Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: We should have drafted Jamal Murray!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Weren't we here before? Early December, after Murray had some good stretch and won November Rookie of the Month. Heard people lamenting the draft, etc.

Then Hield won the same award in December and conveniently the talk dies down?

I guess this is just how it'll be. Someone has to be right and the other choice is wrong. Both players can't be good in their own respect. Oh no. That'd be too sensible.
    To me its not about the numbers they produce, it's based off what I'm seeing on the court. Part of it might be because Hield is more a role player to AD, whereas Murray has more freedom to do what he's good at. Perhaps if they swapped franchises you'd be seeing a similar result from Murray, who knows

I'm not really thinking about the present, they're both pretty close to each other if you look at numbers. Murray is better at the mid range and Buddy is better from deep. My opinion is simply that Murray has more potential to have that impact that you need from a guard to compete in this league; that IT, Lillard, CJ type ability to score at will. Buddy looks more like a JJ, who is a solid guard, but not on that same level.

Is that what I want? No i want Buddy to be perhaps that Mitch Richmond ceiling that MM has mentioned before, if not better. But that's my opinion as of now, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Buddy is better. In other news Okafor is in town! Hoping he gets traded here an you maybe out of luck.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...art_river_home
    Last edited by Champ; 02-18-2017 at 01:09 AM.

Those discussions will last for years.
    But it will took years to evaluate them properly.

Based on age Jamal has bigger upside. It is not debatable. But potential is not equal to success...
    Based on his work ethic and different elements of game- at this point older Buddy looks better...

Buddy will be step back because of his age.
    But he will have a good career in the NBA.

Whose career will be better?
    To many variables.

The Franchise
    I guess I like Murray because of his handles and just looks more fluid. I felt before the draft buddy would be an excellent 6th man but so far he's doing better than I thought. Okafor looked decent and ran the floor. I think he'd fit in nicely on the Pels with a worse case being taking jones place in the backup rotation.

We talking about an exhibition game, an exhibition game. None of this matters.

As far as Jamal goes, my opinion hasn't changed. I still fully believe that while he might have a SLIGHT upside offensively compared to Buddy (not that he's better now only the potential to be slightly better later), I don't think he will ever be able to be the defender Buddy has the potential to be. I see it as something like, if both hit the potential peaks, Offensively: Jamal would be an A. Buddy would be an A-. Defensively: Jamal would be a C-. Buddy would be a B. Yes I see that big of a difference in their defensive potential.

For my money, I take the complete player every time.

I can't see Buddy ever being an A-. I think Murrays offensive ceiling is much higher than Buddy's. I think we are talking about the difference between a Redick and a McCollum. To make up that gap, Buddy's D is going to have to be MUCH better
    @mcnamara247

Yea, objectively with the homer glasses off, Murray does look like the better all-around player right now. And not just based on the fun no-defense game. But, I still think Buddy is going to be a good player and has that x-factor of coming from humble roots and vastly improving in college to become one of the top players there, so there's a chance he surprises with unforeseen leaps of development. I swear though, if it's that painful for us to watch him get his shot blocked all those times at the rim, I just hope it affects him with the motivation to get a lot better there.

I still don't see the upside with Murray. He's not very athletic, doesn't have good size or length. Good shooter and ball handler. That's about it.

I wanted Buddy more before the draft and I still feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I still don't see the upside with Murray. He's not very athletic, doesn't have good size or length. Good shooter and ball handler. That's about it.

I wanted Buddy more before the draft and I still feel that way.
    And passer, and finisher at the rim. And that cool shooting of the bow and arrow 3-point celebration, lol. But yea, still early.

I've always thought Jamal Murray to be better.
    Their aren't many guards in the world to step in and avg 20 for one of these calamari kentucky super-teams.

At the same age Hield waz avg single digits at Oklahoma

I know that doesn't mean Murray will be better in the future, but it kinda makes Murray look like the prodigy he is

This board man. Why wait until a game like last night to post this thread? Why not wait until the REAL games start again and post something if he goes off in a REAL game?

Really. Can't be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I've always thought Jamal Murray to be better.
    Their aren't many guards in the world to step in and avg 20 for one of these calamari kentucky super-teams.

At the same age Hield waz avg single digits at Oklahoma

I know that doesn't mean Murray will be better in the future, but it kinda makes Murray look like the prodigy he is
    I wouldn't trust calamari from Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea, objectively with the homer glasses off, Murray does look like the better all-around player right now. And not just based on the fun no-defense game. But, I still think Buddy is going to be a good player and has that x-factor of coming from humble roots and vastly improving in college to become one of the top players there, so there's a chance he surprises with unforeseen leaps of development. I swear though, if it's that painful for us to watch him get his shot blocked all those times at the rim, I just hope it affects him with the motivation to get a lot better there.
    Untrue. Murray looks better offensive. He is nowhere near buddy defensive. Never will be.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's funny when people say they're going to be objective then speak in totally subjective terms. Objectivity is defined by the facts and things you can measure. Speak about the numbers between Hield and Murray and you're being objective.

Word you want to use is unbiased.

But that's my subjective opinion.

The Franchise    Contributor   

Hey- at least we are talking about how good he could be instead of whether or not he'll bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Pardon View Post
    I wouldn't trust calamari from Kentucky.
    I lol'd.

Thank you.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Okay, now you can really let your feelings be known.

Well, Buddy was critical in this trade because of the Kings' infatuation with him.

Hield outplayed him today. Even put him on spin cycle with one of his moves.

Thread Information