Pelicans Report

Thread: Got Cousins...what is next?

Question Got Cousins...what is next?

Now that Cousins has been added to the team, what type of free agency money is available? Can another big name be signed? If so, who do we go after? I'd like to think that free agents will now look at signing with New Orleans.

Krueger Holiday

Chris Paul 2018

Basketball Guru
    if i remember right,,,casspri was the player that we got when we traded for asik....casspri didnt want to be here so i wonder what will happen to him this time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    Now that Cousins has been added to the team, what type of free agency money is available? Can another big name be signed? If so, who do we go after? I'd like to think that free agents will now look at signing with New Orleans.
    They'll have between $10 & $15 million in cap space. You can get some decent players for that but I have to think they will try to resign Jrue and then spend the MLE on whatever free agent they are looking for. I'd look to back court depth since they gave up so many guards in this deal. The MLE is around $7 or $8 million so you can get someone decent.

Add another wing before the deadline and get rid of Asik (most likely stretching him out in the offseason) and Ajinca.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Add another wing before the deadline and get rid of Asik (most likely stretching him out in the offseason) and Ajinca.
    Stretching Asik is a lot of money to throw away. Maybe keep him around as a backup and get rid of Ajinca.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    Stretching Asik is a lot of money to throw away. Maybe keep him around as a backup and get rid of Ajinca.
    They will absolutely stretch Asik, cutting his cap hit from $11 million to $3.5 million. We'll hopefully move Ajinca as well. We're gonna have money to play with this off-season, but any moves will have to be done before we resign Jrue. Once we resign him, our cap space is effectively gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    They will absolutely stretch Asik, cutting his cap hit from $11 million to $3.5 million. We'll hopefully move Ajinca as well. We're gonna have money to play with this off-season, but any moves will have to be done before we resign Jrue. Once we resign him, our cap space is effectively gone.
    The problem is that Asik has 3 years left on his deal. If he only had one year left on his deal then the cap hit could lower to $3.5 but with 3 years left, the cap hit would be closer to the $5 to $7 million range.

This all assumes that hoopshype is correct. Maybe the Pels have a team option that I don't know about in which case a low cap hit could happen.

This was such a one sided trade it makes me want to call Boston and say " Hey Danny, I will give you Boogie and AA for nets 1, smart, Brown, zeller.".

We're going to see Moore and Hill really flourish with the new roster makeup. Those guys are now in the best possible positions for their skill-sets in the NBA. All they'll be required to do offensively is shoot the 3 ball and cut, which they're both capable of doing. We know how valuable each can be defensively.

In the summer, I think we start off by trying to make a big play on Otto Porter, who's a RFA. When the Wizards match, I think we move on to guys like JJ Redick, PJ Tucker, or Ben Mclemore. Some versatile wings who can shoot the 3 ball and switch defensively. Each of those guys obviously has different skills, but they each fit that role. The big underrated move that will need to be made is for a versatile 3rd big. He may be in house with Montejiunas if you're able to keep him, but it may be difficult to convince a guy of that caliber to be a 3rd big behind Davis and Boogie. We know that Davis will miss a few games to injury, and Cousins tends to get in foul trouble. Thus, the 3rd big will probably play 25-28 minutes a game and more with injuries. Other than D-Money, Mirotic could be an interesting project; Patrick Patterson could also be a nice fit. Dell has loved Amir Johnson in the past as well.

All things considered, I think we run out the same starting lineup next year as we will for the final 2 months of the season; and I'm very excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    The problem is that Asik has 3 years left on his deal. If he only had one year left on his deal then the cap hit could lower to $3.5 but with 3 years left, the cap hit would be closer to the $5 to $7 million range.

This all assumes that hoopshype is correct. Maybe the Pels have a team option that I don't know about in which case a low cap hit could happen.
    his final year only has $3million guaranteed, so if stretched there will be near on $25 million owed to him. so $3.5million will be the cap hit over 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    We're going to see Moore and Hill really flourish with the new roster makeup. Those guys are now in the best possible positions for their skill-sets in the NBA. All they'll be required to do offensively is shoot the 3 ball and cut, which they're both capable of doing. We know how valuable each can be defensively.

