Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Brook Lopez trade talks??? {edited}

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Because people like potential over reality. Always will

But realistically, the chance of Okafor becoming even 80% of Lopez is under 5% IMO
    . I hate the idea of trading the pick for any center, but if I had to do it for one, it's clearly Lopez
    C'mon. I don't really like Okafor as a player, but that prediction is ridiculous. Lopez is a B- level center. You're saying the chance that Okafor becomes even 80% of that is 5%. There's nothing realistic about that prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i feel ya....i would go to war against GS with a lineup of,,jrue,,reke,,hill,,AD,,okafor......you would have to force curry to play defense against jrue or reke,,,maybe draw some fouls on curry early to sit him.......the thing is,,,gentry would not draw plays up for jrue or reke to post up curry .....
    And you'd get destroyed.

Brook Lopez trade talks??? {edited}

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Hard to believe that Mythrol. He's gotten you pretty riled up over the last couple years.
    What does our past conversations have to do with now? There was a time when I respected MM and had a lot of lively banter with him and many others on here.

That, however, was a long time and many MM meltdowns ago.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-15-2017 at 12:13 AM.

And you'd get destroyed.
    To be fair, pretty much every team would save maybe 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Basketball Guru
    And you'd get destroyed.

maybe we will,,,maybe we wont....

...GS dont have depth this year like past teams......opp teams dont make curry play defense and when you have a player that curry has to work both ways,,GS have problems.....AD,,jones,,,d-mo and say oakfor,,give us scoring at the 4 and 5 ......a hot streak from galloway......if buddy can put together double figures.....some 3s from dante....its a offensive game........all we have to do is dig down and play defense and it would be some good games.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    maybe we will,,,maybe we wont....

...GS dont have depth this year like past teams......opp teams dont make curry play defense and when you have a player that curry has to work both ways,,GS have problems.....AD,,jones,,,d-mo and say oakfor,,give us scoring at the 4 and 5 ......a hot streak from galloway......if buddy can put together double figures.....some 3s from dante....its a offensive game........all we have to do is dig down and play defense and it would be some good games.....
    They're still the best team in the league and the lineup you suggested wouldn't get us to the 8th seed. Not this year anyway.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We've been playing 4 on 5 for too long. We need a real center who can contribute every game.

I think Lopez would be perfect next to AD. He's one of the better centers in the league. If we can avoid giving up 2017 pick then I think it would be good to trade for him. It's not easy to get players like him.

If we get Lopez and the team does really well then maybe he will be a long term player for the Pelicans. Sure he's not 21 but he isn't in his last season. He probably has 6 years left before he retires. Maybe more. I see him being very good at least 4 more years.

If we get Lopez then we have to get lucky in this 2017 draft. I'm not giving up hope. I think we can turn it around but it's going to require luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    We've been playing 4 on 5 for too long. We need a real center who can contribute every game.

I think Lopez would be perfect next to AD. He's one of the better centers in the league. If we can avoid giving up 2017 pick then I think it would be good to trade for him. It's not easy to get players like him.

If we get Lopez and the team does really well then maybe he will be a long term player for the Pelicans. Sure he's not 21 but he isn't in his last season. He probably has 6 years left before he retires. Maybe more. I see him being very good at least 4 more years.

If we get Lopez then we have to get lucky in this 2017 draft. I'm not giving up hope. I think we can turn it around but it's going to require luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My question with Lopez is not whether he is a very good center, it is whether we have him for more than 1 year. He is 29 and going into the last year of his contract at $22.6 million. He will be 30 and up for a contract. Would we invest another $100-$120 million over the next 4 years to keep him at that age and with his past foot issues? If so, would we then have nearly 75% of our cap tied up in AD, Jrue and Lopez?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If those are the only two reasons then why are you spending so much time on these forums? Please feel free to go back to Tiger droppings or just leave all together.

For someone who says so often that this franchise is doomed, he's not a fan, etc you sure spend a lot of your time talking about it.

I couldn't imagine wasting as much of my life as you do on something I don't care about. Or maybe I have it wrong and Utah is just that boring.

As far as Lopez goes the trade just doesn't make sense, he is older and will still be due a big contract after next season. Imo it's all just a smokescreen due to Philly. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb fan dictated by emotions.
    This

Brook Lopez trade talks??? {edited}

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    My question with Lopez is not whether he is a very good center, it is whether we have him for more than 1 year. He is 29 and going into the last year of his contract at $22.6 million. He will be 30 and up for a contract. Would we invest another $100-$120 million over the next 4 years to keep him at that age and with his past foot issues? If so, would we then have nearly 75% of our cap tied up in AD, Jrue and Lopez?
    This is my issue with Lopez 100%. He won't push us over the top and would lock up a large portion of our cap.

Okafor is a cheap development piece. That's why so many people are for that over Lopez. He doesn't have a big impact on our cap and is young enough that can you expect more development from him. Can you ever expect him to be as good as Lopez? No, probably not. But he also doesn't hamstring our team cap wise.

Basically, if we thought we were one piece away, Lopez is 100% the right choice. However we aren't 1 piece away, so it's not a good trade at all.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-15-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Could we get Drummond? What would we have to give up? at least 2018 first a second this year, Tyreke ajinca or asik and Galloway? would that get it done?

