Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Lauscha promising changes in future?

Pelicans Dennis Lauscha promising changes in future?

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...407a8cff3.html

But smash-cut to today, and the Pelicans are not only staring up from the bottom quarter of the NBA standings but also trying to gain a grip on the New Orleans public, which has wandered off amid disappointing results.

“It’s hard to watch sometimes,” Pelicans fan Jay Landry said Wednesday. “I know everything was supposed to be better with (DeMarcus Cousins) here, but it’s hard to come here and watch the team lose all of the time.”

And the franchise, which has won just one playoff series since arriving in New Orleans 15 years ago, is keenly aware that support starts on the scoreboard.

“We’re not winning,” Lauscha said in early February. “We’re not oblivious to what’s happening. Our expectation has always been to be in the playoffs and win championships. That’s the expectation. We aren’t meeting that expectation, and we understand our fans aren’t happy. Hell, we aren’t happy.

“We have 125 people who work on the staff of the New Orleans Pelicans, and they aren’t happy. They are real people who go out in the world and hear what people say. They know what’s going on. We aren’t happy and accepting of this. We are trying to improve as best we can.”

Still, Lauscha said the team is distributing more than 16,000 tickets per game, which is nearly 95 percent of the Smoothie King Center’s official capacity. Vice president of ticket sales Mike Stanfield said the team is among the NBA leaders in group sales as well.

But those no-shows, occasionally creating completely empty sections, are impossible to ignore.

“What we have to ask is, ‘Why aren’t people showing up?’ ” Lauscha said. “I’m not naïve to think it’s because the on-court performance isn’t what it needs to be. We are not blind to that. We talk about how we can improve that.”
    “It’s a perception they just can’t escape,” said Gus Kattengell, who hosts "The Sports Hangover" radio show on 100.3-FM. “We have so many callers who always say if (ownership) cared half as much about the Pelicans as the football team, then imagine what the basketball team would look like. Perception becomes reality sometimes, and a whole lot of fans just think that it’s a fact the Pelicans are second in line over there.”

The most cited example, Kattengell said, is the uncertain role of Mickey Loomis, who serves as head of basketball operations for the Pelicans and executive vice president/general manger of the Saints. Neither Lauscha nor Pelicans general manager Dell Demps wanted to speak for Loomis when asked precisely what Loomis’ role is on the basketball side, and Lauscha directed several questions about the oversight of the on-court product to Loomis.

Well this article has me a little upbeat
    Last edited by Champ; 03-12-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Gentry is the worst coach I've ever seen. I am 100% certain that he only won games off of shear talent. Meanwhile I don't know wth dell is doing either. Frustrating times.
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Gentry is the worst coach I've ever seen. I am 100% certain that he only won games off of shear talent. Meanwhile I don't know wth dell is doing either. Frustrating times.
    Byron Scott was much worse

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Byron Scott got us to he second round of playoffs. That is more than what Gentry has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Byron Scott got us to he second round of playoffs. That is more than what Gentry has done.
    He was here longer wasn't he? I did boo him in the arena quite a few times back in the day

How was he worse? The team won a playoff series and took the Spurs to a game 7. Plus got a 2nd seed when NOBODY predicted they would. Even during the season everyone predicted they would fall to 6th or 7th.

Byron Scott was "much worse"???

He was here longer wasn't he? I did boo him in the arena quite a few times back in the day
    And when Scott was fired, CP3 wanted out. Those two got along really well.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...ck_by_new.html

The boos have been much louder for Gentry than they have for Byron.
    Last edited by Champ; 03-12-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Both Gentry and Byron Scott only won games off of shear talent. They are both poor at developing players and they need HOF players especially at point guard in order to succeed.

Byron Scott made it to the NBA Finals with Jason Kidd while Gentry made it to the WCF with Steve Nash. Both coaches have to have a darn near perfect roster in order to have success.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    The ineptitude of this franchise has caused me to not give a damn about something I used to love.

I hope changes do happen, top down, not just with Gentry, but with everyone running BBall operations for this Mickey Mouse organization.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Gentry just doesn't have a clue what to do with a big team. We need a guy who can use our size to create mismatches down low that the players respect.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    The ineptitude of this franchise has caused me to not give a damn about something I used to love.

I know it may not be major but the music in the Arena is dated I feel like we been using the same tracks since CP3 was here we need something thats up to date and gets the fans hyped like the Saints have key songs they play to get the Fans into it just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by strictfamjay View Post
    I know it may not be major but the music in the Arena is dated I feel like we been using the same tracks since CP3 was here we need something thats up to date and gets the fans hyped like the Saints have key songs they play to get the Fans into it just my opinion
    Honestly if any you guys have a twitter, I was thinking and hoping with the help of MM, and other BSS writers that maybe we can start a hashtag or movement to get better updated entertainment, including music, traditions, and half time shows. Mostly music though, with new Orleans, marketing should be the easiest thing possible smh.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Yes I think that woukd be a great idea we just need to change the culture and vibe in the Arena paired with some WINS we should be ok going forward

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    please please please please please fire Gentry. tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Byron Scott made it to the NBA Finals with Jason Kidd while Gentry made it to the WCF with Steve Nash. Both coaches have to have a darn near perfect roster in order to have success.
    To be fair, though.....has there ever been a Final contender that didn't have talent? Hahaha.

Don't count on Lauscha doing anything. He and Loomis are so close that there is no accountability.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Don't count on Lauscha doing anything. He and Loomis are so close that there is no accountability.
    Squirrels with sight disabilities and nuts.

Eventually, they're going to do something good on accident.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    To be fair, though.....has there ever been a Final contender that didn't have talent? Hahaha.
    I was going to say it. By this metric Phil Jackson must be absolute trash.

But who cares anymore.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Gentry is going to get fired. He has to go. He's not a terrible coach, he's forcing his system on the team. He's got to be more hands on like Monty. Monty was definitely a better coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get rid of the dummy for Jeff Van Gundy
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Get rid of the dummy for Jeff Van Gundy

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post

Thread Information