Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Westbrook future Pelican?

Westbrook future Pelican?

IMO we are going to be at the top of the list for Westbrook in FA. Not only do we have 2 great players in AD and Cousins but we have the 2 most complimentary players in the NBA for his skill set. There is no better fit in the NBA then right here in NOLA. He also happens to be best friends with AD and they workout/train together in the offseason. Cousins happens to be his good friend as well. What team in the NBA gives Westbrook the best chance to join and win? The Pelicans gives him the chance to build a dynasty that could 3 Peat. Most importantly what places gives him the best chance to stick it to Durant and the Warriors? The Pelicans right here in NOLA. We check off just about every box on the list when you get down to where Westbrook could go. Only thing we don't think is market but we instantly become a world wide brand if he comes here with maybe the most national televised games in the NBA. Just makes to much sense.

I hope not

Aside from any questions about whether Westbrook would sign with us or whether we could sign him, isn't he way too high use of a PG to mesh well with AD and Boogie?

He's 28 and just signed a new deal didn't he ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So will he play the 1 or 2? You know the staff REALLY wants to keep Jrue around.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaWhoDat View Post
    He's 28 and just signed a new deal didn't he ??
    And he's probably going to extend again with the new DPE this summer. OKC got Westbrook written into the CBA since he wouldn't technically have qualified for it.

I don't like westbrook if he didn't like sharing the ball with KD what makes you think he is going to do the same with AD
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

GA, I agree. If we can bring back Boogie, we are a premier location for top tier free agents. This isn't Memphis with Gasol and ZBo, this is two top 10 players, in a very attractive small market, and for guys who play 1-3 that are tired of being the go to, they have AD and Boogie to take pressure off of them. They can now go from being Chris Bosh in Toronto to being Chris Bosh in Miami with LBJ and DWade.

I am not sure how big a fish we can get, or if a guy like Westbrook would want to be in a situation where he isn't given the ball whenever he wants, but I am interested to see what big name comes to us. The hardest part in creating a Big 3 has to be getting the 2nd member, we now have that. So who wants to come in and be the 3rd guy?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    I don't like westbrook if he didn't like sharing the ball with KD what makes you think he is going to do the same with AD
    Exactly

Sharing the ball with a SF and a big is completely different. Westbrook makes it hard for teams to cover Kanter. AD and Boogie would have no problem getting their touches from Westbrook. Durant and Westbrook were great together but not an ideal fit since both need the ball in their hands to do what they do best. That's not the case for AD and Cousins. They need the ball of course but I'm a different way. I'm the biggest Holiday fan here but Westbrook is on a different level.

I think the new CBA has the "Durant" rule. Which pretty much means if he were to opt on he would have to tell OKC like now so they would have at least a chance to shop him.

Good point. Another Melo.

1) Westbrook signed an extension this past offseason and is locked up for another 2 or 3 seasons, I forget which.
    2) How are we going to have cap space to do this, as Jrue, AD, and Cousins will be vacuuming up at least 80 mil in cap space by then?
    3) We'd need a guard who can credibly play off ball and shoot. Neither of which are strengths for Russ.

Russ is great. We may now credibly be somewhat of a destination franchise depending on how these 2 work. But those two things don't mean that it's a good idea (or even a plausible one) to bring him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Good point. Another Melo.
    LoL do you watch the NBA? Westbrook is Melo? Westbrook is incredible. He has nobody to share the ball with and I believe when Durant was there he was consistenly one of the top scorers in the NBA. Also Ibaka was average 15ppg+. I wonder how that was all possible because Westbrook doesn't share.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Sharing the ball with a SF and a big is completely different. Westbrook makes it hard for teams to cover Kanter. AD and Boogie would have no problem getting their touches from Westbrook. Durant and Westbrook were great together but not an ideal fit since both need the ball in their hands to do what they do best. That's not the case for AD and Cousins. They need the ball of course but I'm a different way. I'm the biggest Holiday fan here but Westbrook is on a different level.
    Dude Kanter and Adam's barely get touches dealing with westbrook, he only passes it when he truly has to tbh...

LoL do you watch the NBA? Westbrook is Melo? Westbrook is incredible. He has nobody to share the ball with and I believe when Durant was there he was consistenly one of the top scorers in the NBA. Also Ibaka was average 15ppg+. I wonder how that was all possible because Westbrook doesn't share.
    Yea incredibly inefficient

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    1) Westbrook signed an extension this past offseason and is locked up for another 2 or 3 seasons, I forget which.
    2) How are we going to have cap space to do this, as Jrue, AD, and Cousins will be vacuuming up at least 80 mil in cap space by then?
    3) We'd need a guard who can credibly play off ball and shoot. Neither of which are strengths for Russ.

Russ is great. We may now credibly be somewhat of a destination franchise depending on how these 2 work. But those two things don't mean that it's a good idea (or even a plausible one) to bring him in.
    No he can be a FA after next season. If we want to afford him we can. You need someone to create for AD and Boogie not play off ball 3 shooter. We can put the shooters at the SG and SF position. Not like Westbrook can't hit 3s either. His % isn't great because he tries to do way more right now to win games because he's by himself. If anybody actually watches Westbrook you will see a big man is the perfect compliment to his game. We have 2 of the best so it doesn't get any better.

Yea incredibly inefficient
    LoL not even worth discussing with. Moving on

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    GA, I agree. If we can bring back Boogie, we are a premier location for top tier free agents. This isn't Memphis with Gasol and ZBo, this is two top 10 players, in a very attractive small market, and for guys who play 1-3 that are tired of being the go to, they have AD and Boogie to take pressure off of them. They can now go from being Chris Bosh in Toronto to being Chris Bosh in Miami with LBJ and DWade.

I am not sure how big a fish we can get, or if a guy like Westbrook would want to be in a situation where he isn't given the ball whenever he wants, but I am interested to see what big name comes to us. The hardest part in creating a Big 3 has to be getting the 2nd member, we now have that. So who wants to come in and be the 3rd guy?
    I completely agree that getting the 2nd player is the hardest part. This is why I have believed we should give Dell time. IMO he made a lot of moves that could have been great ones but didn't work out for unlucky reasons. He was asked to win now and he did what he was told to do. Building a great team takes time. We had to get that 2nd star to put with AD and that doesn't happen over night for a team like us. Some signings were questionable but I believe he made some to use as assets in trades. Some of those backfired because of injuries never allowing us to get any trade value. Ok confident we can land that 3rd guy if that's the route we go. Maybe we build a solid team around the big 2 instead of the 3rd star but we will see. Exciting times that's for sure.

this

Westbrook would be awesome, but I rather have Paul George if we're talking about superstars!

LoL not even worth discussing with. Moving on
    Again was he not when he had the second best player in the league?

Basketball Guru
    westbrook was a main reason why okc didnt beat GS in the regular season games because he stop giving the ball to kanter and adams towards the end of the game and tried to play hero ball..........

i dont think westbrook is built the way lebron and durant is......meaning i dont see westbrook coming here on his own because imo he seems like the kind of cat that wants to win by himself as the lead superstar and may stay in OKC or sign with the lakers......

Yea the next person I think we should go after is someone that isn't a big name but has skill perfect person for me is Hayward or someone of his caliber.

Yea the next person I think we should go after is someone that isn't a big name but has skill perfect person for me is Hayward or someone of his caliber.
    i like that idea

Thread Information