Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bad trade at least longterm

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    Well Demps did it again -- saved their jobs for another year by just kicking the ball down the field. So we give up Evans, other players, last years promising 1st round pick Buddy, our 2017 1st pick which will be a high pick and more. And we have no idea if this sometimes troublemaker will fit in or even resign with us. I know a lot will disagree but this move didn't really move us much closer than we already were cause although we rec'd a good player we gave up a lot including whomever would have been available with our 1st pick in 2017.

Totally been mismanaged by Demps. Clearly he was behind the Evans pick up via trading our pick, gave up a 1 for useless Asik, picked Rivers with our 10th pick in the first round and gave up on him, drafted a good player Buddy with the 6th lottery pick, and now nothing to show for all of theses players. Pitiful!!
    What a horribly negative, pessimistic, uninformed, unintelligent post.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    What a horribly negative, pessimistic, uninformed, unintelligent post.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Cousins is going to resign with the Pels. He just lost 30 mil with this trade. He will be giving up another 40 Mil if he doesn't sign with us. That's not going to happen.
    Why would he give up 40mil?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    we can pay him 179 mil another team can only pay him 139

Because we have his Bird's Rights we can offer a longer contract and because of the new CBA we can offer him the new DPE which no other team can. That's the deal where one player that you have Rights to can get up to 35% of the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Because we have his Bird's Rights we can offer a longer contract and because of the new CBA we can offer him the new DPE which no other team can. That's the deal where one player that you have Rights to can get up to 35% of the cap.
    We cannot offer the DPE from what I understand (only the Kings could have), but we can offer the guaranteed 5th year with higher incremental raises each year. I think it is estimated to be 4 years/$139 million from other teams and 5 years/$179 million from us.

Crazy much? You don't just trade for one of the best big men in the league. This was a great trade!! We just got a bonafide all star center with guard skills lol. I still can't believe we were able to make that deal. Thanks Vlade Divac! He is the reason we have a team here in NOLA IMO. Cause if the Hornets keep Kobe Bryant instead of trading him to the Lakers for Vlade, the Hornets more than likely don't move to NOLA lol. So I will always have a special place in my heart for Vlade Divac. And now he gave us a legit star to pair with our star Anthony Davis. I can't wait to see these guys on the court together. Now hopefully we can make a deal for a decent 2 guard. T Jones and Ajinca for some wing out there, huh Dell?? I guess you deserve another year since you made such a great move. If we don't make the 8th seed, Gentry needs to go tho!! Hell I want him to go no matter what to tell the truth!

If we want to keep AD around, we needed to make a deal like this one. Buddy Hield may turn out to be a decent player, but I don't see him becoming anything better than a Michael Redd type of player. Which isn't bad for sure, but nothing close to the type of player Boogie Cousins is IMO. I hate to see Buddy go, but to get a player like Cousins he was the only player on the roster that could possibly get it done.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 02-22-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Nah, it validates his asset-based moves (rather than talent or fit-based).
    "If all you're going on is my confession, forget it. I'm simply not credible." -Dale Gribble

You guys are showing this dude (or lady?) way too much attention. Obvious troll post.

I don't think, he's a troll. Judging the signing-on date, he's probably Buddy's fan, so he vents about his favorite player going into that dump of a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    I don't think, he's a troll. Judging the signing-on date, he's probably Buddy's fan, so he vents about his favorite player going into that dump of a situation.
    He posted once before complaining about the buddy pick - claimed to be a Tyreke fan

The only way this deal backfires is if Buddy turns into Kobe. I'll take my chances with Boogie.

I have to say...Dell has done some really dumb things over the years as GM (Especially anything to do with Asik), but this trade was 150% better than any trade he made before. We are getting an allstar, arguably top center in the league, and have the only two people in the league that averages over 25-10-1 points, rebounds, blocks. It will take time for them to learn how to play with each other, but we could end up with the best front court in the nba and maybe all time. Boogie is a risk because of his attitude sometimes, but maybe a change of scenery will help him. We can be a 4-8 seed next year if we can clear cap(Asik,Ajinca, and QPON if he can't play) this summer and pick up a couple shooters.
    Last edited by msw2024; 02-22-2017 at 12:40 PM.

I just can't believe one can't express his true opinion without being called a troll. I have followed the Pelicans since before their forced moved to OKC. I'm a huge Benson fan and was ecstatic when he bought the team. I was a fan of Monty but realized he peaked with our last playoff team. But wasn't happy with the Gentry hiring cause better were out there. And Dell hasn't proven anything to date as to a real contender. And yes I acknowledge Cousins ability but I just feel losing Evans, our 2017 1st round pick, and my favorite Buddy was just too much. You guys like the move and yes it might work out great and if so I'll be the first to admit and hope I'll have to. Was just pointing out we lost a 1 because of the terrible Asik move, lost a high 1st rd with Rivers, lost last years 1st - Buddy, and now our 2017 number one. I think my first post was quite reasonable but if people disagree I understand. A few of you made some good points that I'll reconsider but me being referred to as negative and being labelied a troll for my opinion I don't think is fair at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We cannot offer the DPE from what I understand (only the Kings could have), but we can offer the guaranteed 5th year with higher incremental raises each year. I think it is estimated to be 4 years/$139 million from other teams and 5 years/$179 million from us.
    That's possibly the case. I haven't looked at the numbers personally. Was just basing it off of media reports. But national media gets stuff wrong all the time.

