Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should we start developing Diallo as a SF?

Should we start developing Diallo as a SF?

He seems to have a similar body type as Cunningham except longer and more athletic. Should we tell him to stop bulking and change directions on Diallo?

All-Star
    No way

No and No. They won't do it and they shouldn't do it. On defense he'll still be able to switch up and play reasonably on wings as he develops, but he doesn't need to become a wing player by any means.

As a proviso I think eventually in his career he'll learn how to shoot 3's though, just because everyone is doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

No way is Diallo a SF. Dante doesn't play SF except rarely and they don't have anything in common. Dante is a bad SF but a solid stretch 4. Diallo can be the perfect big off the bench and can be exactly what we need.

Haha, really going all in for Tall-Ball.
    And know it's not a popular thought, but there's still a chance he is included in a trade for a guard.

Diallo is a raw 20 y.o., and teams need good bigs off the bench too. He's a human victory cigar for the next couple of years anyway, so let him develop into a productive player first, before you pigeonhole him into a position, for which he might be slow and underskilled.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Diallo is a player you develop behind Cousins and AD. He could be a major contributor off the bench. I am open to putting Diallo at SF if his defense is strong enough to win games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Diallo is a player you develop behind Cousins and AD. He could be a major contributor off the bench. I am open to putting Diallo at SF if his defense is strong enough to win games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't see him trying to guard 3's. He could be a stretch 4 IMO.

you need energy guys to come in and play 10-15 minutes on teams that do well. he's a ways away from contributing, who knows if Cousins is even here past next season. Develop him the same way you've been developing and lets cross that bridge if we need to down the line

In a year or two I see Diallo as a great fit next to AD or Cousins. He will come off the bench and play next to either and will fit good as a high energy guy.

Okay let's look at how he compares to other SF's of his size. (I didn't include Kawhi or Greek Freak because Greek Freak didn't participate in combine and I can't find the 2011 draft combine results anywhere online.)

These were their combine results:
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Max Vert: 35.5, Agility: 11.7, Sprint: 3.18
    Harrison Barnes: Max Vert:39.5, Agility: 10.93, Sprint:3.16
    Al-Farouq Aminu Max Vert:33.5, Agility: 11.29, Sprint:3.3
    Chieck Diallo Max Vert:35.0, Agility: 11.24, Sprint: 3.26

Measurements:
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: Height:6'7.5", Wingspan:7'0", Standing Reach:8'8.5"
    Harrison Barnes: Height: 6'8",Wingspan:6'11.25", Standing Reach:8'6"
    Al Farouq-Aminu: Height: 6-8.5, Wingspan: 7-3.25, Standing Reach: 9-0.5
    Cheick Diallo: Height: 6' 9'', Wingspan: 7' 4.5'', Standing Reach: 8' 11.5''

This suggests to me that he can play the 3 if developed right. He moves like a wing when he is on the floor. He just needs to extend his range and improve his handle, he's comfortable guarding the perimeter.

Fast forward to :50 second mark and watch how he grabs the board and goes coast to coast.

Fast forward to 2:50 mark, look at his defesive potential on the perimeter, he's very comfortable getting down in a defensive stance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0SVvT3fRA

Honestly man, have you ever watched Diallo play? He's PF/C. He is in no possible way/shape/form a wing.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 03-04-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Honestly man, have you ever watched Diallo play? He's PF/C. He is in no possible way/shape/form a wing.
    Yes, currently his skillset makes him a 4. But if he improves his handle and extends his range to 3 why can't he be a sf? What's stopping him?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    What's stopping AD from being a sf? He's got better handles and shot than Diallo.

Developing him in a position he doesn't fit to better placate the roster we have would be short sighted and harmful to Diallo as a player. He's a big and if we play our cards right, he can develope to be a very good third big.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    What's stopping AD from being a sf? He's got better handles and shot than Diallo.

Developing him in a position he doesn't fit to better placate the roster we have would be short sighted and harmful to Diallo as a player. He's a big and if we play our cards right, he can develope to be a very good third big.
    What makes him a big and not a 3? Wouldn't it be short sighted to force him into a bench role if he has greater potential as a 3? And the difference between AD and Diallo is Diallo seems to be more comfortable getting down in a stance to guard the perimeter. Although AD may be an awesome 3.

