Pelicans Report

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: DeMarcus Cousins? {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Worthy of acquiring a sniper elite player?

Buddy Hield and filler for DeMarcus Cousins. A month ago that'd get you laughed out of Pelicans Talk.
    Worthy of a very solid player when coupled with a 2017 1st and 2nd round pick and large expiring. I don't think anyone thought it would be enough for a top level player, but it would not have been enough for Paul George. And now, with those assets gone, there is no way we have anything left that even rivals that package by a long shot.

Worthy of acquiring a sniper elite player?

Buddy Hield and filler for DeMarcus Cousins. A month ago that'd get you laughed out of Pelicans Talk.
    That's a silly way of looking at it. That's like me saying Jae Crowder isn't an asset because him plus a filler can't land me a superstar like Cousins. His value was certainly high enough to fetch a respectable player in return when lumped together with the remaining asset we had our disposal, being the 2017 first round pick. Both of those assets are gone now. We have nothing remaining to offer for a player of George's caliber, particularly if we're set on retaining Jrue.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-22-2017 at 05:56 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I just watched the post practice interview with AD. He is really a great guy . I think DC will love it here in New Orleans with people like AD, Jrue, Hill, Gentry, Dell, Joel Meyers, Wesley etc..

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    That video is crazy! They are shadowing each other in the drills, both push each other to do better. This pairing is going to be something special.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

O, its on! Playoffs here we come!

Excited to see what this can do for AD. While he has admirably developed as a high usage scorer with the skill set that requires, I've always felt he was strongest as an off-ball/finisher on offense and with Boogie he will not have to create for himself or others to the degree he has been accustomed to. I also hope this gives him the energy to devote to becoming the DPOY player he has the tools to become.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

Ok, if boogie is 6'11 no way AD is 6'10, he's grown an inch or 2

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    Excited to see what this can do for AD. While he has admirably developed as a high usage scorer with the skill set that requires, I've always felt he was strongest as an off-ball/finisher on offense and with Boogie he will not have to create for himself or others to the degree he has been accustomed to. I also hope this gives him the energy to devote to becoming the DPOY player he has the tools to become.
    This, with AD not having to carry the entire freaking offensive load you'll see more of the amazing defensive plays we saw from him his first 2 years in the league.

Boogies new Twitter banner may be a showing of his intentions in New Orleans.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6618.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	6254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6618.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	6254

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    That's a silly way of looking at it. That's like me saying Jae Crowder isn't an asset because him plus a filler can't land me a superstar like Cousins. His value was certainly high enough to fetch a respectable player in return when lumped together with the remaining asset we had our disposal, being the 2017 first round pick. Both of those assets are gone now. We have nothing remaining to offer for a player of George's caliber, particularly if we're set on retaining Jrue.
    I must be imagining the discussions about finding players to pair with AD and there being several mentions our lack of assets then.

Because I wouldn't mind seeing one post that mentioned Buddy as a key asset. And I've been as Pro-Buddy as anyone.

In the grander scheme, this trade should not have happened. And no one would've taken a trade like this seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Ok, if boogie is 6'11 no way AD is 6'10, he's grown an inch or 2
    pretty sure they've already said ad is actually 7'0 but he wants to be listed shorter so he stays at pf

Stoked about our revamped team. This is going to be good.

Boogie's gonna get 3-4 APG just feeding AD on lobs/cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    Boogie's gonna get 3-4 APG just feeding AD on lobs/cuts.
    Tomorrow can't get here fast enough!

I must be imagining the discussions about finding players to pair with AD and there being several mentions our lack of assets then.
    Member when some guy here said Minnesota, Denver, and Portland were all in "much" better position to get better than the stupid Pelicans. Member? I member.

Ballin in N'awlins, the best, better than the rest
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Member when some guy here said Minnesota, Denver, and Portland were all in "much" better position to get better than the stupid Pelicans. Member? I member.
    I mean, they were. Which just goes to show you how crazy Vlade is and how ridiculous this trade is in context.

I'm pretty sure at no point did some guy say that......I'm pretty sure it was most of the forum that did. lol

Because I wouldn't mind seeing one post that mentioned Buddy as a key asset. And I've been as Pro-Buddy as anyone.

In the grander scheme, this trade should not have happened. And no one would've taken a trade like this seriously.
    There's a difference between saying a player is an asset and a player is an asset within the context of a trade that can yield a superstar player. You seem to think that the only definition of an asset applies to the latter. It doesn't. While I think we robbed the Kings in the Boogie trade, I would have thought that something like Buddy + 2 first rounders was more than a fair return. That was the expectation. And nobody argued that such an expectation was ridiculous because of the understanding that Buddy has value. He's a rookie with an extremely sought after skill (shooting) on a rookie contract. That's a desirable contract. I don't care how you spin it.

Just because we gave up less than a fair share of assets doesn't mean the assets we provided don't have value. Your position on Buddy is more indicative of Boogie's value and less indicative of Buddy's. Both players are assets. Boogie just happens to be a hell of a lot more valuable.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-22-2017 at 11:30 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Sure, in an certain intrinsic sense, everything as value. But Buddy, to us, was an investment with an expected return. I doubt there was a single other team beating down our door to get Hield like Sacramento. Hield was drafted with a single purpose in mind. As was all the guys we brought in like Solo or Galloway or Tyreke Evans.

