Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Watch: Race for 8th

We are not making the playoffs but I am still enjoying this part of the season

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    We are not making the playoffs but I am still enjoying this part of the season
    We are playing a really solid basketball, but Yes - the gap for 8 place is to big.
    I'm waiting for next season, then We gonna be very strong.
    Last edited by Creative; 03-25-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    We are playing a really solid basketball, but Yes - the gap for 8 place is to big.
    I'm waiting for next season, then We gonna be very strong.
    Yeah the future surprisingly looks great. I wouldn't have expected that few months ago

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Won a must win tonight. Pretty much every game here on out is must win tho... big one tomorrow agains jazz... hopefully Dmc can play!

Sent from my Phone
    No Trade List: Hornets

Come on man. No realistic chance of getting the 8th seed. We'd pretty much have to win all remaining games and even then would need help. Let's face it this isn't a playoff team. Not the current roster nor the coaching staff. And anyway what would be the point of going into the playoffs with a losing record then getting beat 4-0? Simply put a team with a sub 500 record in any sport does not deserve to make the playoffs. It's simply not an accomplishment to back into something.

Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    Come on man. No realistic chance of getting the 8th seed. We'd pretty much have to win all remaining games and even then would need help. Let's face it this isn't a playoff team. Not the current roster nor the coaching staff. And anyway what would be the point of going into the playoffs with a losing record then getting beat 4-0? Simply put a team with a sub 500 record in any sport does not deserve to make the playoffs. It's simply not an accomplishment to back into something.

Lol. If the season had started last month we'd easily be a 4th to 6th seed team with the current roster. The hyperbole is strong in special.

I do think it's a long shot. Catching Denver will be easy but Portland doesn't just have a four game lead, they are also playing well. Yeah. Probably not going to happen but it's not unrealistic. But.....hyperbole....

I do think we gain a lot by getting into the playoffs. Even if we get swept 1st round that is a huge moral victory. It goes much further in the mind of Boogie and potential FAs than most fans realize. Oh wait. We are doing hyperbole. It is the omgzzzzz greatest thingszand w3 can singz all the FAs like Curry and stuff so do itzzz!!!z

They could very well catch Portland and it doesn't require they win every game either.

They just need to protect home court and hope Denver, Houston, San Antonio, and maybe Minnesota lends a hand when they play Portland.

**and Utah twice.
    Last edited by luckyman; 03-27-2017 at 01:10 AM.

I'm looking at the schedules and Denver has a gauntlet to run thru:

@Blazers
    @Hornets
    @Heat
    @Pels
    @Rockets
    Pels
    OKC
    @Mavs
    @Thunder

Blazers got a ton of home games:

Nuggets
    Rockets
    Suns
    @Timberwolves
    @Jazz
    TWolves
    Jazz
    Spurs
    Blazers

Pels got:

@Utah
    Mavs
    Kings
    Bulls
    Nuggets
    @Nuggets
    @GS
    @Blazers

We have a chance... but not a good one with the way the Blazers have been playing.

So we're rooting for Denver when they play each other right lol

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I'm looking at the schedules and Denver has a gauntlet to run thru:

@Blazers
    @Hornets
    @Heat
    @Pels
    @Rockets
    Pels
    OKC
    @Mavs
    @Thunder

Blazers got a ton of home games:

Nuggets
    Rockets
    Suns
    @Timberwolves
    @Jazz
    TWolves
    Jazz
    Spurs
    Blazers

Pels got:

@Utah
    Mavs
    Kings
    Bulls
    Nuggets
    @Nuggets
    @GS
    @Blazers

We have a chance... but not a good one with the way the Blazers have been playing.
    Blazers are going to have a really tough finale against the Blazers

Two Minnesota games and a game against Phoenix remaining though...gotta pull for Denver when they play Portland.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 03-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Yes! Go Denver! Blazers gotta drop some home games.

Let's work out how this happens...

