But there is no denying Cousins is a fantastic player and fills some legit needs for a low-post presence who can also move out and threaten from behind the arc. I'm still not totally sold that he and AD work together on the court and the offense still seems freer and more varied when Cousins is out, but you can maybe start to see how they can put something good together.

Better flow of the offense without him? Could it be just the fact that they've played poor defensive teams in the games he sat out? Houston has hovered around 15-20, Denver is near the bottom around 28, and Detroit is the only one decent 10-15. Even then they struggled @Detroit and failed to reach 100--also without Cousins.

I can almost guarantee if he doesn't play tonight they'll struggle to break 80.
    Last edited by luckyman; 03-27-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captaustin View Post
    It does not hurt me at all. It means we drafted the right player (props to Dell) and the we traded him for an ALL STAR! What hurts here?

Another great win! I am surprised to say it but Ajinca had another decent game and has played really well recently. Since Ajinca already has a contract with the Pels Motiejunas is gone. I wonder what's gonna happen with Cunningham. What kind of contract he will get. If it is not too high I wish he stayed.

Could it just be that the Pelicans are better without Hield? If Pels are doing well after trading Buddy and are playing their best in games in which Cousins doesn't play then isn't Buddy the only other factor?

Don't ask me why or how, I'm just looking at all the factors in terms of personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRox View Post
    Could it just be that the Pelicans are better without Hield? If Pels are doing well after trading Buddy and are playing their best in games in which Cousins doesn't play then isn't Buddy the only other factor?

Don't ask me why or how, I'm just looking at all the factors in terms of personnel.
    Out Buddy, Galloway, and Tyreke. In Cousins.

Out Buddy, Galloway, and Tyreke. In Cousins.
    Forgot about Tyreke who seems like a ball dominant cancerous type of player and getting rid of him itself would be like addition by subtraction.

Thread Information