But were really trying to do more than that.

When the end goal is finding a player to actually help Anthony Davis and not just be better than what we had? The value Hield had was nothing special.

When you want someone to help you, you don't want someone weaker than you to help pick up a couch.

You don't ask a child for tax advice. You ask someone with more experience.

What AD needed was someone physically better than him at banging with the big boys in the league in the paint. Real help means someone who is better than you at that something.

And boy oh boy did we get that.

And in a normal situation, Hield doesn't add up to Cousins. But that situation, thank everything, was not normal. And we're gonna reap the benefits of that uneven trade. Oh my, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'm pretty sure at no point did some guy say that......I'm pretty sure it was most of the forum that did. lol
    Nah. It was one of our esteemed "writers" that pops in when things are bad. Wrote an entire article about it.

Some defended it some didn't. I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    There's a difference between saying a player is an asset and a player is an asset within the context of a trade that can yield a superstar player. You seem to think that the only definition of an asset applies to the latter. It doesn't. While I think we robbed the Kings in the Boogie trade, I would have thought that something like Buddy + 2 first rounders was more than a fair return. That was the expectation. And nobody argued that such an expectation was ridiculous because of the understanding that Buddy has value. He's a rookie with an extremely sought after skill (shooting) on a rookie contract. That's a desirable contract. I don't care how you spin it.

Just because we gave up less than a fair share of assets doesn't mean the assets we provided don't have value. Your position on Buddy is more indicative of Boogie's value and less indicative of Buddy's. Both players are assets. Boogie just happens to be a hell of a lot more valuable.
    No one is saying Buddy or some of our assets didn't have value. But in an objective marketplace where there is no Vlade running around this doesnt happen. An owner with insane valuations of players counter to the rest of the league, and erratic decision-making to boot. Along with a GM without experience trying to operate in that environment, that is why this happened. Because an objective assessment, and what has trickled out since, shows that a number of teams would of offered better deals(and at one point did) but they were never contacted because of this crazy process the Kings engaged in.

Not because this board or other pundits mis-evaluated the talent. What was mis-evaluated was the existence of a crazy owner and bad GM that is borderline incompetent that over-valued something we had.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-22-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    No one is saying Buddy or some of our assets didn't have value. But in an objective marketplace where there is no Vlade running around this doesnt happen. An owner with insane valuations of players counter to the rest of the league, and erratic decision-making to boot. Along with a GM without experience trying to operate in that environment, that is why this happened. Because an objective assessment, and what has trickled out since, shows that a number of teams would of offered better deals(and at one point did) but they were never contacted because of this crazy process the Kings engaged in.

Not because this board or other pundits mis-evaluated the talent. What was mis-evaluated was the existence of a crazy owner and bad GM that is borderline incompetent that over-valued something we had.
    The same logic applies then. No one would think Hield was an asset at all normally.

We are in an anything can happen world.
    Ok.

Sure, in an certain intrinsic sense, everything as value. But Buddy, to us, was an investment with an expected return. I doubt there was a single other team beating down our door to get Hield like Sacramento. Hield was drafted with a single purpose in mind. As was all the guys we brought in like Solo or Galloway or Tyreke Evans.

But were really trying to do more than that.

When the end goal is finding a player to actually help Anthony Davis and not just be better than what we had? The value Hield had was nothing special.

When you want someone to help you, you don't want someone weaker than you to help pick up a couch.

You don't ask a child for tax advice. You ask someone with more experience.

What AD needed was someone physically better than him at banging with the big boys in the league in the paint. Real help means someone who is better than you at that something.

And boy oh boy did we get that.

And in a normal situation, Hield doesn't add up to Cousins. But that situation, thank everything, was not normal. And we're gonna reap the benefits of that uneven trade. Oh my, yes.
    The expected return doesn't go away because it doesn't materialize in 4 months of play with unsteady playing time for half that tenure. Was his value special? If we're defining special as Boogie-level value, then no. But your value doesn't have to be special to be considered an asset. I've already explained why he was an asset: rookie contract, sought after skillset, and you always have the p word to fall back on when discussing rookies: potential. And before anybody says it, yes, four-year college players have a developmental curve just like any other class of rookies.

Nevertheless, this argument has gone on far too long for something as silly as semantics. We got the the 1A/1B caliber player AD has needed and I look forward to seeing those two go to work in the paint.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 02-23-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Nah. It was one of our esteemed "writers" that pops in when things are bad. Wrote an entire article about it.

Some defended it some didn't. I didn't.
    You wrote "esteemed" but I'm thinking you meant to put "emo" and your phone autocorrected.

Lol. Then yeah. I gotcha. Hahaha.

But I will say, as annoying and emo and narcissistic as said esteemed people were, they have been oddly refreshing since the trade. Optimistic. Even less arrogant. So maybe the trade CAN be a catalyst for a change in culture. Shrugs.

Thread Information