Pelicans Report

Thread: Orlando shopping Ibaka for 1st round pick?

NBA Orlando shopping Ibaka for 1st round pick?

Seven months and change later, Orlando is exploring all of its options anew. League sources say the Magic are fielding calls from a handful of teams on Ibaka as the deadline approaches, amid undeniable concern that retaining the Congo native in free agency come July will prove much trickier than initially anticipated.

Sources say Toronto and Miami are among the Eastern Conference teams that have expressed interest in Ibaka this month. More than one rival club has expressed the belief that Orlando will use the next 10 days before the deadline to keep fielding offers and then, ultimately, choose the best available package for Ibaka on Feb. 23 and make the move.

Can the Magic get a first-round pick for Ibaka from a team seeking a playoff-tested vet to add to its front-court rotation? Or can they get a quality player under 25 a la Oladipo?

Yea, he would be a great addition, but with the big contract he will get this offseason, it's unlikely the Pels will trade for him since they're set to offer a huge contract to Holiday.

Other teams discuss a deal.. it happens within a few days. Demps discuss a deal and play tug of war for the next 3 weeks.

The Magic basically traded Ilyasova, Oladipo and a first-round pick for Terrence Ross and a worse first-round pick one year later.

This was off of twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The Magic basically traded Ilyasova, Oladipo and a first-round pick for Terrence Ross and a worse first-round pick one year later.

This was off of twitter.
    True. But at least when their GM made a mistake he was able to recognize it and recoup some value.

Man I was just telling my buddy how Ibaka would be a peffect fit with the Raptors. I think landing Ibaka is huge for them. I wanted to see Milsap go there but Ibaka might be an even better fit with his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by UNPELIEVABLE View Post
    True. But at least when their GM made a mistake he was able to recognize it and recoup some value.
    Exactly. The people who look at it as cumulative trades- you can tell have never stepped into the business world. It doesn't matter what you paid-- the Magic GM had three options today: Do a deal like this, let him walk for nothing, or vastly over pay him

He made the right choice today. Did he make the wrong choice on draft night? Sure. But what can he do about that today?
    @mcnamara247

Ross and a first was a great deal after making that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    Ross and a first was a great deal after making that mistake.
    A great deal?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Are Jrue and Ibaka about even as commodities? Could Dell get a vet and a 1st for Jrue?

I would think we could get more from Jrue. Jrue is the better long term piece. Only drawback for a team interested in Jrue is the cost. I don't think many teams see Ibaka as a $20+ million player. I think there are teams (76ers) that will offer Jrue max or close to max. He is younger and has looked good over the past two years, where as Ibaka's impact has been declining.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Exactly. The people who look at it as cumulative trades- you can tell have never stepped into the business world. It doesn't matter what you paid-- the Magic GM had three options today: Do a deal like this, let him walk for nothing, or vastly over pay him

He made the right choice today. Did he make the wrong choice on draft night? Sure. But what can he do about that today?
    Sunk cost we keep hearing about so much. Dell doesn't appear to understand or cannot admit a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Sunk cost we keep hearing about so much. Dell doesn't appear to understand or cannot admit a mistake.
    Sunk cost? Neither does Loomis understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Sunk cost? Neither does Loomis understand.
    How so? He has rid the Saints of bad apples regardless of the sunk costs already invested.

He's a young and optimistic guy. Next FO position he gets, he will be better prepared. I like Dell and I liked his swing for the fences with bringing in young vets. Unfortunately, it was a swing and a miss, mostly due to injuries and fit.

I get the whole sunk cost thing, I just think Orlando has shown an incredible lack of foresight and direction over the last 3 years. Good for them for getting something for Ibaka, but jeeze they have no idea where they are headed and repeatedly have made moves that were considered head scratching at best the moment they happened.

Correct. Their GMs overall grade? D. Grade on this trade? B or B+

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    How so? He has rid the Saints of bad apples regardless of the sunk costs already invested.
    Byrd's contract? If he gives Ingram the max!

Byrd's contract? If he gives Ingram the max!
    Never gave Ingram the max (or anything close). Byrd's contract could not be terminated until at least this year as it would have sent them over the cap due to dead money. That is not a "sunk cost" issue.

To quote Gerry V,

"Would you trust Mickey Loomis with your credit/debit cards?"

To quote Gerry V,

"Would you trust Mickey Loomis with your credit/debit cards?"
    That still has nothing to do with sunk cost. In fact, all the dead money we've had lately proves the exact opposite.

I would think we could get more from Jrue. Jrue is the better long term piece. Only drawback for a team interested in Jrue is the cost. I don't think many teams see Ibaka as a $20+ million player. I think there are teams (76ers) that will offer Jrue max or close to max. He is younger and has looked good over the past two years, where as Ibaka's impact has been declining.
    You are so wrong on so many things I don't even know where to begin.
    I would think we could get more from Jrue. FALSE. RAPTORS ARE DESPERATE SO THEY THREW RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF ASSETS TO ORLANDO FOR IBAKA. NO TEAM IS SO DESPERATE FOR A HOLIDAY TO GIVE A SOLID PLAYER ON SOLID CONTRACT AND 1ST FOR 2 MONTHS RENTAL PG. STRETCH 4 IN DEMAND, PGs - NOT.

Jrue is the better long term piece. DOESN'T MATTER, BOTH EXPIRINGS, REST DON'T MATTER.

I don't think many teams see Ibaka as a $20+ million player. FALSE. IT TAKES 1 TEAM TO SEE HIM AS 30M PLAYER AND HE'LL BE A 30M PLAYER.

I think there are teams (76ers) that will offer Jrue max or close to max. SO WHY WOULD THEY TRADE ANY ASSETS FOR 2 MONTHS OF JRUE NOW WHEN THEY GONNA THROW MAX THIS SUMMER ANYWAY? NOT LIKE 76ERS ARE PUSHING TO WIN IT ALL THIS SEASON.
    Last edited by I Hate T.Jones!; 02-15-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Thread Information