Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lets Rank Jrue Holiday

I would not mind having Jrue play SG if we could find another PG. Having 2 capable distributors to get the ball to AD and Cousins would be great. Could also stagger playing them together while playing combos with a guard and big at most times. I really wish we could get Bledsoe who IMO would be perfect next to Jrue. Our defense would be incredible. Would give up 2 future 1st to snag him. I still believe we will have our shot at Westbrook and a very good one at that. I think we have to resign Jrue unless another star agrees this off season. If anything move him as an asset later.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I would not mind having Jrue play SG if we could find another PG. Having 2 capable distributors to get the ball to AD and Cousins would be great. Could also stagger playing them together while playing combos with a guard and big at most times. I really wish we could get Bledsoe who IMO would be perfect next to Jrue. Our defense would be incredible. Would give up 2 future 1st to snag him. I still believe we will have our shot at Westbrook and a very good one at that. I think we have to resign Jrue unless another star agrees this off season. If anything move him as an asset later.
    That's the best part about Jrue is his versatility. So find the best players you can

Resigning Jrue Holiday has to be our highest priority this offseason. We pretty much have to sign him IMO, unless someone else becomes available. Unfortunately we don't have anything to make a move for someone decent. Point guard will be extremely important for this squad led by Boogie & AD. I think we can be a contender with Jrue being our 3rd best player. I'd love to have Ricky Rubio or some other guard to start with Jrue, but don't see how to make that happen. I like Moore, but would rather see him coming off the bench. We are pretty much stuck with Solomon Hill as our small forward. I wish we could of gotten someone a tad better, but hopefully he will get better with more playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Resigning Jrue Holiday has to be our highest priority this offseason. We pretty much have to sign him IMO, unless someone else becomes available. Unfortunately we don't have anything to make a move for someone decent. Point guard will be extremely important for this squad led by Boogie & AD. I think we can be a contender with Jrue being our 3rd best player. I'd love to have Ricky Rubio or some other guard to start with Jrue, but don't see how to make that happen. I like Moore, but would rather see him coming off the bench. We are pretty much stuck with Solomon Hill as our small forward. I wish we could of gotten someone a tad better, but hopefully he will get better with more playing time.
    Well said!

Wouldn't mind, sign and trade Jrue this summer before draft or draft day, for a starting 2/3 player plus a 2017 1st round pick and pick Best perimiter player available, then sign Shaun Livingston to be our starter, with more of a shooter/playmaker PG off the bench. If Jrue does not shine and we don't make playoffs, I'd be very weary of giving Jrue anything close to a max deal. I feel most PG'S worth a damn could thrive with AD and Boogie and complementary shooters, slashes. I've always felt more pieces and especially off the bench, is better than 3 max contracts, especially when Jrue is NOT a max player.

Also, George Hill is another option and wouldn't get max money.

Quote Originally Posted by irvchilichill1 View Post
    Wouldn't mind, sign and trade Jrue this summer before draft or draft day, for a starting 2/3 player plus a 2017 1st round pick and pick Best perimiter player available, then sign Shaun Livingston to be our starter, with more of a shooter/playmaker PG off the bench. If Jrue does not shine and we don't make playoffs, I'd be very weary of giving Jrue anything close to a max deal. I feel most PG'S worth a damn could thrive with AD and Boogie and complementary shooters, slashes. I've always felt more pieces and especially off the bench, is better than 3 max contracts, especially when Jrue is NOT a max player.

Any suggestions of which teams would do such a sign and trade for a starting 2/3 player and draft pick? Also, George Hill will probably get close to the max, probably in the same range as Holiday, and he seems like a top priority for the Jazz to re-sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by irvchilichill1 View Post

Slight problem of draft being before FA. Might also wanna check the last time S&T returned a starter AND a first-rounder.

Edit: As for George Hill problem is Pels will have to clear room under the cap (well, Asik can be stretched, so maybe not that big of a problem), but then Pelicans lose full MLE to sign another guy to a contract of up to $8.4m and 4 years, while only getting $4.5m and 2 years. Plus Utah has similar problem being even more locked into Hiil due to lack of cap space, than Pels are with Jrue, so they will have to be willing to up his salary to retain him.
    Last edited by Gilles; 02-25-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Jrue has always been overrated around here and still is overrated around here.

He's not even a top 15 PG. His vision is atrocious. His play making ability also atrocious. No real feel for the game or running a team.

Here's a question for CBA guys. If we can offer a fifth year, does it have to be at the max? What I mean is if another team offers the max for 4 years, can we offer slightly less than a max deal plus a fifth year? Essentially we would offer more overall with the fifth year included but not a full max while still out bidding anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post

He's not even a top 15 PG. His vision is atrocious. His play making ability also atrocious. No real feel for the game or running a team.
    Nevermind the other end of the floor and the fact he is top 5 defensively as a PG.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Nevermind the other end of the floor and the fact he is top 5 defensively as a PG.
    Lol no he's not.

