Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: DeMarcus Cousins? {merged}

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    According to Mason at BSS we could have roughly ~30m in cap space this summer by trading Ajinca, stretching, Asik, if D.C. Opts out, and a couple of other things.

So, it looks like our time to add another huge piece would be THIS summer before Jrue's deal hits. I don't think we can get PG because we will be capped out by then. But we CAN bring in someone this summer. Now who is the question. . .
    You also have to renounce Jrue, otherwise you have his cap hold.

So if Jrue walks early, you might be able to arrange things so that you have a max or close to max deal you can offer, but I'm not sure who out there is going to be leaving their current team when their current team will have bird rights and can offer more than the Pelicans. If Jrue walks, you're probably looking for a PG. I don't see a realistic target that's better than Jrue. But maybe you go down a tier and split that money between a PG and a wing, but you're probably going to end up overpaying those guys.

My best guess is we roll into 2018 with Jrue/AD/Cousins and then try and flip Moore/Hill and our 2018 on draft night into an upgrade.

The dream scenario for this franchise is to have the 8th seed come down to the wire, barely miss the playoffs while being very competitive, and then luck into a top 3 pick. Then you package that pick w/Asik and Hill (or Moore) for a real upgrade. Now we're cooking...!

But no, the most realistic scenario is resigning Jrue and then using exemptions to fill out roster.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Who are the top SG's and SF's on the FA market this summer? Who would be the best fit for what we need?
    JJ Redick !! The sharpshooter we need & played while Gentry was Rivers asst.

With the way Jrue has been playing lately, I'd have no problem giving him the max. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to play at this high level for the remainder of the season, I think you have to pay Jrue whatever it takes. I didn't feel this way two or three months ago, but he's been playing at an all-star level ever since the Cavs game. If you don't want us to max Jrue, then give me a better alternative. I sure can't think of any.

MM has said multiple times that we were going to trade our picks for vets, with the intention of convincing Jrue to resign here. Even if it cost the max, I think Dell's plan and number one priority this off-season is resigning Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    JJ Redick !! The sharpshooter we need & played while Gentry was Rivers asst.
    I'd rather pay significantly less for Kyle Korver. Especially if we still have Moore and Hill on board.

With the way Jrue has been playing lately, I'd have no problem giving him the max. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to play at this high level for the remainder of the season, I think you have to pay Jrue whatever it takes. I didn't feel this way two or three months ago, but he's been playing at an all-star level ever since the Cavs game. If you don't want us to max Jrue, then give me a better alternative. I sure can't think of any.

MM has said multiple times that we were going to trade our picks for vets, with the intention of convincing Jrue to resign here. Even if it cost the max, I think Dell's plan and number one priority this off-season is resigning Jrue.
    I agree. So I'm just throwing names out there since you asked for alternatives. You could probably throw that money at Kyle Lowrey. Not sure if that's any better than throwing it at Jrue. Or you could also try to get someone like Patty Mills for less than the max, but it would still take a lot to get him away from the Spurs.

I no longer hate the Solomon Hill signing. I think Hill and Moore are perfect for what we need from our 2 and 3. We need defense, three point shooting and players that can move the ball. Hill and Moore fit the bill perfectly. They'll be the 4th and 5th scoring options in the starting lineup, so I think they could thrive in this line-up.

Ofcourse we could always use an upgrade at those two spots, but I'm excited to see those two now with all the open looks they'll get.

You need 30+ mil in cap room to sign a CP3 or a Lowry and 17 mil to sign Jrue. This shouldn't even be a convo
    @mcnamara247

We may have to. I have a hard time seeing Jrue as a max player though. That would give us 3 players on max contracts 2 years from now. Yikes.

I think this last move that got Cousins was unexpected and overrides trying to keep Jrue or not. Cousins isn't that vet most people had in mind. Unexpected bases loaded home run. It'd be nice if he took less to stay here but priorities have now shifted to balancing the roster --while even possibly signing a player a notch above Jrue. I'd personally hope he stays though.
    Last edited by luckyman; 02-21-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We may have to. I have a hard time seeing Jrue as a max player though. That would give us 3 players on max contracts 2 years from now. Yikes.
    That's the cost of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You need 30+ mil in cap room to sign a CP3 or a Lowry and 17 mil to sign Jrue. This shouldn't even be a convo
    Exactly. There are no realistic alternatives that are better than resigning Jrue.

Exactly. There are no realistic alternatives that are better than resigning Jrue.
    None. Especially when the WHOLE POINT of being aggressive at the deadline was to appeal to Jrue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    And a real good team 2 years from now. If the Jrue we've seen for the last month and a half is what we can expect from here on out, then he's the perfect PG for this team and keeping him allows us to make a move for another talented player before resigning Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    None. Especially when the WHOLE POINT of being aggressive at the deadline was to appeal to Jrue!!!
    Exactly. I can't see Demps going through all this, just to let Jrue walk when he commands the salary that most of us believe he will command. Dell worked relentlessly to bring in another good player, so he'd have a strong case for resigning Jrue. He pulls off the ultimate trade and now some people think we should let Jrue walk if he commands a max salary? Sorry guys, that's not happening.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 02-21-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Exactly. I can't see Demps going through all this, just to let Jrue walk when he commands the salary that most of us believe he will command. Dell worked relentlessly to bring in another good player, so he'd have a strong case for resigning Jrue. He pulls off the ultimate trade and now some people think we should let Jrue walk if he commands a max salary? Sorry guys, that's not happening.
    I think folks are jumping the gun on that. We've got to let these remaining games play out to see how this comes together.