Pels lose tonight at Utah, but then wins the 4 game homestand (35-43) - (i'd love to win tonight, but being real)

Portland goes 2-3 (37-41) (losing to Nuggets, Rockets, and Jazz)

We move into the final week just 2 games behind -

Pels on the road for final games - 2-1 (loss to GS*)

Portland goes 1-2 (loss to Spurs* and Jazz)

Final game at Portland - winner takes all

*contingent on GS and Spurs sitting players (i could see that tight till the last game)

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Blazers are going to have a really tough finale against the Blazers
    Those scrimmages can go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    Let's work out how this happens...

Pels lose tonight at Utah, but then wins the 4 game homestand (35-43) - (i'd love to win tonight, but being real)

Portland goes 2-3 (37-41) (losing to Nuggets, Rockets, and Jazz)

We move into the final week just 2 games behind -

Pels on the road for final games - 2-1 (loss to GS*)

Portland goes 1-2 (loss to Spurs* and Jazz)

Final game at Portland - winner takes all

*contingent on GS and Spurs sitting players (i could see that tight till the last game)
    This is the only hope

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivation2k12 View Post
    This is the only hope
    Actually this is not unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Portland's win tonight, it is now extremely unlikely that they miss the playoffs

Lavar Ball would have had us as the #1 seed in the West after our first game of the season.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Portland still has to play the rockets, the jazz twice, Spurs, and they have to play the Pelicans. Those are 5 very tough games. They play timberwolves twice who are not a great team but they still have the ability to win against Portland. I know it's a long shot but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat lady is prepping with ginger tea. But she ain't sung yet.

Need the T wolves to make up for Denver at least once against the Blazers for any hope.

I personally believe that it doesn't matter THAT much how hard the Blazers schedule may be... just the fact that the Pels would have to win more or less ALL their final games and Portland has to lose all their games against their tougher opponents (and maybe even one against the Wolves) makes it statistically extremely, EXTREMELY improbable for us to catch them. It's just so much more likely that at least one or two (if not even more) games won't work out as "planned" and that's pretty much enough to make it impossible to catch the Blazers. At that point I guess it's much more likely to win big in the lottery than the Pels making the Playoffs this year. That is in no shape or form pessimism, just realism. Let's just enjoy the final games of this year, hope for some nice bball and especially for a successful offseason - because that is what is really important for this franchise moving on. This offseason may be more important than any other since Paul left...

I wouldn't be so extreme about it. The Blazers need to lose 4 games and will indeed be underdogs in 3 games (Rockets, @Jazz, Spurs). Possibly a 4th game against Jazz at home. That's assuming none of those teams decide to sit key players...#pelslife.

Just means the Pelicans have to run the table, or can possibly lose one if the T Wolves can get that game at their place.

Not favorable odds but no where near impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I wouldn't be so extreme about it. The Blazers need to lose 4 games and will indeed be underdogs in 3 games (Rockets, @Jazz, Spurs). Possibly a 4th game against Jazz at home. That's assuming none of those teams decide to sit key players...#pelslife.

Just means the Pelicans have to run the table, or can possibly lose one if the T Wolves can get that game at their place.

Not favorable odds but no where near impossible.
    And that alone is probably highly unlikely. No, not impossible, but very, very, very unlikely. Not because this team is bad or anything, just because the margin of error is just about zero at this point. Just statistically speaking: Even if the Pels would be a 70% favourite in each single of the remainding games (which they are clearly not, at least to me), the probability of winning all of them is somewhere around 5,6%. And that doesn't even account that the Blazers could just themselves win one or two too much games for it to be even mathematically possible to catch them (which in my mind is the most likely scenario).

Getting to the playoffs this year is just that much unlikely, that - personally - I prefer to concentrate on other, much more important things and just relax about this season. But of course, anyone can keep their hopes alive as long as it's possible and anyone wishes.
    Last edited by Werdiknight; 03-29-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Thread Information