In the summer, I think we start off by trying to make a big play on Otto Porter, who's a RFA. When the Wizards match, I think we move on to guys like JJ Redick, PJ Tucker, or Ben Mclemore. Some versatile wings who can shoot the 3 ball and switch defensively. Each of those guys obviously has different skills, but they each fit that role. The big underrated move that will need to be made is for a versatile 3rd big. He may be in house with Montejiunas if you're able to keep him, but it may be difficult to convince a guy of that caliber to be a 3rd big behind Davis and Boogie. We know that Davis will miss a few games to injury, and Cousins tends to get in foul trouble. Thus, the 3rd big will probably play 25-28 minutes a game and more with injuries. Other than D-Money, Mirotic could be an interesting project; Patrick Patterson could also be a nice fit. Dell has loved Amir Johnson in the past as well.

All things considered, I think we run out the same starting lineup next year as we will for the final 2 months of the season; and I'm very excited about it.
    Otto is getting Barnes money, so $20-23m starting salary. Pels can't fit that under the cap without rescinding Jrue's cap hold.
    Mclemore best traits is shooting off the catch and running the floor in transition. He's not a good defender as he gets stuck on screens and lose people off the ball. Not sure, it will be wise to use MLE on him.
    PJ Tucker is a decent option as a backup SF if he settles for MLE, though he's not a true wing and is more effective at PF than SG. Redick will get more than MLE, so he's not a realistic option.
    Given what Nets were prepared to pay Monti, he's not a realistic option, given the lack of Bird rights. Pels can live with Ajinca and Cunningham, if he picks up his option, as backup 5 and 4. There will be some veteran willing to settle for bi-annual exception like, say, Speights to provide depth.

Stretching Asik only makes sense, if Pels are going to use cap space this upcoming summer. If Cunningham opts out (and now you have a hole at backup PF), Pels have $102,984k in cap hit with 9 players under contract, Jrue's cap hold and 2 min cap holds ($815,615). That's right at projected cap. If Cunningham opt in, it will be almost $2.3m more. With MLE at $8.4m you want to do better than that, but stretching Asik only brings a shade over $7m, so Pels will need to get rid of Ajinca (and now you have a hole at backup C) or QPon. In other words, Asik might still be on this team next season. Cap dropping $5m from projected $108 really hurts Pels flexibility.

I get what you're saying from a salary standpoint, and I posted earlier before I knew about the drop in projected cap. However, I think at this point the Pels are targeting very specific types of players (with Boogie as an outlier). Basically I really don't think theres any possibility of Asik and Ajinca being on this team basically because Demps wants to fill the locker room with young athletes that have everything to prove, with histories of being extremely hard workers and leaders by example. I applaud Asik and Ajinca for their patience in this process and it seems they've been nothing short of class acts considering the tough moves to the bench, but at this point those roster spots need to go to players who want to be here and want to prove they belong in the league.
    The cap change probably priced us out of Redick, but McLemore clearly fits that mold. Not to mention he's never been on a plus defensive team where he could afford to take some chances and use his athleticism. If QPon can practice then I keep him around because we know he'll come back hungry. If he plans on missing another season, you have to somehow convince him to retire.
    I don't think we should be underestimating the significance of a third big on a team like this that wants to contend. Speights would be a decent piece though, and I'm sure there will be some Terrance Jones type players that fall through the cracks. Best case scenario, Diallo progresses faster than expected and is ready to take on a role, but I think he's at least another year and 20 pounds away.

Didn't know where to ask this and didn't want to start a new thread but, any idea how much D-Mo is going to command this offseason? I would love to bring him back but not for too much. I was thinking something like a 3 yr/24 mil.
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    Didn't know where to ask this and didn't want to start a new thread but, any idea how much D-Mo is going to command this offseason? I would love to bring him back but not for too much. I was thinking something like a 3 yr/24 mil.
    Yeah I've seen a few numbers thrown around, in that 8-10 kind of bracket.

I think he will sign for less. He didn't really flourish here but I like his playing style and wouldn't mind him

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...on-offer-sheet
    Now that he has played though (11p+8r+3a per 36 minutes with very bad defense as in his minutes team allowed 116.1 points per 100 possessions, which would be the worst in the NBA by a margin; without Motie on the floor Pels allowed 107.4 pp100p so far), I'm not sure, New Orleans want him back.
    Of all the bigs Pelicans have the best one next to Davis is Cunningham as he provides best spacing. Motiejunas biggest offensive asset is passing, and I doubt, you want the ball in his hands now, that you can just stagger AD and Boogie, and have at least one of them on the floor at all time. Cunningham should get all the available minutes at 4. Casspi can get spot minutes at 4 as well now.
    In other words I don't think, we'll see Asik, Ajinca or Motiejunas very often from now on.

Thread Information