.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 170

Thread: Brook Lopez trade talks??? {edited}

  1. #126
    I think Lopez can play five more years at a high level dude has been tearing it up lately and I'm good with 2018 pick not a 2017 unprotected pick , only players I'm giving up a 2017 unprotected pick for is George or Butler .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #127
    We get rid of Asik, don't want Evans back anyway, probably make playoffs so our pick isn't worth diddly. The result is one more year to develop Diallo with Brook here, then let him walk. Otherwise you still have Asik on your books for 7 years. That sucks. Brook at least can play. Ad becomes more of a monster when Brook floats outside.
    Last edited by Silver Nail; 02-17-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spell

  3. #128
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    19,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I would offer Asik, Evans and our 2017 unprotected for Brook.
    Are you crazy? Unprotected in a strong draft for likely one year of Lopez? Pass

  4. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Are you crazy? Unprotected in a strong draft for likely one year of Lopez? Pass
    I like draft picks too. But you guys put way too much value on them. Look at history, I'm not even a little bit of a Dell fan, but proven players are worth something, draft picks are a crap shoot. But to answer your question, probably so, why else would I be wasting my time here.

  5. #130
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    19,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I like draft picks too. But you guys put way too much value on them. Look at history, I'm not even a little bit of a Dell fan, but proven players are worth something, draft picks are a crap shoot. But to answer your question, probably so, why else would I be wasting my time here.
    So, if that pick ends up in the top 3, you are telling me you would rather use it to pay $23 million for one season of Brook Lopez? No way would I do that.

  6. #131
    I would happily do top-3 protected because if you trade for Lopez, top 3 protected is essentially top-10 protected. But they are trying to trade the 2018 pick because they think it will be easier to get a player on draft night with the 2017 pick than the 2018 pick. But if Brooklyn doesn't budge, I wonder if they part with 2017.

    If they can make this deal, I think they swing Asik (to a third team) and their 2017 pick to Toronto for Carroll in June. Third team gets Asik and Clippers 2017 pick. This would be enough to to sway Jrue to re-sign and you go into next year with a very nice starting five, Hill, Moore, Diallo and hopefully hit on 2-3 more guys the way you hit on Frazier, DC, Jones, D-Mo, etc.

    This sounds like the best case scenario plan as of today. At least from their POV.
    @mcnamara247

  7. #132
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    19,117
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I would happily do top-3 protected because if you trade for Lopez, top 3 protected is essentially top-10 protected. But they are trying to trade the 2018 pick because they think it will be easier to get a player on draft night with the 2017 pick than the 2018 pick. But if Brooklyn doesn't budge, I wonder if they part with 2017.

    If they can make this deal, I think they swing Asik (to a third team) and their 2017 pick to Toronto for Carroll in June. Third team gets Asik and Clippers 2017 pick. This would be enough to to sway Jrue to re-sign and you go into next year with a very nice starting five, Hill, Moore, Diallo and hopefully hit on 2-3 more guys the way you hit on Frazier, DC, Jones, D-Mo, etc.

    This sounds like the best case scenario plan as of today. At least from their POV.
    I hope that is not their POV (although you have warned us that it likely is). I would not want to trade a 1st rounder for one year of Lopez and then another 1st rounder for Carroll. He is getting old and has not been anything special.

  8. #133
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    5,448
    Thanks Mike.

  9. #134
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,850
    So what type of team does Demps and company hope to create exactly? Because they don't seem to want anything to do with high potential and talent.
    Now I do voice overs. Finally!

    Click here for my first voice demo!

  10. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    So what type of team does Demps and company hope to create exactly? Because they don't seem to want anything to do with high potential and talent.
    They want the best of both worlds -- get sure things and then go get someone like Diallo with a lottery ticket. But right now they don't have the luxury to wait. Look at the last three drafts-- how many players can you say out of the 180(!) taken in those three drafts are really helping their team win right now? Not put up stats, but are a major reason why their team is winning?

  11. #136
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    19,117
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    They want the best of both worlds -- get sure things and then go get someone like Diallo with a lottery ticket. But right now they don't have the luxury to wait. Look at the last three drafts-- how many players can you say out of the 180(!) taken in those three drafts are really helping their team win right now? Not put up stats, but are a major reason why their team is winning?
    That is always going to be a low number given the few that make a team and the number of losing teams in the NBA. Honestly though, if you look at it like that, couldn't you say that there are at least 255 players already in the NBA who are not helping their teams win since there are 17 teams with losing records?

  12. #137
    When they select a player in the first round this year, I hope the usual suspects don't come on here with excuses about their wild rumors.

    It amazes me how people refuse to use their own critical thinking and just take completely wild rumors as fact.

    They aren't trading this 2017 pick.

  13. #138
    One benefit of going in for win now moves and becoming a regular playoff team, is that commitment to winning helps attract free agents. Something that is often complained about with this franchise. I'll be okay with whatever direction they take.

  14. #139
    Have they completely given up on pursuing Monroe?

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  15. #140
    Charter Member Contributor PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    19,117
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Have they completely given up on pursuing Monroe?
    He likely will be a FA after the season, so why trade for him now?