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINION View Post
    Could we get Drummond? What would we have to give up? at least 2018 first a second this year, Tyreke ajinca or asik and Galloway? would that get it done?
    Unless we were willing to include our 2017 pick, I do not think the would even listen.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    I'm kind of curious where people stand on Drummond. I was trying to think of a package DET would be interested in. Would anyone do something like Buddy, Tyreke, and our 2017 pick for Drummond?
    We would have to put very light or non-existent protections on that pick and possibly include 2019's 1st rounder.
    Jrue dat

My issue with Lopez is that it's not what we need. He's to expensive and we will have to pay top dollar to keep in next offseason when the Pelicans aren't there yet as contenders. Honestly, I prefer we trade for Vucevic (I would give up a top 10 protected next year and a couple of pieces for him) but I think they want Okafor (who is basically a younger version of Brook Lopez).

The pelicans are not that off from being a playoff team next season if they play their hand right. They could be on to something if they get a coach that can make the right rotations, draft one of those wings (with a top 10 pick), resign Jrue (I know they are going to overpay for him), and stretch out Asik to free up cap for some depth players, and trade for either Okafor or Vucevic. This is what your team would look like:
    PG-Jrue Holiday
    SG-1st round draft pick
    SF-Solomon Hill
    PF-Anthony Davis
    C-Vucevic or Okafor
    Bench-Frasier (2nd team ball handler), Buddy (Scorer off the bench), Terrance Jones (small ball center and you have to resign him), and a veteran for stability and leadership.
    That looks like a 6th or 7th seed playoff team next year.

What maybe I haven't been clear enough about is that these next two trades will be as much about re-signing Holiday as it will be about the actual players they get. They want to go to him on July 1 and say, "Yeah, we only won 70 games the last two years, but we added Lopez in February and Gallinari on draft night. You and AD are hitting your primes and Buddy will take a leap. You are about to win big here!"

Now compare that to him trying to sell Jrue after two 30 win seasons and we brought a 19 year old on board!! They take that path and they probably lose Jrue. Now that you know their thought process, maybe you can understand the appeal of Lopez
    @mcnamara247

What maybe I haven't been clear enough about is that these next two trades will be as much about re-signing Holiday as it will be about the actual players they get. They want to go to him on July 1 and say, "Yeah, we only won 70 games the last two years, but we added Lopez in February and Gallinari on draft night. You and AD are hitting your primes and Buddy will take a leap. You are about to win big here!"

Now compare that to him trying to sell Jrue after two 30 win seasons and we brought a 19 year old on board!! They take that path and they probably lose Jrue. Now that you know their thought process, maybe you can understand the appeal of Lopez
    So, are you saying that a near max contract (as you have said will likely take to keep him) that no other team can offer is not enough?

He wouldn't get paid that much more by the Pels than he would by Philly over the next four years. Or New York. Or LA. It would be a negligible difference that they can make up in other areas easily

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Not helped by the fact that said 19 year old could very well be one of the five wunderkinds who happen to play the same position he does.

He wouldn't get paid that much more by the Pels than he would by Philly over the next four years. Or New York. Or LA. It would be a negligible difference that they can make up in other areas easily
    Trying to figure out how that would work.
    Ad - $23.8m
    Lopez - 22.6m
    Jrue - $30m
    That is $76.4 million of an estimated $103 million cap

Someone like a Gallinari would probably cost another $20+ million (as he is likely to be a FA next year if he opts out). Or, we could trade for a similar type player who makes his current salary ($16 million). That would mean we have 4 players eating up $92+ million of the cap and likely mean we would have to find someone to take Hill and/or Morre off of our hands as they make $12.2m and $8.5m respectively. That seems like a tough situation.

Common mistake everyone makes-- Jrue wouldn't count for 30. You sign him last. Then yeah resign Gallo and Lopez and you are a top heavy roster again.

Which is why I keep saying that with their plan and logic, it will never work. AKA-- doomed

Basketball Guru
    Common mistake everyone makes-- Jrue wouldn't count for 30. You sign him last. Then yeah resign Gallo and Lopez and you are a top heavy roster again.

Which is why I keep saying that with their plan and logic, it will never work. AKA-- doomed

i get the lopez thing...he is a better all around center over okafor.....so if the lopez thing dont work out then what is the plan for jrue?....will they still try and talk him into this is a good team in the off season or will they look to trade him?....

I realize you sign him last due to his rights, but you still have the rest of the roster to fill (or have expensive guys under contract already) and must avoid tax as well.

Yeah. But still you have a little room to operate and after that re-sign Jrue.
    He counts less against the cap.
    Of course it is best to agree with Jrue first. ..

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I realize you sign him last due to his rights, but you still have the rest of the roster to fill (or have expensive guys under contract already) and must avoid tax as well.
    Your top 4 plus Buddy and Diallo are around 100 mil, leaving you around 25 mil for the rest of the roster. I agree it wouldn't be pretty.

Other thing you can do is get Lopez now to lure Jrue back and then trade him next February and recoup most of what you gave up

And you'd get destroyed.
    You mean in a series or single game? They haven' even "destroyed" the current Pelicans team yet. And thats including games without Jrue playing.

And unless you are looking at Okafor with blinders on, I think he can be as good or better than Lopez on offense. He is just solid on that end.
    Last edited by luckyman; 02-15-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Thread Information