Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Watch: Race for 8th

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    STILL AQLIVE!!!!

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Werdiknight View Post
    And that alone is probably highly unlikely. No, not impossible, but very, very, very unlikely. Not because this team is bad or anything, just because the margin of error is just about zero at this point. Just statistically speaking: Even if the Pels would be a 70% favourite in each single of the remainding games (which they are clearly not, at least to me), the probability of winning all of them is somewhere around 5,6%. And that doesn't even account that the Blazers could just themselves win one or two too much games for it to be even mathematically possible to catch them (which in my mind is the most likely scenario).

Getting to the playoffs this year is just that much unlikely, that - personally - I prefer to concentrate on other, much more important things and just relax about this season. But of course, anyone can keep their hopes alive as long as it's possible and anyone wishes.
    It may be highly unlikely, but its fun to have something to root for (something not ping pongs) after the last season and a half. For that purpose alone, I wanna enjoy the fact we are still "in it".

Quote Originally Posted by Werdiknight View Post
    And that alone is probably highly unlikely. No, not impossible, but very, very, very unlikely. Not because this team is bad or anything, just because the margin of error is just about zero at this point. Just statistically speaking: Even if the Pels would be a 70% favourite in each single of the remainding games (which they are clearly not, at least to me), the probability of winning all of them is somewhere around 5,6%. And that doesn't even account that the Blazers could just themselves win one or two too much games for it to be even mathematically possible to catch them (which in my mind is the most likely scenario).

Getting to the playoffs this year is just that much unlikely, that - personally - I prefer to concentrate on other, much more important things and just relax about this season. But of course, anyone can keep their hopes alive as long as it's possible and anyone wishes.
    It might be 5% at those odds right now. But before tonight it would have been 2%. The more they win the higher the odds go each game all things stay the same.

Plus neither Denver nor Portland play defense. Portland is 22nd and Denver is 29th. Teams like that can't be trusted to do what you think they'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    It may be highly unlikely, but its fun to have something to root for (something not ping pongs) after the last season and a half. For that purpose alone, I wanna enjoy the fact we are still "in it".
    This. Plus it makes the games more fun to watch. I was so hyped at the end of the game tonight. Such a fun game to watch.

We accomplished a bigger race tonight - race to 4th place in the southwest - first time since 2010-11

If the Warriors can maintain their lead in the standings as of now, they would start resting starters by the time they play the Pelicans.

#reversePelslife?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If the Warriors can maintain their lead in the standings as of now, they would start resting starters by the time they play the Pelicans.

#reversePelslife?
    Then spurs would rest players at Portland

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

#reversePelslife?
    Durant ahead of schedule . May play vs Pels. #Pelslife

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...turn/99801470/

Barring a setback, Durant is known to be targeting the Warriors’ three-game homestand at the end of the season to return (April 8 against New Orleans, April 10 against Utah and April 12 against the Lakers). And as was the case back in July, when Durant left Oklahoma City behind by coming their way in free agency, the rest of the NBA is about to have every reason to be concerned again.
    Last edited by Champ; 03-29-2017 at 11:16 PM.

@ Quailman & Luckyman:

Fair enough, guys. Didn't want to take you your hopes or something, just explain myself. I'm just a person who doesn't like to get his hopes up for things that are really, really unlikely. Just because I cannot stand being disappointed at all and I've been far too many times in situations with an A LOT likelier positive outcome. So if I "know" that there is just a very small, theoretical chance for a positive outcome of some situation I don't believe in it until it becomes somewhat realistic and instead just prefer to look to the future (in this case: offseason and next season).

That doesn't mean I cannot be hyped in general, just not when the odds are so high against my team. But I am really looking forward to next year and actually I enjoy the last few weeks. Since Boogie is here there's actually something to look forward to. At least a real good chance that this team will become really, really good. And I guess that is what we were all looking for for a damn long time now...

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    Then spurs would rest players at Portland
    The Spurs backups play as hard and disciplined as their starters. Haven't they upset a few teams when they did that?

I'd take the +15 in that game anyways.

This race is over! Its like being in a race where you're in 3rd and the only chance you got of winning is if the 2 people in front of you caught cramps before they reach the finish line.

I see the Rockets are really making a concerted effort to lose to the Trailblazers.

Oh well. Rockets decided to lose.

Alright I give up. Still want Ws though.

All-Star
    Portland lost Nurkic for the next 2 weeks with right leg fibula fracture. He changed there offense when they traded for him before the all star break. That might be a little help for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Delko View Post
    Portland lost Nurkic for the next 2 weeks with right leg fibula fracture. He changed there offense when they traded for him before the all star break. That might be a little help for us.
    Portland is incredibly hot right now, and only have to win 3 out 7 to eliminate us from the playoffs. We have to beat 7/7 including GS at GS just to even have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Portland is incredibly hot right now, and only have to win 3 out 7 to eliminate us from the playoffs. We have to beat 7/7 including GS at GS just to even have a chance.
    So your saying we have a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Delko View Post
    Just posted this on the main page. This is huge! They have been a different team with him. Al we really need is the good teams to beat them and minny to get the home game they have against the blazers for us to have a shot in the last game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I wouldn't call them "hot" so much as they've hit a favorable part of their schedule with Harden just being injured. Now Phoenix on deck. During this hot stretch, they did come here and got smothered by 23.

That light is still flickering. Big loss for them. That Minnesota/Utah stretch will tell it.

I really cannot see how the Blazers do not manage to at least win 2 more out of 7 remainding games which should be enough. I actually might see us winning some more games and becoming the 9th seed when it's all said and done. Not that it would matter too much but finishing the season on a high note might be a good thing going forward...
    Last edited by Werdiknight; 03-31-2017 at 09:59 PM.

This thread is officially dead.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    This thread is officially dead.
    lol

I think this could be said about the Pels too.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    I think this could be said about the Pels too.

Right on cue as always
    I'm a grinder

Thread Information