Diallo is a higher energy Aminu with much better basketball skills. Or an Mbah a Moute.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 03-04-2017 at 06:39 PM.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What makes him a big and not a 3? Wouldn't it be short sighted to force him into a bench role if he has greater potential as a 3? And the difference between AD and Diallo is Diallo seems to be more comfortable getting down in a stance to guard the perimeter. Although AD may be an awesome 3.

Diallo is a higher energy Aminu with much better basketball skills. Or an Mbah a Moute.
    Both Aminu and Mbah a Moute are PF's in today's NBA.

Cunningham plays the 3 out of necessity, not because it's where he's best utilized. That's what happens when you have trash wings.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I see him as a Clint Capella type player with a jumper.

Okay let's look at how he compares to other SF's of his size. (I didn't include Kawhi or Greek Freak because Greek Freak didn't participate in combine and I can't find the 2011 draft combine results anywhere online.)

These were their combine results:
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Max Vert: 35.5, Agility: 11.7, Sprint: 3.18
    Harrison Barnes: Max Vert:39.5, Agility: 10.93, Sprint:3.16
    Al-Farouq Aminu Max Vert:33.5, Agility: 11.29, Sprint:3.3
    Chieck Diallo Max Vert:35.0, Agility: 11.24, Sprint: 3.26

Measurements:
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: Height:6'7.5", Wingspan:7'0", Standing Reach:8'8.5"
    Harrison Barnes: Height: 6'8",Wingspan:6'11.25", Standing Reach:8'6"
    Al Farouq-Aminu: Height: 6-8.5, Wingspan: 7-3.25, Standing Reach: 9-0.5
    Cheick Diallo: Height: 6' 9'', Wingspan: 7' 4.5'', Standing Reach: 8' 11.5''

This suggests to me that he can play the 3 if developed right. He moves like a wing when he is on the floor. He just needs to extend his range and improve his handle, he's comfortable guarding the perimeter.

Fast forward to :50 second mark and watch how he grabs the board and goes coast to coast.

Fast forward to 2:50 mark, look at his defesive potential on the perimeter, he's very comfortable getting down in a defensive stance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0SVvT3fRA
    I honestly would test him at SF.

To be fair players like kawhi and Giannis were totally different players when they first step into the NBA, and over the years they use their gifts and size to become terrors in today's NBA. Let's be real , Cunningham doesn't has the athleticism or lateral quickness that Diallo has right now that's raw talent.

So to not even consider it will be foolish IMO.

Fun fact, I moved Diallo to a SF and in the first game I scored 37 points with him in 2k.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Diallo is not a SF and never will be a SF. Comparing some agility stats means nothing. That's like saying Patrick Willis could play cornerback instead of linebacker because he is faster and can jump higher then a lot of them.

He seems to have a similar body type as Cunningham except longer and more athletic. Should we tell him to stop bulking and change directions on Diallo?
    No. Diallo is a 4 that can slide down to the 5. Keep him as such.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Diallo is not a SF and never will be a SF. Comparing some agility stats means nothing. That's like saying Patrick Willis could play cornerback instead of linebacker because he is faster and can jump higher then a lot of them.
    Why will never be a SF? Why is he a de facto pf/c? What in his game restricts him to playing those positions?

Why will never be a SF? Why is he a de facto pf/c? What in his game restricts him to playing those positions?
    Probably eye test

His ball handling, shooting, playmaking ability, and ability to guard perimeter threats. Sure, we could work really hard to get him to improve in all of those areas and he might top out as an average 3. Or we could work on his strengths and not try to fit a square peg in a round hole and try to make him either a good piece of our core or an attractive asset to another team.

Skillset and experience. Just watch how hard it is to learn how to play in the NBA for players and imagine now learning a new position he never played before.

It takes years to get all habits for playing your natural position. Especially when you never had to develop skills like ball handling, PNR running and perimeter shooting.

Thread Information