Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Jusuf Nurkic Thread!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar

The Jusuf Nurkic Thread!

So obviously we are looking to add a center. It's becoming apparent AD can't take the beating and doesn't want to take the beating. As per usual, we are stuck with trying to win now while also not completely mortgaging our future. Hence, the Okafor rumors. But in my opinion, the guy that makes even more sense is Jusuf Nurkic.

Fans of other teams don't tend to realize what we all know. AD is much more of an offensive player than defensive. The true fit needed with AD is a rugged, defensive center that rebounds and doesn't shrink the floor on offense. Nurkic does all of those things, with one exception. While he is a very capable offensive player, he is not the perfect shooter you may want to spread things out. But he is a two way player for sure.

6'11
    280 pounds
    22 years old
    Drafted 16th overall in the 2014 draft

Under contract for one more season after this one, then a RFA.

Per 36 minutes numbers for this year of:

16.1 points, 11.6 rebounds, 51% FG

He's been a horrid free throw shooter, so you are probably looking at small ball lineups to close games.

Thoughts on Nurkic? Would you make a similar offer for him over Okafor?

its all about what we need to give up. I would rather give up 2-3 first rounders for a superstar like Butler, thank one for Nurkic.

I think the over/under on an offer would be Ajinca, Sixers 2017 second and Pels 2018 top ten or lottery protected pick.

DENVER has a payroll this year of just $77,886,202. They need to get above $84,000,000 something to avoid paying a penalty for not spending the league minimum. They might take Asik just to break that floor number. Ajinca would get them close and allow them to make another trade to get above the league floor.
    I like Nurkic. My question is does he run well enough to play our pace?
    I would trade Ajinca or Asik (obviously) and Tyreke (Bird rights to resign) + our 2018 first Top 12 protected for Nurkic
    Then this summer on Draft Night pick for Chicago and trade that player for Jimmy Butler or Paul George.

Thanks o/p for starting this thread. To balance out this forum, I'm gonna go make a thread as well to deliver on my promise.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I think the over/under on an offer would be Ajinca, Sixers 2017 second and Pels 2018 top ten or lottery protected pick.
    Wait, so more than was reportedly offered for Okafor? I would not do that. He is on the outs with Denver and they are looking to move him. I would not want to part with that much.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wait, so more than was reportedly offered for Okafor? I would not do that. He is on the outs with Denver and they are looking to move him. I would not want to part with that much.
    It's the same offer, only a second rounder added. And the difference is, Nurkic has the ability to play defense, rebound and protect the rim, while being slightly less effective on offense. More well-rounded balanced player, although the reports of him being very moody and kind of giving up and not playing very well once he was benched, is a bit concerning. But sounded like there was some big miscommunications with coach Malone that led to that.

I know for a fact you can get Nurkic for way less than that
    @mcnamara247

Let's not forget that offer has not been accepted. Denver is in a playoff chase, and would be trading a recent first round pick of their's. If we don't make he playoffs next year(very possible), Denver would have gotten nothing but the contract of Ajinca for two years. The second at least ensures they receive something immediate for the trade, and makes the protection on the future pick easier to swallow.

Like I said, this is the over/under. My guess on the mark line neither side is comfortable crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I know for a fact you can get Nurkic for way less than that
    That's great. I hope so. I wonder why we haven't made that sort of move then.

Yea if that's the case, let's hope he's high on their list. It could possibly be maturity/attitude concerns with him.

Wait didn't I read he just got hurt??

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    Wait didn't I read he just got hurt??
    Na, don't think so. You probably saw Jokic was out a bit with the hip injury.

Probably because they are doing their due diligence see what else they can get. Or they aren't huge fans. Or there needs to be a third team etc. My question is, what do they need to add in to also get one of Denver's wings?

A deal like Ajinca Reke and Galloway plus 2017 top 3 protected and 2018 swap rights for Chandler, Nurkic, and Barton could get it done

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Na, don't think so. You probably saw Jokic was out a bit with the hip injury.
    You're probably right. I just remember reading they wanted to trade one of them bc he didn't fit with the other then he got hurt

A deal like Ajinca Reke and Galloway plus 2017 top 3 protected and 2018 swap rights for Chandler, Nurkic, and Barton could get it done
    Woof that sounds like a Kings trade. It would make us immediately better and theoretically the 2018 swap wouldn't matter. In that case it makes sense why they haven't pulled the trigger. They probably want to see what else they can get if they put 2017 on the table.

Hmm, interesting...could add three big minute players in one trade, although not all-star types, but definitely starter-types.

Nurkic / D-Mo
    Davis / Diallo
    Chandler/ Hill
    Hield / Barton
    Holiday / Moore/ Frazier

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Hmm, interesting...could add three big minute players in one trade, although not all-star types, but definitely starter-types.

Nurkic / D-Mo
    Davis / Diallo
    Chandler/ Hill
    Hield / Barton
    Holiday / Moore/ Frazier
    Yeah, and if they seriously think we can still make the playoffs that line up could realistically do it

Yeah, and if they seriously think we can still make the playoffs that line up could realistically do it
    Yea, but thinking more about it, Denver would be trading away two of their best players, and three of their best defensive players, and bringing in three worse defenders. They're in the 8th seed right now, so to make a trade like this they would either have to really have trust in their remaining players, or be giving up on the 8th seed this year. And it also would make Pelicans better for the rest of the season, which would be more of a chance of the Pels pick being 10-16 or so.

Jokic/ Ajinca
    Faried/ Arthur/ Hernangomez
    Gallinari/ Evans
    Harris/ Galloway
    Mudiay/ Murray

That doesn't really sound like less to me. I would want a better protection than top 3 in this draft. Personally I would not want to trade the 2017 pick in order to keep our options open on draft day. Nurkic is not a sure thing, Chandler is pretty good for the short term but is almost 30 and Barton is pretty good and young. However, I wouldn't do that deal.

That doesn't really sound like less to me. I would want a better protection than top 3 in this draft. Personally I would not want to trade the 2017 pick in order to keep our options open on draft day. Nurkic is not a sure thing, Chandler is pretty good for the short term but is almost 30 and Barton is pretty good and young. However, I wouldn't do that deal.
    Me either.

I realize we aren't trading Moore in the theoretical, but does everyone think Barton is better than E'Twaun Moore? Just curious.

I realize we aren't trading Moore in the theoretical, but does everyone think Barton is better than E'Twaun Moore? Just curious.
    The proposal would be Galloway though

The proposal would be Galloway though
    Hence why I said I realize we wouldnt be trading Moore in the theoretical.

Thread Information