Pelicans Report

Thread: AAU Ball

AAU Ball

Hello, I don't post often, but am always here reading up on everyone's opinions and have realized some of you out there actually know a thing or two about basketball.

I'm basketball literate but I admit, I don't really know as much as I know football regarding strategies, building a team, the way a program is run, etc...

So my question is this: I remember hearing someone say on a game broadcast, it was awhile ago, but I'm not exactly sure who said it. I want to say it was JVG, but I'm not 100% sure on that. They were talking about Melo's upbringing and stuff like that, then one of the commentators said something like this: "AAU basketball has ruined the game". Again, I think it was JVG, but not sure. They were basically discussing how AAU doesn't teach the game the right way or develops players the right way. I can't really recall exactly what was said.

I would just like to know if that's true and if it is or isn't, why? I'm sure there are some of you out there that are familiar with the AAU system and how it develops or doesn't develop future players. And if you think the AAU system is hurting the game?

In short, any opinions on the AAU system as it relates to the NBA?

I think he was referring to the competition as in AAU ruins it because most players grow up together and are close friends, as in the old days it was more a fight to be better because they were less friendships
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

AAU is really just a showcase of top talent in tournaments. AAU coaches can get paid from sponsors and they really don't hold practices. I heard it's getting better but it's not the same as playing for a school or Biddy ball at a park.

I can say this, as i have a son who is actively in AAU. AAU is about winning. They do not focus on developing a child other than what they need them for. Example my son is tall for his age at 13 and every team he goes and play for makes him a big and strictly works with him on being a big. I know when he gets to high school is definitely not going to be a center he'd be lucky to hit 6'5 real lucky. So that being said when he gets to high school and be guard height he won't know how to play the position. Which is why i make sure he works on his handles and footwork outside of aau because he won't get that kinda work. But on a positive note he will know how to play organized ball when he do get to high school.

My suggestion if you/ or your child wants to AAU make sure you play pick up ball as well and get involved in skill training because aau is strictly about winning now.

Thread Information