Pelicans Report

Thread: Dare to Dream: The Playoffs

Dare to Dream: The Playoffs

As of right now the Pels have a record of 23-34, and that is good for the 11th best record in the Western Conference. The difference between us and the Denver Nuggets (current 8th seed) is 2.5 games, the difference between us and the OKC Thunder (current 7th seed) is 9 games, the difference between us and the Memphis Grizz (Current 6th seed) is 10.5 games, and the difference between us and the Utah Jazz (Current 5th seed) is 12 games. The question now is, is the 8th seed as good as we can hope for? Could we land the 7th seed (or better) over these last 25 games?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I doubt we catch OKC but that 8th seed is very doable. It'll take an epic meltdown in OKC and/or Memphis for us to catch them. But its fine... if we can get some solid guards down the stretch we'll at least make GS sweat a lil bit if we get that 8th seed.

First we have to fight for the 8th spot. Hopefully AD and Boogie will gell immediately How difficult is our schedule compared to Denver and Portland?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    No telling how long it will take for the chemistry to click, it won't be overnight. But if the Pelicans figure it out in time for the playoffs, any team they face is in trouble. Anything could happen once we are in the playoffs.

OKC's current winning percentage projects out to 46-36. The Pels are currently 23-34. Just to tie OKC if they keep pace from here, the Pels would have to go 23-2. Get the 8th seed and be happy with bloodying the bully's nose a bit in the first round.

We actually may match up better now playing GS in the 1st round then any other team.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    We actually may match up better now playing GS in the 1st round then any other team.
    how funny is that?

8 seed is well and truly reachable. We play Denver 3 times and Portland twice in our last 25, We probably need to go 4-1 in those games when you look at our remaining schedule - it's tough. Definitely won't be a cake walk but if Denver and Portland both continue to win at their current clip they are on pace for 37 and 34 wins respectively.

Pels need to go 15-10 (.600) just to hit 38 wins which is a pretty big ask given the situation. (11-9 outside of games with Denver/Portland) I think we probably finish between 35-38 wins and should be right there with Denver for the 8 seed.

Very good news that we play Denver 3 times and Portland twice. It looks like playoffs are in Pels hands

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    IF we're dreaming...

I'd love for this to come down to Pelicans or Blazers and the last game of the season, which is televised on ESPN. BUT, I'd also love for the Pelicans to just miss the playoffs and get very lucky in the lottery.

Getting a top 3 pick after landing Boogie would be franchise altering in a really big way. The Pelicans would definitely trade the pick, but could you imagine adding Fultz, Ball or Jackson to this team?! If (let's be honest, when) the Pels trade it, they could really get a great player to add to this roster.

IF we're dreaming, that's what I'm dreaming.

I do not think 7th is reasonable. I do think 8th is attainable now. I'm working on a schedule comparison on Denver/Portland/Dallas/NOLA. It should be up before tip-off Thursday. A lot cooking all at once.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    I do not think 7th is reasonable. I do think 8th is attainable now. I'm working on a schedule comparison on Denver/Portland/Dallas/NOLA. It should be up before tip-off Thursday. A lot cooking all at once.
    Good to see you back. How's the baby?

8th is the best we can do and I'm hoping we do that. It's doubtful that we will get to keep our pick if we don't make the playoffs. It'd be too good to be true. Now I do think that this off-season we will have a chance to dream big....HUGE. I mean who wouldn't want to play with an allstar point guard and the best power forward and center in the league. Plus you have the appearance of Gentry being an offensive mastermind.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Good to see you back. How's the baby?
    My de facto editor. Incredibly time sensitive. But, very well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    My de facto editor. Incredibly time sensitive. But, very well. Thanks!
    You have done an excellent job on twitter and on "The Bird Writes" my friend. Good work!

Since next after W/L H-to-H tiebreaker is Division W/L%, Pels need to either dominate the division or win all 3 games vs Nuggets to get the tiebreaker.

Right now Pelicans are 3-6 in Division with 3 games vs Rockets, 2 - vs Mavs, 1 - vs Grizz and Spurs each left, 5 of those at home, while Nuggets are 5-8 and have home-and-home series with Thunder and away game at Blazers).

Non of those 3 games are B-to-Bs, not for Nuggets either, though last one is their 3rd in 4 days. First game of the series is also more than a month away, so Pels get to properly gel, but at the same time Nuggets get time to possibly recover from their current injury bug.

Feels like sweeping the rest of Nuggets series is more realistic actually than being ahead of them in Division W/L%, and obviously more effective in actually catching Denver, since that's a +1 win jump in the standings with every victory.

Edit:
    Pels are 21-21 in games Jrue played, so Pels just added an all-star to .500 team
    Pels lost all 3 games to Warriors, BUT by an average margin of less than 8 points and Jrue didn't play in 2 of those.
    Last edited by Gilles; 02-22-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post

thanks for this.
    Portland has the easiest schedule. Unfortunately Denver has easier schedule than Pels but it's good we play them 3 more times

we do not know how Denver will look after deadline.
    they may lose Chandler and Gallo. and now they are below salary floor.
    also they MIGHT qualify. it is not obligatory this year

it is all about development. and Jokić

Portland - it is other case. From one hand - they are tax team, and should have results. From the other side they have 3 picks. their own right now is 10th...

So let's talk about chances after Thursday...

Gelling or not....to not make up 2.5 games after adding such talent would need a colossal let down. I know we want to temper expectations but it would. To have this talent and NOT improve a few games is sad.

That being said, the 7th seed is a pretty steep hole. We'd have to get out of the gate at an elite level to do it. It can happen but it's not likely.

The real question is more of "after 25 games, how well will we be playing to stack up against GS?"

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Gelling or not....to not make up 2.5 games after adding such talent would need a colossal let down. I know we want to temper expectations but it would. To have this talent and NOT improve a few games is sad.

That being said, the 7th seed is a pretty steep hole. We'd have to get out of the gate at an elite level to do it. It can happen but it's not likely.

The real question is more of "after 25 games, how well will we be playing to stack up against GS?"
    I think this is discrediting Denver a bit, They are a completely different team since Jokic has been starting.

Being as hown they have a lower win % in the last 10 games as they do for the season, I think the discredit was earned.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Being as hown they have a lower win % in the last 10 games as they do for the season, I think the discredit was earned.
    True, but to be fair 3 of those losses were on SEGABABA's

Thread Information