Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Problem is Alvin Gentry

All-Star
    Alvin Gentry is a joke.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IVICP3 View Post
    Alvin Gentry is a joke.
    Yes That ! Should we consider Patrick Ewing ? Who better to understand Low posters & Defense . Been an assistant coach for years.

Mark Jackson.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Yes That ! Should we consider Patrick Ewing ? Who better to understand Low posters & Defense . Been an assistant coach for years.
    Maybe no, but i'm bored with the bad decisions and awful rotations of Gentry. This team hasn't improved nothing from last year when Gentry took the players. No progress, no wins ---> Fire Gentry. Simply.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    So, we bring in Cousins, give burn to 2 guys on 10 day contracts, were minus another starter for personal reasons, and the reason we lost was Alvin Gentry!? Oy Vey!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    On a side point, since I think you are joking but it has bothered me nonetheless, does anyone honestly think Cousins is a better three point shooter then Hield?

That stat, "Cousins has made more three pointers then Hield," may be the most misleading stat I have heard regurgitated all year. And commentators that parrot it without correctly pointing out how misleading that stat is, I have lost a good bit of respect for.

Cousins has also made more three pointers then Danny Green and Chris Paul, but if I have to rank who I want taking a three, Cousins is coming in last place in that fight. Just because you took 30 more attempts then somebody else and eeked out 6 more made shots from that, does not make you a mechanically superior shooter.
    The point was that he has taken a large amount of 3s and is hitting them at the rate a guard would hit them. It's not like he has shot 7 all season. He's taken more than Hield and all those players you mentioned.

At the current rate he his hitting them I have ZERO issue with him taking them.

The Franchise
    Our top 3 played well in Dallas. Cousins is a rebounding fool for us, he just needs a little more time to get into our offense. When he gets the ball in the low post he either needs to move before the double team comes or know where to go with the ball when it does come. I also like how much we are getting to the line we just had a bad day. Turnover and Jrue having a bad day killed us against the rockets and turnovers and poor free throw shooting got us in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Boogie looked wore out running up and down the floor. The refs were a huge issue too. He was getting arm-barred and popped all game.
    Nah man, he's the one instigating

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    So, we bring in Cousins, give burn to 2 guys on 10 day contracts, were minus another starter for personal reasons, and the reason we lost was Alvin Gentry!? Oy Vey!!!!!
    Injuries or not, Gentry is still horrible at putting his players in a position to succeed. He has no idea how to utilize his players to their strengths.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    In the modern NBA, if you shoot 35% or better from 3 and you're open, you take the shot. Boogie wasn't shooting 3s early in the shot clock and I'm pretty sure all of his shots were good looks.

Were the folks complaining about Boogie's 3s complaining in the 1st Qtr, or did it only become a problem when he was taking those same shots and missing in the 2nd half?

I don't know whether Alvin Gentry is the right coach for this team. 2 games and 2 or 3 practices in, I don't know how anyone could know. Is it really necessary we have multiple "Alvin Gentry is the Problem" threads?!? We all know Dell and the organization is going to do the smart thing (like we should) and evaluate this coaching 23 games from now. And unless they don't show progress, I think you give Alvin an offseason to work with these guys and his staff. But good organization have this conversation in the offseason, not 2 games after the All Star break and into an on the fly retooling.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    In the modern NBA, if you shoot 35% or better from 3 and you're open, you take the shot. Boogie wasn't shooting 3s early in the shot clock and I'm pretty sure all of his shots were good looks.

Were the folks complaining about Boogie's 3s complaining in the 1st Qtr, or did it only become a problem when he was taking those same shots and missing in the 2nd half?

I don't know whether Alvin Gentry is the right coach for this team. 2 games and 2 or 3 practices in, I don't know how anyone could know. Is it really necessary we have multiple "Alvin Gentry is the Problem" threads?!? We all know Dell and the organization is going to do the smart thing (like we should) and evaluate this coaching 23 games from now. And unless they don't show progress, I think you give Alvin an offseason to work with these guys and his staff. But good organization have this conversation in the offseason, not 2 games after the All Star break and into an on the fly retooling.

i believe gentry will get his shot to improve this team next season with a decent supporting cast around the bigs.....we are fighting for a playoff spot before the trade so next season gentry has to make the playoffs or he has to go because he would not have improved off of this season with AD and boogie......

I really believe that if we would have traded for okafor then that team would have made the playoffs because we would still have reke, buddy, galloway and jones along with okafor but getting boogie we loss our firepower with the 4 players gone now and imo we cant replace the production we loss this season so im not thinking about the playoffs and just excited about next season......now i do need to see gentry use the bigs more inside in these 23 games left and thats why im waiting for the GS game because ive seen with my 2 eyes how memphis and OKC use their bigs to deal with GS and its successful against them and if AD and boogie are not used inside against them next month then yeah gentry has to go this year lol

Basketball Guru
    On a side point, since I think you are joking but it has bothered me nonetheless, does anyone honestly think Cousins is a better three point shooter then Hield?

