Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "You don't have to worry about defense if you don't play any" GAME THREAD vs. OKCUPID

"You don't have to worry about defense if you don't play any" GAME THREAD vs. OKCUPID

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking-man-meme.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	6260

Crazy how the Pels are the 9th ranked defense but they don't play any

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    That's why saying we are 9th because we are 9th in rating means nothing when you play up tempo.

We are 22nd in points allowed per game at 106.7 and we are 21st in points scored at 102.9, meaning we will lose more than we will win.

Just want to add there are only 3 teams allowing less than 100 per game, the Jazz, Spurs and Grizzlies. All three of these are top 4 in rating also.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 02-26-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    That's why saying we are 9th because we are 9th in rating means nothing when you play up tempo.

We are 22nd in points allowed per game at 106.7 and we are 21st in points scored at 102.9, meaning we will lose more than we will win.

Just want to add there are only 3 teams allowing less than 100 per game, the Jazz, Spurs and Grizzlies. All three of these are top 4 in rating also.

3 playoff teams right now...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    3 playoff teams right now...
    The number 2 team in def rating is the Warriors but there offense can sustain them uptempo.

They are actually only 12 in points allowed per game at 105.4 but they score 118.2 so yeah, we ain't them.

Pels are 9th in points per 100 possessions, not per game.

I would argue that defensive ratings are even more enlightening in the defensive evaluation of higher pace teams, because playing at a faster pace results in a higher number of possessions for the opponent as well. More possessions equate to more opportunities to score. Our inability to score isn't a byproduct of pace, but a lack of offensive efficiency, where we're ranked 27th, despite playing at the 9th fastest pace.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    I would argue that defensive ratings are even more enlightening in the defensive evaluation of higher pace teams, because playing at a faster pace results in a higher number of possessions for the opponent as well. More possessions equate to more opportunities to score. Our inability to score isn't a byproduct of pace, but a lack of offensive efficiency, where we're ranked 27th, despite playing at the 9th fastest pace.
    I completely agree, which I think is why you see most teams with high defensive ratings playing at a slower pace like the Spurs, Jazz and Grizz. They want to limit the opponents number of possessions. Which is what we should be doing. The problem for us is that we suck at making open shots and until that gets fixed we won't win many games either way. The benefit of playing slower would allow more of the possessions to be run through AD or Boogie.

AHHHH, why can't we have a coach that adjusts to the roster's strengths? Or maybe we do and we just suck.

Moore needs to step up as well as Hill.

We're not a bad defensive team. We give up a lot of points because we afford the opponent a higher number of possessions. We afford the opponent a higher number of possessions because we play at a faster pace. When we play at a faster pace, we score inefficiently. And when you score inefficiently, you obviously score fewer points per game. I agree we need to slow down. But our need to slow down isn't a reflection of our inability to defend. It's due to the non-existence of perimeter players who can shoot and create their own shots.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-26-2017 at 04:33 PM.

I saw the new guy, (Thompson?) go 1 on 3 on a fast break yesterday and brick the layup. I could only cringe and think--"who teh **** you think you are? Lebron?"

I can only suppose our coaches encourage that stupidity since it's happened many times already.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    We're not a bad defensive team. We give up a lot of points because we afford the opponent a higher number of possessions. We afford the opponent a higher number of possessions because we play at a faster pace. When we play at a faster pace, we score inefficiently. And when you score inefficiently, you obviously score fewer points per game. I agree we need to slow down. But our need to slow down isn't a reflection of our inability to defend. It's due to the non-existence of perimeter players who can shoot and create their own shots.
    Our need to slow down is because we suck on offense and because we are good on defense. But I think we are all on the same page with that.

Our need to slow down is because we suck on offense and because we are good on defense. But I think we are all on the same page with that.
    Seems that way.

Defensive rating literally accounts for tempo. It's points per 100 possessions. If every team played 100 possessions, Pels would be ranked 9th.

Points per game literally has no value when discussing a team. We lose more than we win because our offense is a bottom 5 offense. It has nothing to do with defense. It's 2017, stop using per game stats.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Pels are essentially a new squad. Old stats are nice but mostly inapplicable to predicting the rest of the season, imo atleast.
    @DanielVeuleman

Moore is back. Gentry, thinking his first name is Klay, will be starting Thompson instead

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    Moore is back. Gentry, thinking his first name is Klay, will be starting Thompson instead
    I chuckled

DMo's not playing again, because Gentry doesn't know where to put him, or because all DMo's shots from all distances are short? I'm fine either way, neither of them gonna be here next fall.

Let's see how much Adams gets into Boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate T.Jones! View Post
    DMo's not playing again, because Gentry doesn't know where to put him, or because all DMo's shots from all distances are short? I'm fine either way, neither of them gonna be here next fall.

And that's why I particularly hate starting Hollis Thompson when Moore is active.

Defensive rating literally accounts for tempo. It's points per 100 possessions. If every team played 100 possessions, Pels would be ranked 9th.

Points per game literally has no value when discussing a team. We lose more than we win because our offense is a bottom 5 offense. It has nothing to do with defense. It's 2017, stop using per game stats.
    I understand that rating accounts for tempo and is pace adjusted. I disagree that points per game has no value. The value comes in that fact that every team plays at a different pace and there is no way to know which team will play at the pace they prefer in a given game. The best teams impose their pace on the other team. This is more pronounced when a slower pace team plays a faster pace team. Who wins the fight to control the pace?

The crux of my thoughts on this are that the ratings would change for a given team if that particular team played at a different tempo. I would argue that the Pelicans might be able to be more efficient offensively if we limit possessions instead of pushing the ball. We may never know unless Gentry is let go. I look at the per game scoring stats because it shows how much we average per game and specifically 'not' because it is pace adjusted. I feel like something is lost when averaging everything together to get a single figure like the ratings. Each game is not played at the same tempo.

I am probably wrong and I don't try to impose this thinking on anyone, I just think ignoring a non-advanced stat like PPG is foolhardy. After all, you have to score more to win regardless of everything else. The games are not adjusted for tempo.

Can we be more efficient with a slower tempo? I would bet we could on both ends of the floor.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 02-26-2017 at 06:01 PM.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I Hate T.Jones! View Post
    Your name feels out of place now

Jrue back at it with the turnovers

Cousins suspended for Wednesday

Unless the technical is rescinded before then

That tech should get rescinded.

Already had 3 rescinded this yr.

Thread Information