Lol no he's not.
    Okay, name the best defensive PGs ahead of Jrue.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 02-25-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Here's a question for CBA guys. If we can offer a fifth year, does it have to be at the max? What I mean is if another team offers the max for 4 years, can we offer slightly less than a max deal plus a fifth year? Essentially we would offer more overall with the fifth year included but not a full max while still out bidding anyone else?
    No, it doesn't, and for a guy with Jrue's injury history, more money even if over more years should have value.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    No, it doesn't, and for a guy with Jrue's injury history, more money even if over more years should have value.
    This is my thinking. Anyone care to throw out what a deal like this would look like?

What's the max another team can offer?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    He's top 5 defensively. We clearly have to pay him. But he's not elite offensively at all and he's inconsistent on both ends.

The best thing that could happen for this team is to luck up in the lottery and use the pick on Fultz or Ball, resign Jrue, and eventually move him off the ball. Or trade him.

People saying Jrue Holiday is a max guy are making me dislike Jrue Holiday. It's not his fault he can't playmake as a point guard, or is it? He's god awful creator. Awful. He's like the 29th worst starting PG in the league when it comes to creating for his teammates.

Not to pile into a thread as an outsider, but is his decisionmaking always like this? Because, um...you're not going to win many running around like a chicken with your head cut off. Even fewer when you're virtually the only guard on the roster who was in the NBA last month.

This.

If Frazier is playing now like he was last season, would anyone want him as Jrue's replacement? I still think everyone is overreacting about Jrue's recent play, but I was very intrigued by Frazier last year. I think he's better with an increased workload.

so you people called me a troll and a fool for stating that Dell was just trying to save his job when he paid way too much for Mr. Attitude! We're 0-2 and the team looks much worse. Guess what no playoffs and no more employment for Dell and Alvin. Total mess right now. Oh and besides wasting ALL of our first round picks other than AD Dell also left Seth Curry leave just when the kid was starting to show some promise. Is Seth great NO, is he his brother NO BUT what he is is at least as good as our guards. Boy could we have used Buddy or Evans the last 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    so you people called me a troll and a fool for stating that Dell was just trying to save his job when he paid way too much for Mr. Attitude! We're 0-2 and the team looks much worse. Guess what no playoffs and no more employment for Dell and Alvin. Total mess right now. Oh and besides wasting ALL of our first round picks other than AD Dell also left Seth Curry leave just when the kid was starting to show some promise. Is Seth great NO, is he his brother NO BUT what he is is at least as good as our guards. Boy could we have used Buddy or Evans the last 2 games.
    Yes, Dell is a putz. Yes, Alvin can't coach. But there's no way you can deny that Dell didn't fleece Sacramento hard. Dell deserves to kick his road apples, but he also deserves mad credit for pulling off that trade. That will be his claim to fame.

We have no choice, but to re-sign Jrue for the max.

This is just such a hard decision. If I was GM I wouldn't be sure what to do. Jrue is such a nice guy and has all the tools to be a great PG and like many here are saying it might be very difficult to find a better one. However sometimes it looks like he has no vision and doesn't know what to do with the ball. I would be happy with him if he got 20mil per year but 30 seems like a huge risk but Dell will probably have no choice

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    This is just such a hard decision. If I was GM I wouldn't be sure what to do. Jrue is such a nice guy and has all the tools to be a great PG and like many here are saying it might be very difficult to find a better one. However sometimes it looks like he has no vision and doesn't know what to do with the ball. I would be happy with him if he got 20mil per year but 30 seems like a huge risk but Dell will probably have no choice
    I agree. I can't remember which one, but there was a podcast recently where they were discussing whether $20m a year for Jrue would be too much. I think the national media will roast Dell if Jrue gets a max, but I agree he may have to. I just hope there actually is a real robust market that forces us to that max number, and it's not an offer Dell feels compelled to make on the 1st day of free agency. At least if we know there is a market that forces that number, we can assume Jrue will have value at that number if for some reason we're looking to trade him to go in a different direction.

This is probably the most difficult decision Dell will have to make in his Pelicans tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    He's top 5 defensively. We clearly have to pay him. But he's not elite offensively at all and he's inconsistent on both ends.

The best thing that could happen for this team is to luck up in the lottery and use the pick on Fultz or Ball, resign Jrue, and eventually move him off the ball. Or trade him.
    Westbrook, Wall, Payton, Bradley, Beverly and Rubio.
    Stats don't measure point guards. A point should be able to run the offensive system and make his teammates better.
    Holiday can't operate Gentry's point guard friendly system. Look at the difference between EG in Houston and here. It's the same system. Holiday isn't a good decision maker to be the primary go through guy.
    Dell is boxed and will sign Holiday to a near max contract.
    Last edited by durun; 02-26-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Thread Information