What do you do if Jrue decides to go back into his shell and becomes passive again? Stops pushing the ball? He's obviously 3rd fiddle now, but he has a habit of playing like the 5th. He got he butt tore up by John Wall twice and never really responded.

Signing Cousins puts him into a more comfortable role as opposed to if they had signed Lopez or Okafor, but he still needs to play like a fringe AS, or better yet an AS for this to work.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I have no idea what actually transpired the other time we had him, but Casspi, the basketball player, should have a place here...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I think folks are jumping the gun on that. We've got to let these remaining games play out to see how this comes together.

What do you do if Jrue decides to go back into his shell and becomes passive again? Stops pushing the ball? He's obviously 3rd fiddle now, but he has a habit of playing like the 5th. He got he butt tore up by John Wall twice and never really responded.

Signing Cousins puts him into a more comfortable role as opposed to if they had signed Lopez or Okafor, but he still needs to play like a fringe AS, or better yet an AS for this to work.
    I mean, sure, if he reverts back to passive Jrue, then I agree that's not the PG we want, but he's been playing consistently good basketball for long enough now, that I'm starting to believe that this is the Jrue we'll see from now on. If that changes, then my opinion on resigning him would change as well. As of now, it's the best option and has been Dell's priority.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I have no idea what actually transpired the other time we had him, but Casspi, the basketball player, should have a place here...
    Casspi and Cousins are close. I'm not really sure why the Pels wanted to include Casspi in the deal, but I'm glad they did. I hope we keep him so him and Cousins can still be on the same team.

Well, I guess they wanted to create the trade exception we got. Maybe we felt we needed more consistent shooters. Galloway was a small asset, but still very much inconsistent and was getting a lot of DNP-CDs

I mean, sure, if he reverts back to passive Jrue, then I agree that's not the PG we want, but he's been playing consistently good basketball for long enough now, that I'm starting to believe that this is the Jrue we'll see from now on. If that changes, then my opinion on resigning him would change as well. As of now, it's the best option and has been Dell's priority.
    It just seems to me they were looking to get AD help down low more than trying to appease Jrue. They needed another big man to stop getting abused on the boards and get AD out of that 5 spot. Mission accomplished in a big way annd the happiest person on this team right now is AD.

Jrue, on the other hand, has got to show some consistency and possibly step up even more. Stakes are higher now. Hopefully a player like Cousins makes it easier for him to do that. If not....

I'm with Lucky, I am not bullish on Jrue. There are so many ways he could go, and they aren't all positive. I would want to see how he finishes out this year before I go long on him. Call it chicken little, or being a pessimist, but I haven't seen enough positive from him to think he is the guy that will be the great 3rd wheel.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I'm with Lucky, I am not bullish on Jrue. There are so many ways he could go, and they aren't all positive. I would want to see how he finishes out this year before I go long on him. Call it chicken little, or being a pessimist, but I haven't seen enough positive from him to think he is the guy that will be the great 3rd wheel.
    Okay say we don't pay him and let him walk who's your pg if cp resigns with the clippers and Lowry resigns with the raptors? Frazier sorry no we aren't winning much with him as your point

I no longer hate the Solomon Hill signing. I think Hill and Moore are perfect for what we need from our 2 and 3. We need defense, three point shooting and players that can move the ball. Hill and Moore fit the bill perfectly. They'll be the 4th and 5th scoring options in the starting lineup, so I think they could thrive in this line-up.

Ofcourse we could always use an upgrade at those two spots, but I'm excited to see those two now with all the open looks they'll get.
    This is what I think too especially Hill with his passing

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It just seems to me they were looking to get AD help down low more than trying to appease Jrue. They needed another big man to stop getting abused on the boards and get AD out of that 5 spot. Mission accomplished in a big way annd the happiest person on this team right now is AD.

Jrue, on the other hand, has got to show some consistency and possibly step up even more. Stakes are higher now. Hopefully a player like Cousins makes it easier for him to do that. If not....

im with you....AD open his mouth up on TV about playing the 5...i do believe that he said something behind close doors too....this was all about getting AD help and if jrue is happy about this move then thats good too........jrue just started playing good about a month ago this season knowing that he is playing for another contract..its like someone had to remind jrue that his contract year is due and he turned the switch on ........the PG has to be the floor general like cp3 and imo jrue is no general.......these 25 games left to get into the playoffs will tell alot about our big 3....

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Okay say we don't pay him and let him walk who's your pg if cp resigns with the clippers and Lowry resigns with the raptors? Frazier sorry no we aren't winning much with him as your point

come on man,,everyone know in no way in hell frazier will be the starting PG to help AD and boogie succeed if we let jrue walk.....

Thread Information