Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Alvin on the chop and block

At some point you are what your record says you are from players to coaches to executives. Gentry and Demps both need to be gone the sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    And they want the next coach to also be the president of basketball ops.

Paving the way for Coach Calipari?
    Jvg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    At some point you are what your record says you are from players to coaches to executives. Gentry and Demps both need to be gone the sooner the better.
    Let the congregation say Amen
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Amen!

I don't agree

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    I don't agree
    Then you are okay with mediocrity?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Sean Payton is a coach that has been 7-9 three seasons running, and could walk into any open coaching spot in the NFL as the #1 candidate without question.

I get the sentiment behind you are what your record is...but there isn't an aspect of life that's ever truly black and white. I doubt this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Gentry teaches AD Kung Fu so that he can chop and block
    this

Payton is trending in the wrong direction. Payton can go 7-9 again and some people will blame everybody but Payton. Benson should clean house. Payton, Loomis, Gentry, and Demps. Time for a new direction for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Payton is trending in the wrong direction. Payton can go 7-9 again and some people will blame everybody but Payton. Benson should clean house. Payton, Loomis, Gentry, and Demps. Time for a new direction for both teams.
    Only with you if this season goes down the chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Sean Payton is a coach that has been 7-9 three seasons running, and could walk into any open coaching spot in the NFL as the #1 candidate without question.

I get the sentiment behind you are what your record is...but there isn't an aspect of life that's ever truly black and white. I doubt this is one of them.
    Payton has a history of the highest levels of success at his position. Can Demps or Gentry say that? They don't compare. And really Payton's job should be in question.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Gentry will keep his job if he makes the playoffs. I like gentry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Gentry will keep his job if he makes the playoffs. I like gentry.

He would, but playoffs is a long shot. At this point I'm not sure what I want more, making the playoffs or a new HC.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    He would, but playoffs is a long shot. At this point I'm not sure what I want more, making the playoffs or a new HC.
    If they close out the season .700 we should keep him

We thought Monty was keeping his job when he made the playoffs too. . .

Who do you replace him with? There are really only what 3 to 4 coaches that truly get more out of their roster than what is in it, and none of them will be available this off season.

If we finish the season out strong I don't see Gentry going anywhere, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    If they close out the season .700 we should keep him

Dennis promised us changes.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...407a8cff3.html

I think they roll it back next year. The team has shown fight and improvement the last few games. Let's see what happens with a whole offseason/training camp with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by eballa1 View Post
    I think they roll it back next year. The team has shown fight and improvement the last few games. Let's see what happens with a whole offseason/training camp with this team.
    7 years and counting on the rebuilding.

Payton has a history of the highest levels of success at his position. Can Demps or Gentry say that? They don't compare. And really Payton's job should be in question.
    Oh, I fully agree. I'm just combating the "You are what your record says you are" mindset.

Hell, wasn't it Bill Parcells who said that to players who say they're better than their record as a way of getting them to play harder?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I've been rooting for a gentry change, but they've looked so amazing recently that if this continues the rest of the season I keep gentry.

Gentry has yes. Not only as a coach with Phoenix but also as an assistant recently with the Clippers and Warriors.

I still think this team is too jump shot happy. They also fail to recognize obvious mis matches in their favor. The problem is you can never really know if it's the coaching or are the players just that stupid and impossible to teach?

That said I'm at about 60/40 leave vs. stay on Gentry. I know he kows his stuff, but knowing it and being able to coach it are two different things. I'd love to know what his motivating techniques are, if he has any.

And the Bill Parcells quote has always been silly to me. An overall season record does not show things like momentum, key players that just got injured or are coming off injury. Mid season trades, etc., etc.

There are seasons within a season. For basketball it's pre AS, post AS, then playoffs. You have had great teams coast all year, then turn it on post AS then up another notch in the playoffs. Meanwhile pre AS they lose multiple games to lottery teams.

You see less of that in football but it exists in the 2nd half of the season when a 10-6 team starts demolishing everybody.

I see significant improvements so I am OK with Gentry staying one more year. I understant we dont exploiot all the mismatches as we should and maybe we are too shot happy (we need a great shooter at SG) but the guys seem happy as a team and they have been playing better recently. I dont think Gentry is a great coach but there is a chance he is not as bad as some here think. I don't mind him staying one more year especially if that could inresase the chances of Cousins resigning here (or rather firing Gentry and Dell could influence Cousins..)

Thread Information