That stat, "Cousins has made more three pointers then Hield," may be the most misleading stat I have heard regurgitated all year. And commentators that parrot it without correctly pointing out how misleading that stat is, I have lost a good bit of respect for.

Cousins has also made more three pointers then Danny Green and Chris Paul, but if I have to rank who I want taking a three, Cousins is coming in last place in that fight. Just because you took 30 more attempts then somebody else and eeked out 6 more made shots from that, does not make you a mechanically superior shooter.

lol...dude you are one of the main 3 or 4 posters on here that throw stats in people face to prove your argument as gospel but now you want to say boogie stats are misleading and dont have respect for it.....the facts are that boogie is shooting 3s at some guards pace and is making them like some guards....if it comes down to boogie shooting a 3 to win a game and miss it,,i wont be mad at it........

now buddy is with the kings now so he should get more shots up with them so buddy should put up a minimum of 3 3s a game so thats 69 3s buddy should have at the end of this season with the kings....so at the end of the season if buddy has more 3 attempts and made then boogie in 25 games after the trade then you cant come on here and use that stat to prove that buddy is better than boogie at shooting 3s because its misleading by your own words......

i always say to posters like you that stats dont tell the whole truth but yall use them as a tell all when they benefit you.....

People used advanced stats to justify Asik at 10m a year.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    lol...dude you are one of the main 3 or 4 posters on here that throw stats in people face to prove your argument as gospel but now you want to say boogie stats are misleading and dont have respect for it.....the facts are that boogie is shooting 3s at some guards pace and is making them like some guards....if it comes down to boogie shooting a 3 to win a game and miss it,,i wont be mad at it........

now buddy is with the kings now so he should get more shots up with them so buddy should put up a minimum of 3 3s a game so thats 69 3s buddy should have at the end of this season with the kings....so at the end of the season if buddy has more 3 attempts and made then boogie in 25 games after the trade then you cant come on here and use that stat to prove that buddy is better than boogie at shooting 3s because its misleading by your own words......

i always say to posters like you that stats dont tell the whole truth but yall use them as a tell all when they benefit you.....
    You are basically proving the point I was making to that poster. Number of made shots does not mean a player is a more efficient or a better shooter. Context matters and that is true in all stats. The parroting of that cherry picked stat without context is what I took issue with.

Boogie is great for his position and shoots at a respectable enough clip you want him taking open threes. That was never in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Monty didn't adjust to anything. He just got a lot out of a little. But he wasn't going to take us to the top of the league.

Those Monty teams would go through long stretches with AD on the floor where no one is passing him the ball. At all.

His rotations were questionable. And are we forgetting how stagnant THOSE offenses were? I mean, at least Gentry gets our player's open looks. They just aren't capable of knocking them down.
    They get open looks away from the basket because they can't shoot. Defenses want us to try to shoot mid-range, because we can't make it 6 days out of the week. That isn't Gentry.

Basketball Guru
    You are basically proving the point I was making to that poster. Number of made shots does not mean a player is a more efficient or a better shooter. Context matters and that is true in all stats. The parroting of that cherry picked stat without context is what I took issue with.

Boogie is great for his position and shoots at a respectable enough clip you want him taking open threes. That was never in question.
    i get you and just having fun with you when i said that, you dont come on here at the end of the season saying that buddy is shooting better than boogie in 3s...

Let's keep this simple: If Cousins continues to make 3s at his average this year, there should be zero issue with him taking them.

If you remove the 10 day contract people (who have extremely small sample sizes), Cousins season average would actually be 4th on our team in 3pt %.

To complain about him taking 3s is utter nonsense.

Post players are at disadvantage in today's NBA, so team must be in sync, when getting into a post play: if your big is moving towards the post perimeter guys must be ready to make an entry pass, not take a dribble or two, and then decide "ok, big fella, I can't do anything on my own, here's your ball". By that time Boogie is either fronted, so you peel off a few seconds off the clock, trying to make an entry, or every opponent knows, what's about to happen, and is ready to double-team/rotate; often both.

Cousins does initiate a lot of contact, if he has to maintain position on the block for 4-5 seconds. When he just establishes position, it happens pretty clean.
    With Kings having a lot of new personnel at the start of the season it took him some time to learn, where people are supposed to be in case double-team comes, so while he occasionally ran into 3 people early in the season, it basically went away by mid-season. Let's hope they adjust much quicker in New Orleans.

