Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sooooo I'll be the first one to say it..

Question Sooooo I'll be the first one to say it..

Should we bring back Monty Williams?

- A core like the Super Smash Bros. Would definitely benefit Monty coaching philosophy of halfcort, screens, and pick and rolling with deadly peremiter shooters. Compared to Gentry "up tempo" style we legit have a nightmare of a frontcourt so we definitely have to find the right coach.

- Monty is a coach AD personally loves and players fight hard for every night.

- Monty maybe potentially the best coach that control the Grizzly bear known as Boogie

Can this team be a perfect fit for a returning Monty Williams?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

He wouldn't want to come back here
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

It is a little odd that demps builds the kind of team that gentry should thrive with when Monty was here then he starts to build a team that Monty could thrive with while gentry is coach

idk if he's going to coach again. he's in a position with the spurs where he can stay in San Antonio and he probably doesn't need to travel much. Given his situation, i doubt he wants to be in on the road away from his kids much

Basketball Guru
    the million dollar question is will gentry use AD and boogie the way OKC and Memphis does against GS...you know crash the boards and eliminate GS from getting extra possessions....beat them up inside the paint.....get offensive rebounds..........the way we set our defense up is we shoot and no one crash the board for a offensive rebound..everyone run back and setup for defense.........

i think you have to let AD or both play inside for some offensive put backs and rebounds.....i also dont think gentry is the right coach for these two but im willing to hope he is....

When I was thinking about who would be a good coach for this core, the thought did cross my mind. But all the rumors said it was not a good situation between Monty and Dell at the end. Demps just earned his stay of execution so I doubt Monty is an option.

Gentry needs to be replaced this summer.

Monty ain't the solution. I'd try to bring in Rick Adelman. The high/low halfcourt offense he's famous for would be perfect for Boogie/AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Should we bring back Monty Williams?

- A core like the Super Smash Bros. Would definitely benefit Monty coaching philosophy of halfcort, screens, and pick and rolling with deadly peremiter shooters. Compared to Gentry "up tempo" style we legit have a nightmare of a frontcourt so we definitely have to find the right coach.

- Monty is a coach AD personally loves and players fight hard for every night.

- Monty maybe potentially the best coach that control the Grizzly bear known as Boogie

Can this team be a perfect fit for a returning Monty Williams?
    Why would Monty leave Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Spurs to coach the Pelicans? If Monty returns to coaching he would most probably be taking over the reigns with the Spurs when Pops retires.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Keep Gentry if they show major improvement, make playoffs and go at least to game 7 vs warriors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gentry and Demps aren't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Gentry and Demps aren't going anywhere.
    I think Gentry absolutely could and will be fired if he doesn't finish the season very strong. All eyes will be on us and the pundits and pressure will be on him to make this work.

Though Demps is here for sure. Not happy about it but he probably just lucked into at least 2-3 more years targeting the wrong role players and throwing away every draft pick he can for marginal returns.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Don't want Monty, he wasn't the answer. If Gentry misses the playoffs, then let's look then. Let's see how the team plays. It's a good test for him going into next year.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I think Gentry absolutely could and will be fired if he doesn't finish the season very strong. All eyes will be on us and the pundits and pressure will be on him to make this work.

Though Demps is here for sure. Not happy about it but he probably just lucked into at least 2-3 more years targeting the wrong role players and throwing away every draft pick he can for marginal returns.
    I dunno. He just pulled off one of the best trades ever. Let's see what happens. He has shown a tendency to do well with less money. He at least deserves a chance after that. Most of his signings were met with cautious optimism that just didn't pan out. Maybe the next one puts us over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I dunno. He just pulled off one of the best trades ever. Let's see what happens. He has shown a tendency to do well with less money. He at least deserves a chance after that. Most of his signings were met with cautious optimism that just didn't pan out. Maybe the next one puts us over the top.
    This!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I think he has done good filling out the bench on a budget but outside of this trade and perhaps Jrue/Ryno, he doesnt put together very synergistic pieces at the top of the roster.

But he will have his chance, that is for sure.

I think the one thing that will help is out identity is clear now. Demps has moved past the part of building an identity around AD so we are past the point where Demps is deciding Do I go with an Asik or a Ryno or an Evans. Now its Jrue(unless a clear upgrade is there like CP3) AD and Cousins. And what they need is pretty clear. Shooters and defenders.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-23-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

You obviously hate the guy and can't give him credit. There is definitely more to this trade than pure luck. We are suddenly in a position where if things go right we could be one of the best teams in the whole NBA in the very near future.

Mike Budenholzer is a FA this offseason. He has had a very good run in ATL. Wouldn't that be a fun acquisition.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Mike Budenholzer is a FA this offseason. He has had a very good run in ATL. Wouldn't that be a fun acquisition.
    That would be very interesting. He did well with the Horford/Millsap front line.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I think he has a connection with Dell Demps back when he was assistant with the Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    That would be very interesting. He did well with the Horford/Millsap front line.
    And neither of those two are on AD/Boogies level. He would also have a better pg in Jrue than he had during his Horford/Millsap days. He is getting more out of that team than he should.

If Dell is horrible at getting great players but great at getting fillers then he actually is a perfect gm now right?

I think it is very important to keep consistency until Boogie resigns with us.

Quote Originally Posted by JrueDat View Post
    I think it is very important to keep consistency until Boogie resigns with us.

Yeah I think it might be nice if Cousin's actually has the same coach for more than one season.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Yeah I think it might be nice if Cousin's actually has the same coach for more than one season.
    yep was thinking about this earlier, with gentry and dell being the guys who helped ease boogie in you couldn't imagine he would be happy if they got turfed out.

Thread Information