Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Alvin on the chop and block

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Gentry has yes. Not only as a coach with Phoenix but also as an assistant recently with the Clippers and Warriors.

I still think this team is too jump shot happy. They also fail to recognize obvious mis matches in their favor. The problem is you can never really know if it's the coaching or are the players just that stupid and impossible to teach?

That said I'm at about 60/40 leave vs. stay on Gentry. I know he kows his stuff, but knowing it and being able to coach it are two different things. I'd love to know what his motivating techniques are, if he has any.
    Gentry does not have the highest levels of success as a Head Coach. If I'm not mistaken he has a losing record as a HC. How many playoff series has he won as a HC? To me Demps is the largest problem with this team and has the longer tenure, but there's been little in Gentry time here that makes me support bringing him back.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Gentry does not have the highest levels of success as a Head Coach. If I'm not mistaken he has a losing record as a HC. How many playoff series has he won as a HC? To me Demps is the largest problem with this team and has the longer tenure, but there's been little in Gentry time here that makes me support bringing him back.
    Well there is obviously nuance with everything. Gentry had the same problems in Phoenix that this franchise has had lately, which is injuries. The one year they didnt, they won 60+ games and nearly made the finals. Plus his name is attached to the offensive turnarounds in both LAC and Golden St.

Also, as far as I can tell, he has a pretty high reputation around the league. Success isn't only measured in something as basic as wins and losses.

Well there is obviously nuance with everything. Gentry had the same problems in Phoenix that this franchise has had lately, which is injuries. The one year they didnt, they won 60+ games and nearly made the finals. Plus his name is attached to the offensive turnarounds in both LAC and Golden St.

Also, as far as I can tell, he has a pretty high reputation around the league. Success isn't only measured in something as basic as wins and losses.
    I have no problem if people want to retain Gentry. However my comment clearly stated that Gentry doesn't have the highest levels of success as a HC.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We thought Monty was keeping his job when he made the playoffs too. . .
    Monty should have kept his job. Dell should have lost his
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Monty should have kept his job. Dell should have lost his
    Literally no one was saying Monty should have kept his job at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    It make sense occasionally on a temporary basis. This team is long past that that time frame and we have Dell Demps to thank for it.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 03-28-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Here are two numbers that are making it hard for me to give Gentry another go: 58 and 63.

What are they? The TS% of Evans and Hield since going to Sacremento. For reference they were 48 and 50 under Gentry.

As much as Hield was progressing, he looks like another player in Sacramento. Like the guy I and many others wanted to develop here.

Because he shouldn't have

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Here are two numbers that are making it hard for me to give Gentry another go: 58 and 63.

What are they? The TS% of Evans and Hield since going to Sacremento. For reference they were 48 and 50 under Gentry.

As much as Hield was progressing, he looks like another player in Sacramento. Like the guy I and many others wanted to develop here.
    First, Let's not get hung up on small sample size.

Also, Tyreke's TS is 55.4% in Sac not 58%. It was 49.1% this season with us. Last year in Gentry's system Tyreke's TS was 53.4%. For his entire career Tyreke has averaged 51.6% TS. All this is to say, Tyreke is shooting right at where he always has TS% wise. He's also out again with his knee. 222 minutes played in Sac.

Buddy Hield does have a really high TS%. But these teams are trying to do two different things with Buddy. We were trying to incorporate him into the system while also win games. Sacramento doesn't care about winning games. Instead they want Buddy to just shoot and shoot some more. Win or lose. This is why his TOV% is so much higher in Sac (9% vs 15.2%). They are giving him the ball and saying, go play.

Let's also not forget that Buddy was on an upward trajectory with us all season. He shot 48% and 42% from 3pt with us in the months of December and January. Was Gentry somehow the reason for him shooting so well then also? The only thing that changed is while Buddy was inconsistent with us, in his short time with Sac he has been more consistent. All his other numbers are exactly in line with what they were here. He actually posted almost all of his highest %s of the year HERE.

None of this is any indictment of Gentry as a coach. It's all a small sample size with a guy struggling with a knee injury and a rookie brand new to the NBA.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-28-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    ahem

I've watched all his games here and about 2/3rds of his games in Sac, there is a notable shift in how he is playing there.

You are right they were trying to win games, but in that process they ultimately ended up misusing him. Buddy was often getting the Byron Scott treatment, you make a couple mistakes and you are out for most the game. But Hield has always been a rhythm guy. He can have two or three bad shot attempts and then he will go off for 6-7 and change the course of a game. Just look at some of his recent performances where he scored 6 points in like 5 seconds and put the Kings in a position to steal a win.

But I am also someone that thinks the Kings have the superior coach.

Banned
    Will Alvin Gentry get a Pink Slip ?
    Not if but When ?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Will Alvin Gentry get a Pink Slip ?
    Not if but When ?
    I just realized it is Holy Thursday so Tom&Gayle may not do the pink slips today.

Gentry still doesn't think he needs to change his gameplan to involve Demarcus game.

1-6

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    So when is Gentry getting fired?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    So when is Gentry getting fired?
    If we are going by the "Chain of command" we have to wait till after the NFL draft for Loomis assessment. See Minty firing.

Banned
    Guys watching the playoffs reminds me why we are not playing.
    Alvin Gentry has had Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, AD and Jrue Holiday on the floor together.
    Yet he couldn't make it work. When we got D.C.with Jrue and AD again it didn't work smoothly.
    We have 2 years left with AD. 1 year with D.C. I truly believe D.C. will walk if we can't get 50 wins in 2017-2018 season.
    I think we need to move in a different direction for sure.

Every time I read the title of this thread I think it would be a great name of a bad 90s dance move.

The Franchise
    Alvin Gentry has had Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, AD and Jrue Holiday on the floor together.
    Yet he couldn't make it work. When we got D.C.with Jrue and AD again it didn't work smoothly.
    We have 2 years left with AD. 1 year with D.C. I truly believe D.C. will walk if we can't get 50 wins in 2017-2018 season.
    Cousins already lost 30 mil when he was traded. The Pels can pay him about $20 mil more than any other team, plus he gets to play with Davis. He's not going anywhere.

Didn't work smoothly with DC, Jrue and AD? How many practices did they have? Those first few games were the practices. Can't see how it was supposed to be a finely tuned machine from the get go.

If we don't get rid of Gentry. I'm probably gonna vote with my money and not support the Pelicans.Stay home. Sucks, but I don't see any value in a coach that starts off the season 1-11 and and 0-8( Got to 7-17 at one point). Would rather start fresh than have to dog our way to the 7/8th seed after another bad start. Gentry isn't a good coach.

Banned
    I keep getting dings on my Pelicans app but nothing of pure substance like What's Up with Alvin Gentry future here in Nola ?
    I know the phone lines are burning up at the Pelicans office wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by eballa1 View Post
    Didn't work smoothly with DC, Jrue and AD? How many practices did they have? Those first few games were the practices. Can't see how it was supposed to be a finely tuned machine from the get go.
    It doesn't matter how many practices they have together. The idea of having bigs beyond the 3pt line will always fail. This system is for small ball only. The bigs need to be on the block period, with high/low game (see San Antonio and Memphis). The talent of AD and DC together needs to be exploited at the expense of smaller teams.
    Last edited by sterlr; 04-20-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Thread Information