We either need a coach change or a roster change.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    We either need a coach change or a roster change.
    All we need is patience

All we need is patience
    No we don't. This isn't a reaction to how we're playing in the present. I'm confident the team will improve with more playing time and familiarity with one another. That's just common sense.

My comment, on the other hand, alludes to an evaluation of how good we can be as a team moving forward: whether Gentry can be the kind of coach that is able to maximize the talents of our team and minimize the flaws of our team as currently constructed. That, I highly doubt.

If I was handed this roster and asked to hand-pick a coach that could stretch its win potential to the absolute limits, Gentry would never enter the conversation.

Thus, either the roster needs fine-tuning to adjust to Gentry's coaching style, or Gentry needs to go altogether.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-26-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    No we don't. This isn't a reaction to how we're playing in the present. I'm confident the team will improve with more playing time and familiarity with one another. That's just common sense.

My comment, on the other hand, alludes to an evaluation of how good we can be as a team moving forward: whether Gentry can be the kind of coach that is able to maximize the talents of our team and minimize the flaws of our team as currently constructed. That, I highly doubt.

If I was handed this roster and asked to hand-pick a coach that could stretch its win potential to the absolute limits, Gentry would never enter the conversation.

Thus, either the roster needs fine-tuning to adjust to Gentry's coaching style, or Gentry needs to go altogether.
    So...

I don't know what to do with a post like this.

In order to answer your questions about Gentry, you have to be patient. You have to give Gentry a chance to go through an offseason and a training camp with this team to see if he can do exactly what you want him to do: Maximize the talent, minimize the flaws. Just because you doubt it, doesn't mean we fire Gentry. Especially since I'm not sure we know enough about fit on the court to know who an ideal coach would be. We sort of have to see it to know what this team needs.

In the real world, you can't expect Tom Benson to just pay Gentry not to coach and then issue a blank check hoping for the exact same generic thing that every team at every level in every sport is hoping for: a guy that can stretch a team's win potential to its absolute limits.

I think the roster will be adjusted in the offseason, and I think Gentry will also have an opportunity to adjust. Both of those things require patience.

Hire JVG and give him the control he wanted when we first interviewed him
    SIGN A SF

So...

I don't know what to do with a post like this.

In order to answer your questions about Gentry, you have to be patient. You have to give Gentry a chance to go through an offseason and a training camp with this team to see if he can do exactly what you want him to do: Maximize the talent, minimize the flaws. Just because you doubt it, doesn't mean we fire Gentry. Especially since I'm not sure we know enough about fit on the court to know who an ideal coach would be. We sort of have to see it to know what this team needs.

In the real world, you can't expect Tom Benson to just pay Gentry not to coach and then issue a blank check hoping for the exact same generic thing that every team at every level in every sport is hoping for: a guy that can stretch a team's win potential to its absolute limits.

I think the roster will be adjusted in the offseason, and I think Gentry will also have an opportunity to adjust. Both of those things require patience.
    That's fine in theory. But my money is that Gentry isn't going to be able to adjust his coaching philosophy of 30+ years more effectively than another coach who already preaches the type of play that our roster is better suited for. I'm not necessarily saying fire Gentry now. I'm willing to give him the rest of the season to "figure it out." What I am saying is if you're going to move forward with a roster that is better suited for one playng style, you're better off with a coach that doesn't need the luxury of adjusting to that style. Someone that can simply stick to what he knows and teaches best. And it's easy to say a coach can or should adjust to his roster. But I don't think there's but a handful of coaches that are capable of doing that. Coaches are what they teach and what they believe in. I'd rather have the coach that teaches and believes in what this type of roster can be good at it moving forward. We need to slow it down. And we don't need Coach Pop to do that. Now maybe our roster changes and this discussion becomes irrelevant. But I think if history teaches us anything, it's that Dell builds the team around his own vision, irregardless of the coach that is currently employed.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-26-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Let's keep this simple: If Cousins continues to make 3s at his average this year, there should be zero issue with him taking them.

If you remove the 10 day contract people (who have extremely small sample sizes), Cousins season average would actually be 4th on our team in 3pt %.

To complain about him taking 3s is utter nonsense.
    I think there is two separate issues here that are somewhat getting conflated.

1.) Should Cousins be taking threes period? I think pretty much everyone is in agreement he should be taking them. He is a decent shooter by any standard and for a center he is excellent. The range also opens up a lot of things offensively.

2.) Should Cousins continue being utilized the way he is by Gentry where for instance, amongst other things, he is taking half his shots from three like last game? Maybe it was an outlier performance and we will see tonight.

Im holding myself to at least a few more games before I start judging Gentry harshly(or praising him) for how he uses Cousins, but last game was a bit head scratching and I don't know if it was intentional or not.

Thread Information