  16. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    When they select a player in the first round this year, I hope the usual suspects don't come on here with excuses about their wild rumors.

    It amazes me how people refuse to use their own critical thinking and just take completely wild rumors as fact.

    They aren't trading this 2017 pick.
    Possible they keep it. Nobody has said otherwise. They might not get value

    But what I can't wait to see is you dismissing this as "throwing stuff against a wall" if it does happen

    Just like I magically threw Diallo specifically against a wall an hour before it happened or Atlanta convos up against a wall three days before the big boys announced it

    If I was hooking you up with inside info you liked, I would be legit. But since you don't like the Intel, I am a fraud. So funny how that works

  17. #142
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,850
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    They want the best of both worlds -- get sure things and then go get someone like Diallo with a lottery ticket. But right now they don't have the luxury to wait. Look at the last three drafts-- how many players can you say out of the 180(!) taken in those three drafts are really helping their team win right now? Not put up stats, but are a major reason why their team is winning?
    Fair enough. But this draft isn't like those other drafts. I hope keeping the pick or a specific player is on the table.

    Even if it's like plan D.

  18. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    One benefit of going in for win now moves and becoming a regular playoff team, is that commitment to winning helps attract free agents. Something that is often complained about with this franchise. I'll be okay with whatever direction they take.
    Yeah sounds nice! However, it doesn't matter if your maxed out of cap because of contracts.

    Having a starting five of Carroll, AD, Jrue, Buddy, and Lopez is a good not great lineup. First, you have your core players that are peaking the same time with teams (Warriors, Cavs, Rockets, and Spurs) they are not better than. Second, why overpay for Lopez when you can get Okafor (who is basically a younger Lopez) or Vucevic for cheaper? Third, why do we constantly give up first round picks like we are so freaking close to being a championship team? The smartest and most logical move would be to build through the draft. Look at the Knicks (who consistently use FA to build teams) and look at the Spurs, Warriors, and Thunder (who built their team through the draft and add pieces through FA). Now, tell me what team should we try to follow?

  19. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Fair enough. But this draft isn't like those other drafts. I hope keeping the pick or a specific player is on the table.

    Even if it's like plan D.
    I have gone back over the last 8 drafts and count three guys who helped their team win in their first 2-3 years-- Kawhi, Rose, and AD. You might argue Draymond, but that was a perfect situation/ outlier. That's 3 or 4 out of 480. You are being far too optimistic about what a young guy can do. Especially if you don't have the #1 pick

    I LOVE Jackson but only guy who is gonna help his team win in first 2-3 years out of this draft is Fultz.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 02-17-2017 at 12:32 PM.

  20. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Possible they keep it. Nobody has said otherwise. They might not get value

    But what I can't wait to see is you dismissing this as "throwing stuff against a wall" if it does happen

    Just like I magically threw Diallo specifically against a wall an hour before it happened or Atlanta convos up against a wall three days before the big boys announced it

    If I was hooking you up with inside info you liked, I would be legit. But since you don't like the Intel, I am a fraud. So funny how that works
    Fair enough. I can agree with you about that. However, that's just the way the world works though.

    Then tell me (in your honest opinion and not that I'm saying your writing it in stone) what trade will most likely go through between Lopez and Okafor?

  21. #146
    I have no idea. I do not know the other offers or options on the table for the other 29 teams. For all I know Brooklyn might think they can get better offers on draft night

  22. #147
    Well that's a highly false presumption you make. I don't care if it is something I might like. If I see no credible evidence to support it, I'd probably just say nothing at all.

    What gets me is people trashing Dell and the organization behind this notion that they trade any and all draft picks in any circumstance.

    If this team was a legit playoff contender I'd even believe you. They aren't. My own thinking cap says there is no reason to trade this draft pick in 2017. Especially one where gems are supposed to be easier to find. This isn't 2013.

    I'd put money on it. No lie.

  23. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Possible they keep it. Nobody has said otherwise. They might not get value

    But what I can't wait to see is you dismissing this as "throwing stuff against a wall" if it does happen

    Just like I magically threw Diallo specifically against a wall an hour before it happened or Atlanta convos up against a wall three days before the big boys announced it

    If I was hooking you up with inside info you liked, I would be legit. But since you don't like the Intel, I am a fraud. So funny how that works
    Exactly! Tell us comforting lies instead! hahhaa

  24. #149
    If you had any clue which people I talked to and whose numbers were in my phone, you would realize how naive you sound. But that's fine, live in your bubble and hope for the best. I don't have the heart to take that away from people anymore

  25. #150
    Lopez / ____
    Davis / Diallo
    Carroll/ Hill
    Hield / Moore
    Holiday/ ____

    with switching 'small-ball options:

    Davis
    Carroll
    Hill
    Hield
    Holiday

    That's a solid team I could enjoy watching for the next few seasons, at least. Then when the older guys' contracts expire, we have cap room to sign younger free agents who have seen that the Pelicans are a good team in the mix every year. There sure would be a lot of whining about how every rookie drafted 10-30 had a good game and looks like the next ____, but it would be a fun, competitive team to watch, and hopefully we could draft a great player(s) who was overlooked with the 2nd round picks, to ease the hurt.
    Last edited by Rheem654; 02-17-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •