Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Casspi waived, Reggie Williams signed

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    What? Gentry just said on his show the other night that Casspi wasn't just some throw in player and that we looked into trying to acquire him earlier in the season. We keep QPon, but cut Casspi? I don't understand this move at all. The guy can play IMO.
    Because Q-Pon has more trade value because of the insurance money we can use via a trade.

Pelicans

Pump the breaks here for a second.

Assuming that Dell and Omri had a a grown-man talk about the situation this move is completely irrelevant as it relates to his future with the pels. Either he wants to come back or he doesn't, nothing is changed here provided that Dell explained this reasoning.

1. we're not going to see him play again until it's far too late
    2. They saved benson cash, which based on our budget model Dell has used wisely in the past.

AND

3. we lose the 150% cap hold on cassipi's salary to create more cap flexibility in the offseason.

Folks, a simple second rounder would facilitate a sign and trade to get Omri here in exchange for Ajinca's expiring, and we have the full midlevel to use if we don't need that. Don't fly off the handle until you're sure you can see the angles. This was a move to give us a warm body on the wing for 24 games and it changed nothing.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Ridiculous move by Demps. Williams showed absolutely nothing when he was here and we give up a guy that could have a future with the team? Really? Buy out QP or Ajinca and be done with one of those dead weights.
    THIS.

Hope Demps and Gentry are gone at mid April.

You don't buy out contracts that there's a chance you can move in the summer. Period. Cutting QPon or Ajinca was not an option because they are owed money next season.

It has nothing to do with if Reggie Williams sucks or not. It's literally having a non injured player > having Omri.

With the news coming out that Moore is also out for this game (who knows for how long, it was listed as personal) I think it's clear why we had to cut Casspi.

We need more wing depth. Even including Jack and Thompson that's only 4 guards. If one gets hurt mid game we would be screwed. We HAD to cut Casspi to bring in another player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    With the news coming out that Moore is also out for this game (who knows for how long, it was listed as personal) I think it's clear why we had to cut Casspi.

We need more wing depth. Even including Jack and Thompson that's only 4 guards. If one gets hurt mid game we would be screwed. We HAD to cut Casspi to bring in another player.
    This is why I don't understand adding Galloway to that trade at all. For a trade exception that likely will never get used.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    This is why I don't understand adding Galloway to that trade at all. For a trade exception that likely will never get used.
    This

We would not know what the exact plan was because of Casspi injury.
    All we know is that Dell is clearing books. And did not wanted to risk that Galloway will opt in.

Stein mentioned yesterday that before the deadline there was interst in Casspi and Dell declined to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    We have NO idea the context of how these trades came about to say anything like this. Galloway was kept by them. We don't know if the Kings wanted him included, we have no idea if they said they'd do the trade but wanted a trade exception from us, we know NOTHING about the behind the scenes stuff. Nor do we know ANY of the future moves this team will make.

Geez this board is just full of bad hot takes lately.

We have NO idea the context of how these trades came about to say anything like this. Galloway was kept by them. We don't know if the Kings wanted him included, we have no idea if they said they'd do the trade but wanted a trade exception from us, we know NOTHING about the behind the scenes stuff. Nor do we know ANY of the future moves this team will make.

Geez this board is just full of bad hot takes lately.
    I agree the people just show their ignorance when they don't understand why Dell had to do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Dell lucked into a career saving trade. Outside of that he has been a bottom tier GM. We are not a 2 seed. If all the cards fall right we might be a 4 or 5 seed next season. Might be. The hard truth is that despite the trade, all the bad moves he has made are in the background haunting us and keeping us from being able to really add the depth and role players we need to really enter the elite class.
    This is silly. How do you know Dell lucked into a career saving trade?! Who was going to fire him? Were you going to end his career? This is nonsense! Pure nonsense. Give the man some credit for having the assets and timing necessary to jump in and steal an All NBA talent.

You speak with too much certainty about the future for which you can't possibly know anything about... unless you're Miss Cleo. Are you Miss Cleo?

I've been super critical of Dell, but you have to also give him all the credit when he pulls off an A+, franchise changing move like this one.

How does any GM or Coach walk into a depleted locker room full of guys trying to fight for a playoff spot, and tell them we're going to keep Casspi so we can have his bird rights next summer and you guys will just have to go out there and try to fight uphill while being shorthanded?

From the perspective of the team, this move makes perfect sense. From the perspective of a coach you're asking to win now and compete for a playoff spot, this move makes perfect sense. The only people this doesn't make sense to is the Armchair General Manager with a spreadsheet and a screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    This is silly. How do you know Dell lucked into a career saving trade?! Who was going to fire him? Were you going to end his career? This is nonsense! Pure nonsense. Give the man some credit for having the assets and timing necessary to jump in and steal an All NBA talent.

You speak with too much certainty about the future for which you can't possibly know anything about... unless you're Miss Cleo. Are you Miss Cleo?

I've been super critical of Dell, but you have to also give him all the credit when he pulls off an A+, franchise changing move like this one.
    The assets he had was drafting the player an owner over-valued and with a GM that is borderline incompetent, who by his own words took a worse deal because he was fearful his owner would do a 180 on wanting to trade Cousins and feared how that would play with him.

Everything else I said is absolutely true, Despite your childish, immature response. What are you 12? You can't manage a grown up conversation so you resort to personal attacks?

We are not well positioned to add anything of great value due to our dead weight money and poor roster construction outside of Davis, Cousins and maybe Jrue. Demps may defy his past but the odds are not good based on how he has managed top and mid-roster decisions. Based on what assets we actually have left. And last I checked 4-5 seed is not the worst thing in the world.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-25-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    The assets he had was drafting the player an owner over-valued and with a GM that is borderline incompetent, who by his own words took a worse deal because he was fearful his owner would do a 180 on wanting to trade Cousins and feared how that would play with him.

Everything else I said is absolutely true, Despite your childish, immature response. What are you 12? You can't manage a grown up conversation so you resort to personal attacks?

We are not well positioned to add anything of great value due to our dead weight money and poor roster construction outside of Davis, Cousins and maybe Jrue. Demps may defy his past but the odds are not good based on how he has managed top and mid-roster decisions. Based on what assets we actually have left. And last I checked 4-5 seed is not the worst thing in the world.
    Don't be so sensitive. Miss Cleo is an icon. If you asked me if I was Miss Cleo, and I was acting like I knew the future, I'd say "yup" and keep it moving.

The deal Vlade took was worse than the deal Dell originally offered him, which included a protected 2019 pick. When the agent started saying DC wouldn't resign to the team he was traded to, Dell pulled the 2019 pick and gave them a 2nd instead. It had nothing to so with him fearing his owner would do a 180.

Having three players like Jrue, DC, and Davis -all under 26 -is the definition of being well positioned. Is it the good fortune that the Warriors found themselves in by drafting Green and having Curry on a discounted deal because of his ankles? Nope. But it's as good a trio and foundation as anyone outside of the Cavs and Warriors has to build on. I never claimed this team would win the 2 seed next year, but I strongly dispute your assertion that they couldn't.

Hill and Moore are overpaid (fractionally, IMO) but could hit their stride as really competent rotation players that don't need to the ball to contribute. That's exactly what this team needs. Give it time.

I've killed Dell for the Asik move sense he made it. Killed him for the Gordon resigning from day one. Dell isn't perfect. But no GM is, outside of possibly Bob Myers.

What if Dell valued Buddy in the draft because he knew he'd be the perfect asset to use to take advantage of the Kings owner when they eventually decided to move on from Boogie?! Dell said he's been imagining pairing AD with Cousins ever since watching a Team USA practice 3 years ago!

Stretch Asik, get rid of (possibly stretch Ajinca), use insurance to unload QPon, and it's hard to say this team is in terrible shape considering it will have 2 top 10 All NBA players and a PG with All Star ability. At that point you're only looking to add role players and we'll be well equipped to add guys 5-8 in the rotation.

And for the record, I'm *slightly* older than 12.... I'm a grown man!

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Don't be so sensitive. Miss Cleo is an icon. If you asked me if I was Miss Cleo, and I was acting like I knew the future, I'd say "yup" and keep it moving.

The deal Vlade took was worse than the deal Dell originally offered him, which included a protected 2019 pick. When the agent started saying DC wouldn't resign to the team he was traded to, Dell pulled the 2019 pick and gave them a 2nd instead. It had nothing to so with him fearing his owner would do a 180.

Having three players like Jrue, DC, and Davis -all under 26 -is the definition of being well positioned. Is it the good fortune that the Warriors found themselves in by drafting Green and having Curry on a discounted deal because of his ankles? Nope. But it's as good a trio and foundation as anyone outside of the Cavs and Warriors has to build on. I never claimed this team would win the 2 seed next year, but I strongly dispute your assertion that they couldn't.

Hill and Moore are overpaid (fractionally, IMO) but could hit their stride as really competent rotation players that don't need to the ball to contribute. That's exactly what this team needs. Give it time.

I've killed Dell for the Asik move sense he made it. Killed him for the Gordon resigning from day one. Dell isn't perfect. But no GM is, outside of possibly Bob Myers.

What if Dell valued Buddy in the draft because he knew he'd be the perfect asset to use to take advantage of the Kings owner when they eventually decided to move on from Boogie?! Dell said he's been imagining pairing AD with Cousins ever since watching a Team USA practice 3 years ago!