Just for the record YES I am a huge Evans fan. When healthy and given minutes he's very very good. As to Buddy I was hoping when he was drafted that we would have tried to package something and move up higher. Also thought we really needed a center and was proven right on that. Anyway I came to like Buddy and always liked Evans. Both can be very good 2's. I just thought when I originally commented that we gave up too much. And BTW whatever happened to the old cliche that you want to build a team with young players via the draft?? Obviously Dell doesn't subscribe to that cause other than Davis nothing to show for that. Not looking to be a troll or even wanting anymore comments or responses. And no one not me or any of you know how this will work out longterm and I bet my bottom dollar that most that are critical of me thought Dell did great getting Asik for our lottery pick and getting Evans, and picking Buddy and so many other moves that just didn't pan out so why in the world is my opinion that we gave up too much for Cousins such a bad thinking. Had I opined about all the Demps bad moves when they occurred such as a lottery pick for Asik you people would have shot me down then too but I was right to be negative there too. Think about it I'm just being honest. Cousins might be a great fit and might even out his behavior but no one knows yet I just think we gave up too much and most of Dell's moves haven't really worked the way most initially thought. That's it. DONE.

Quote Originally Posted by specialman View Post
    I just can't believe one can't express his true opinion without being called a troll. I have followed the Pelicans since before their forced moved to OKC. I'm a huge Benson fan and was ecstatic when he bought the team. I was a fan of Monty but realized he peaked with our last playoff team. But wasn't happy with the Gentry hiring cause better were out there. And Dell hasn't proven anything to date as to a real contender. And yes I acknowledge Cousins ability but I just feel losing Evans, our 2017 1st round pick, and my favorite Buddy was just too much. You guys like the move and yes it might work out great and if so I'll be the first to admit and hope I'll have to. Was just pointing out we lost a 1 because of the terrible Asik move, lost a high 1st rd with Rivers, lost last years 1st - Buddy, and now our 2017 number one. I think my first post was quite reasonable but if people disagree I understand. A few of you made some good points that I'll reconsider but me being referred to as negative and being labelied a troll for my opinion I don't think is fair at all.
    Well at least you are not getting red thumbed. Don't take it personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Well at least are not getting red thumbed. Don't take it personal.
    why would you bump this horrible thread?

I was responding to the OP. By the way it is not as horrible as the "Fire Minty" thread.

what you smoking on bruh?? we got lucky to get cousins for a bag of lays chips. Evans is never healthy and buddy will take too much time to develop, we got a superstar big man and will put fear in anybody when we step out there with two big dogs in there prime . Do you realize who cousins is have you ever watched him play? Do you realize we needed at least a respectable center next to AD and we ended up with the BEST IN THE LEAGUE. I doubted demps but now he is GOAT
    Last edited by PelicanNation; 02-22-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Bump to the dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Slap yoself. Repeatedly.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

In all honesty, unless this team comes together quickly, we won't know how good or bad this trade is until next season. The trade is all about the picks. Buddy is a one trick pony, he can't defend and gets his drives blocked more often then not.
    Can we win with the strength of our starting 5 or will the lack of depth in the backcourt be our achilles heel? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Crazy much? You don't just trade for one of the best big men in the league. This was a great trade!! We just got a bonafide all star center with guard skills lol. I still can't believe we were able to make that deal. Thanks Vlade Divac! He is the reason we have a team here in NOLA IMO. Cause if the Hornets keep Kobe Bryant instead of trading him to the Lakers for Vlade, the Hornets more than likely don't move to NOLA lol. So I will always have a special place in my heart for Vlade Divac. And now he gave us a legit star to pair with our star Anthony Davis. I can't wait to see these guys on the court together. Now hopefully we can make a deal for a decent 2 guard. T Jones and Ajinca for some wing out there, huh Dell?? I guess you deserve another year since you made such a great move. If we don't make the 8th seed, Gentry needs to go tho!! Hell I want him to go no matter what to tell the truth!

If we want to keep AD around, we needed to make a deal like this one. Buddy Hield may turn out to be a decent player, but I don't see him becoming anything better than a Michael Redd type of player. Which isn't bad for sure, but nothing close to the type of player Boogie Cousins is IMO. I hate to see Buddy go, but to get a player like Cousins he was the only player on the roster that could possibly get it done.
    Good point with Divac. We should hang his jersey in the rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Good point with Divac. We should hang his jersey in the rafters.
    Peja's jersey as well

Thread Information