Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TBW endorses Becky Hammon to replace Gentry!

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    This is hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    If she gets the job it should be because she is a great coach and not because she is a woman
    Do a google search and most agree she is a smart coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    The thing is, there will be more qualified or equally qualified head coaching candidates available. While surely she is a smart and capable basketball strategist and NBA assistant and summer league coach, it seems like it would be kind of a publicity stunt just for the sake of hiring the first female head coach in the professional men's league.
    Your last sentence doesn't follow from the one before it. Surely she is smart and capable and experienced, etc, as you say.... so, why do you need to peg it as a publicity stunt? It will get tons of publicity when the time comes and some team actually does hire her, but that doesn't automatically make publicity the motivation.

No.

Too risky a hire when Boogie can become a UFA the following summer. Need someone proven. At least Messina has years of head coaching Euro experience under his belt. Becky would be a complete gamble and we're not a team who can make such a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    So we're going to act like her gender wouldn't be a factor? First female head coach ever and her gender wouldn't matter?
    It's a factor alright. Unlike the "race" illusion there are clear factors that separate men and women, obviously. But it shouldn't be the #1 factor and most definitely not the deciding one.

What matters most is her ability to motivate grown men and coach. Her basketball acumen. You know, same stuff you evaluate any coach.

From my own personal experience the results have been mixed, as one would expect since all individuals are different. I had one female supervisor in a high testosterone, fast moving factory environment waay back in the day. Things didn't go well with her as a lead. Why? She over compensated. This might have been expected since she was the... "butch" type? With a military background on top. A person ended up being injured due to her overzealousness to prove to not only be one of the guys, but a tough guy at that. Plus the inability to understand there a different laws among the civilian workforce.

So, for reasons like the above, you do factor in gender, but it's very tertiary.
    Last edited by luckyman; 03-10-2017 at 01:23 PM.

If she can coach, she can coach. Plenty of guys have gotten head coaching jobs even though they aren't the best person for the job (we call them retreads...like Gentry, Scott, Del Harris, etc.), but they get the job because they are part of a fraternity of NBA coaches.

If she has the coaching skills, and if she can show a solid power point presentation, you give her the job (if she is the best candidate).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Her name has also come up in Baton Rouge(LSU).

if she can help us win im all for it

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    So we're going to act like her gender wouldn't be a factor? First female head coach ever and her gender wouldn't matter?
    It would be a factor, possibly helping galvanize the team behind their coach in support.

No, not when we have two HOF players and need to win now. She is unproven, and we shouldn't take the gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    No, not when we have two HOF players and need to win now. She is unproven, and we shouldn't take the gamble.
    Oh the unproven argument. Love it when they said this about Tyronn Lue, Quinn Snyder, Brad Stevens, Eric Spolstra etc..

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The problem is who is proven to be a winner that would be available?

Not a chance like as in 0.

The Franchise    Contributor   

I think 'can a woman coach male NBA players' and 'can she coach the Pelicans' are two different things. Ultimately I believe a woman can and will coach in the NBA, and she is certainly the odds on favorite to break that barrier. Wherever it happens, players are going to test boundaries, because players test coach's boundaries regardless of men or women. And when it's the 1st female coach, there needs to be a strong organizational support structure. Does that sound like us? Basically, if Pop leaves the Spurs bench for a solely front office job and she takes over coaching, I have no doubt she'd succeed. But if she moved to NOLA, let's just say I'm less confident it will work out...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    I think 'can a woman coach male NBA players' and 'can she coach the Pelicans' are two different things. Ultimately I believe a woman can and will coach in the NBA, and she is certainly the odds on favorite to break that barrier. Wherever it happens, players are going to test boundaries, because players test coach's boundaries regardless of men or women. And when it's the 1st female coach, there needs to be a strong organizational support structure. Does that sound like us? Basically, if Pop leaves the Spurs bench for a solely front office job and she takes over coaching, I have no doubt she'd succeed. But if she moved to NOLA, let's just say I'm less confident it will work out...
    This is a very good post

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    I was about to post basically this same thing. I would love to see a woman like Hammon who has earned the right get a shot in the NBA. Regrettably, I think we are not the right team at the moment for that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkaholic View Post
    I was about to post basically this same thing. I would love to see a woman like Hammon who has earned the right get a shot in the NBA. Regrettably, I think we are not the right team at the moment for that shot.
    Good point. Someone PM'ed me the harsh reality unless there is a buyout we may be stuck at staring at Gentry another year.

Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Good point. Someone PM'ed me the harsh reality unless there is a buyout we may be stuck at staring at Gentry another year.
    Yeah, I would be quite upset but not the slightest bit surprised if we stuck with Gentry. The management of this franchise appears completely incapable of looking down the road in any meaningful way.

Thread Information