Stretch Asik, get rid of (possibly stretch Ajinca), use insurance to unload QPon, and it's hard to say this team is in terrible shape considering it will have 2 top 10 All NBA players and a PG with All Star ability. At that point you're only looking to add role players and we'll be well equipped to add guys 5-8 in the rotation.

And for the record, I'm *slightly* older than 12.... I'm a grown man!
    Very good post!

But the Pels were stupid to cut him! This can't be!

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    But the Pels were stupid to cut him! This can't be!
    Context seems important, here. But I suppose you could say the same thing for the original move.

I think, ultimately, I would've been more okay with it should it have been for someone who wasn't Reggie Williams, who is a blatantly bad retread.
    @DanielVeuleman

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    the Hawks had a unique waver take place too... Lamar Patterson was released due to a "personal issue" just days after being signed for the remainder of the year... guess we shall see what becomes of him...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Context seems important, here. But I suppose you could say the same thing for the original move.

I think, ultimately, I would've been more okay with it should it have been for someone who wasn't Reggie Williams, who is a blatantly bad retread.
    Who we brought in is irrelevant. We needed another wing period. Williams was brought in because she played in our system earlier this year. We needed someone who could come in immediately.

Who we brought in is irrelevant. We needed another wing period. Williams was brought in because she played in our system earlier this year. We needed someone who could come in immediately.
    Did we need one? Neither Williams nor Jack played last night. Maybe just make do with Thompson and Jack and keep the option to keep Casspi this offseason over the cap?

No? Okay then.

Did we need one? Neither Williams nor Jack played last night. Maybe just make do with Thompson and Jack and keep the option to keep Casspi this offseason over the cap?

No? Okay then.
    Clearly no one in the entire league gave a crap about Casspi's *EARLY* birds rights. Yes. That's right. Not even full Birds rights.

Clearly no one in the entire league gave a crap about Casspi's *EARLY* birds rights. Yes. That's right. Not even full Birds rights.
    Like I said, context. There's a difference PR-wise between "team trades for player who immediately gets hurt but keeps him to sign next year" and "we just claimed a guy that probably won't play the rest of the year and we probably had to cut a healthy body to do it." We both know the fans like me or you would get it but the majority would scratch their heads.

Add in as well that several teams aren't concerned about being cap strapped this offseason, like we should be, and claiming Casspi (if I'm not mistaken) requires cap space as he's not on a min contract, you can maybe see a scenario where he's important to us and yet still didn't get claimed.

If not, that's fine. You completely changed the argument with your response last time and didn't touch my points so I'm ready to just agree to disagree. You're good people I've seen you post for a while around here and I respect your opinion.

Like I said, context. There's a difference PR-wise between "team trades for player who immediately gets hurt but keeps him to sign next year" and "we just claimed a guy that probably won't play the rest of the year and we probably had to cut a healthy body to do it." We both know the fans like me or you would get it but the majority would scratch their heads.

Add in as well that several teams aren't concerned about being cap strapped this offseason, like we should be, and claiming Casspi (if I'm not mistaken) requires cap space as he's not on a min contract, you can maybe see a scenario where he's important to us and yet still didn't get claimed.

If not, that's fine. You completely changed the argument with your response last time and didn't touch my points so I'm ready to just agree to disagree. You're good people I've seen you post for a while around here and I respect your opinion.
    To be clear, there is no argument on my end. I have no hate or animosity toward you.

As far as what you said last post, The fact players didn't play last game was irrelevant to me and didn't need to be addressed. But here:

It's irrelevant if he played or not. You never know when another injury will happen or a player has to miss time. Frazier is battling a wrist issue. Is he over it or simply trying to play through it? We don't know. It's much better to get a healthy guy into the system ASAP so he can get as many practices as possible, incase he is needed.

The argument to keep Casspi, while I would have been fine either way personally, is at the end of the day an extremely small and irrelevant thing. If we want Casspi this summer, we will be able to get him. If we go below the cap this summer, his Birds rights are irrelevant anyway. If we don't want Casspi this summer, his Birds rights are irrelevant. Especially when we are talking about his Early Birds rights anyway, not even his full rights.

Ultimately, you were probably right that some of us (me included) overreacted in regards to cutting Casspi. However, he felt underrated as an offensive threat and multi positional player. Just to cut him and sign Reggie Williams is a gross concept, kind of on a human level but definitely on a basketball one. Should the Pels operate under the cap and bring Casspi back this offseason, I will gladly eat my words. However, it felt like a short sighted waste of assets with a team that will really need quality role players come offseason. In my mind, you can make it by with wing depth of Moore, Frazier, Jack, Thompson, Hill, Cunningham and if you suffer another injury you can cut Omri at that point. Reggie Williams wasn't going anywhere.

Thread Information