Pelicans Report

Thread: Free Agency and the Draft

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Free Agency and the Draft

I am curious if any of y'all think we can get one of these players in free agency:

Gordon Hayward
    Jrue Holiday
    George Hill
    Jeff Teague
    Patty Mills
    Kyle Lowry
    Gallinari SF from Denver
    Langston Galloway

If I was Demps I would try to sign Gordon Hayward or Holiday. If we could sign Holiday and Patty Mills I would consider FA to be a success.

Is it possible to sign Holiday and a starting SF who can shoot? How much will Gallinari cost?

I think to win a championship we will need to bring Holiday back and sign a starting SF or SG who is a great shooter. I also like the possibility of bringing Jarrett Jack back or Galloway.

The draft is loaded but all we have is one second round pick. You never know. We could get lucky and get a top 3 pick or luck out and get a good player in the 2nd round.

What direction would y'all take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's highly unlikely we get anyone decent for North of 20 mill other than Jrue. I'd focus on getting vets with lots of playoff experience for cheap and dumping our bad salary. Even giving up a lightly protected 2021 pick to a team like brooklyn would be worth it if they took Asik AND Hill. Find guys who can shoot off the scrap heap and out the d league. Those guys are out there, we've been seeing other teams snatch them up for awhile now. Fill in around cousins and AD with guys like that and resign jrue or sign a backup pg to a tradable contract that way u leave capspace for another guy to come here in 2019 if Cousins resigns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    I think Jrue is a must. His versatility to play and guard multiple positions is a must especially in Ermans defense. The other 2 wings or PG and SF need to be athletic, run and gun shooters. Hayward fits but doubt we could get him and Gallinari to me is more of a 4 now.

I think with Jrue, cousins, and Davis taking most of the cap, we need to get young players with upside on cheap contracts.

Still holding out hope for the playoffs but if we don't get there we need a top 3 pick. I think both ways would get us better faster.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I hope Jrue really likes Philly cheesesteaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any plan that doesn't include dumping Demps and Gentry is a failed plan.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Basketball Guru
    do all these players yall suggesting also go with the new coach if gentry is fired?

If we didnt resign jrue, and stretched asik, could we afford hayward?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    If we didnt resign jrue, and stretched asik, could we afford hayward?
    If we stretched asik and let Jrue walk, we would still have to dump Ajinca and Pondexter, plus allow every other free agent to walk. At that point we would be about $800,000 short of a max deal for hayward. We would have to trade asik instead of stretching him.

By the way, this idea of stretching asik is ludicrous. I know a lot of people keep saying it, but it's not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cmariaou View Post
    By the way, this idea of stretching asik is ludicrous. I know a lot of people keep saying it, but it's not gonna happen.
    It's totally ludicrous. It's mentioned in every other post it seems like. Honestly, it'd be more realistic to flat out release him and take the hit.

Wonder if hayward or lowry would take a paycut to play with davis and cousins

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Wonder if hayward or lowry would take a paycut to play with davis and cousins
    Absolutely not.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

What was the protection of the 1st we sent to SAC?

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    What was the protection of the 1st we sent to SAC?
    Top 3 this year

trade Asik and a future one to dump him if we are really going to go all in on Cousins and AD together. But I don't think we do that until we see if Cousins resigns.

We have a SG and SF who played over 60minutes total and scored total of 14pts. Once again stuck in neutral for another year.

What about someone like Caldwell-pope at sg. He's having a decent year from 3...but doesn't rebound or assist to well.

Quote Originally Posted by glepurple View Post
    What about someone like Caldwell-pope at sg. He's having a decent year from 3...but doesn't rebound or assist to well.
    He's a RFA. Detroit isn't going to let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    He's a RFA. Detroit isn't going to let him walk.
    Didn't know that...I was looking at the list of free agent sg and I don't see many worth picking up. I think at best we get shooters to add to our bench unless dell packages a pick in a trade.

What do you think it would take to get Hezonja from ORL? I don't think he getting many mins behind Fournier. I wouldn't mind trying to develop him into our starting 2/3.

All-Star
    Impossible to sign one of the players of the first post. Galloway again? :/

Say we win the lottery...

Do you:

draft Jackson and re-sign Jrue

or

draft one of the PGs (Fultz, Ball, Smith) and let Jrue hit FA

Quote Originally Posted by bustahyndes View Post
    Say we win the lottery...

Do you:

draft Jackson and re-sign Jrue

or

draft one of the PGs (Fultz, Ball, Smith) and let Jrue hit FA
    Trade the pick for a star like Jimmy Butler and re-sign Jrue.

Cousins/
    Davis/

Butler
    Holiday/

Wow

Draft ball because it would take another first rounder for butler.

The Franchise
    The only problem I have with butler or Paul George is they aren't good three point shooters. I won't be opposed to them but not sure the fit is there. If we fall in the top 3, I'd draft anyone and resign Jrue. The only way I move the pick is for good players and ALSO moving Asiks contract.

It's neither FA or draft, but Victor Oladipo could be a realistic option this summer.
    Thunder is in danger of getting into LT next season and staying there for a few years, so they have to slash salary this summer or face huge bill for a team, that has 2nd round as a ceiling
    Oladipo is only at .354 from 3, which is a slight uptick from .348 compared to previous season, but the true story is his attempts got really bumped from 3.9 attempts to 5.4 in the same 33 minutes of play.
    Even better is this:
    season--shooting from 10-16--shooting from 16 out to 3--shooting 3s from corners
    15-16------.402------------------.435-----------------------.405
    16-17------.481------------------.452-----------------------.451
    Oladipo is almost there as a shooter. Looking at his progress, you know you have a hard worker as well.
    Pels would also get a secondary playmaker and a good defensive player.

There is $21m price tag on him, but it's flat for all 4 years of his rookie extension, and Pels will be getting legitimate 3rd option, who is 25 y.o. and about to have no weaknesses.

As for potential deal Pels' offer will have to be something like Moore(Oladipo replacement), QPon and Ajinca as salary, 2018 1st as a sweetener for sure, which realistically leaves only 2020 1-rounder and Diallo as assets with decent value. Will that 1st be enough or Pels would have to bottom out their resource pool?

I guess, OKC can always dump Singler's $5m deal using their 1-rounder and delay their money problem for a year.

Thread Information