Pelicans Report

Thread: Outside The Box: Milos Teodosic

Outside The Box: Milos Teodosic

It seems if Zach Lowe is correct, the organization is not completely confident in Jrue coming back. With Evans injury history and his own vagueness about re-signing(and the Pels own vagueness on their desire to do so), we are in a bit of a spot right now. Having a star player looking to win now, an organization looking to execute a mini-rebuild, increase the win column every year, and prevent the bottom from falling out on all that. Unfortunately stuck in a situation that is making that look more and more fleeting.

We don't have the cap space to get many of the PG alternatives to Jrue and Evans in FA if they walk(most seem like they are staying put, will get overpaid or will be seen as major downgrades). Maybe there is an outside shot at a blockbuster trade that could bring back a young veteran like McCollum on a longer contract, but that seems low. The likelihood of my preference(trading both for draft assets and clearing cap space) seems even more unlikely due to ownership/GM reasons.

To compound it all, with the rash of injuries on teams vying for the 8th seed and the Clippers situation, we may not have the fortune to get high enough in the lottery to grab one of the elite PG prospects, if we can get in at all.... Yet could realistically see both players walk in spite of that. Even with some lottery luck, players take time to develop. So are there any missed avenues in the Pelicans limited range of movement that could open up the possibility of satisfying the difficult task at hand? Especially in the worst case scenario of losing both players for nothing and missing the lottery sweet spot?

One idea that is intriguing me revolves around this guy:

Milos Teodosic

Over the last 12 months, Serbian point guard Milos Teodosic has been perhaps the best basketball player in the world outside of the NBA. Since January of 2016, Teodosic has led his Russian club, CSKA Moscow, to a Euroleague title, led Serbia to the gold medal game of the 2016 Rio Olympics, and in 2016-2017 has CSKA Moscow on target to make their sixth consecutive Euroleague Final 4 since he joined the squad.

Teodosic has already won a Euroleague MVP in 2010, and at 29-years old, appears to be the favorite to win his second this season, averaging 16.9 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 7.6 assists per game.
    Teodosic has long been a player on NBA radars. He flirted with a contract offer from the Memphis Grizzlies in 2013, and last summer was briefly courted by the Brooklyn Nets, although those overtures never really went anywhere. The NBA has long been a dream for him, and he came out and said as much in an interview this week with Mozzartsport.

"2016 was my best year. I will go to the NBA for sure, but I still don’t know when, in which club and on what terms. We’ll see. CSKA Moscow certainly has an advantage in the negotiations of a new contract…I like to play and I don’t like to sit on the bench and I would not agree to any contract if I have to sit on the bench. This is my condition for going to the NBA.
    For Teodosic, jumping to the NBA would be a no-brainer. He’ll be a free agent this summer, free to explore his options without the complication of a buyout. He’s also accomplished nearly everything you can at the European level: Euroleague champion and MVP (possibly twice after this season), two-time VTB League MVP, two-time Greek Cup MVP, and five All-Euroleague team nominations. At this point, Teodosic has solidified his reputation as one of the top three or four European players of this generation. Setting sights on a new challenge as he walks into the last few years of his prime makes sense.
    http://fansided.com/2017/01/19/milos...-nba-for-sure/

An additional write up talking about how, amongst other things, NBA GM's voted him the best international player.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/meet-mi...193837654.html

Now by no means am I saying this guy, a 29 year old with spotty english who has never played in the NBA, is a sure thing. For one his biggest knock is defense, and that is putting it lightly. He could bust out pretty realistically or struggle to adjust to the NBA world. Not to mention by the time FA comes around, his price could get pushed up out of our reach(though I don't think that will happen because of those factors I listed). But he at least offers a few things, and if the Pelicans do lose Holiday and Evans and we don't have a clear replacement lined up already from a trade, we also have a few unique pitches that could give us an edge and maybe keep that price affordable. Which could bring in a player that if he can translate his game to the NBA could be a really solid player.

For the organization he could be sold as replacing Jrue and Evans with an intriguing international player with major credentials that can be sold to AD as someone to try and still get him wins.

To Milos we can sell him on the one thing he desires most: playing time. With the added sweetener of playing with AD and having the opportunity to be a franchise face.

In my wishful thinking mind, the possibility of a Milos out there could maybe give Demps and Co. a little more cushion to trade Jrue and Evans(if they seemingly want out) for draft assets and cap clearing knowing a face-saving move we would be uniquely positioned to pitch him on is out there now(I know that is far-fetched thinking, but I will do it anyways lol).

Finally, even if we lucked into Ball or Fultz, they likely will have a learning curve that could keep AD frustrated and Milos could be a relatively low risk gamble to create a bridge...or maybe more. Eventually being moved to a 6th or 7th man role.

It's just an idea stemming from a growing interest in a player I was not familiar with til recently but like more and more given our circumstance.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-20-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Banned
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I've heard he doesn't want to come to the NBA and is fine in Europe

Shame coz he is a beast

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I've heard he doesn't want to come to the NBA and is fine in Europe

Shame coz he is a beast
    I decided to post this specifically because he is saying publicly in interviews he is likely coming to the NBA since he is becoming a free agent this summer.

2016 was my best year. I will go to the NBA for sure, but I still don’t know when, in which club and on what terms. We’ll see. CSKA Moscow certainly has an advantage in the negotiations of a new contract…I like to play and I don’t like to sit on the bench and I would not agree to any contract if I have to sit on the bench. This is my condition for going to the NBA.”
    He is basically saying, if you give me playing time I will likely come to the NBA. Since he is also likely going to get a better offer in the NBA, I think the only thing that is going to prevent it now is injury or no team willing to offer a major playing time role.

Honestly, as one of the articles pointed out, I think the dark horse suitor will be SA. Messina coached him and with Parker getting up there and Mills likely gone, they would be the one team we would certainly lose to in a battle for him based around opportunity.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-20-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Under the conditions you lay out I don't see why not. Of course I still hold out hope that ownership embraces a full re build.

As an European know him much.

He is a nice player. One of the best PG in Europe.
    He values himself much. financially and about his role with the team.

He might be a cancer inside locker room if not playing.

basketball wise he is great in offense and terrible in defense. in his European clubs he usually had partners who helped to hide his limitations.
    so ideally he can fluorish with good defenders.

his contract is around 3 millions dollars/year
    Sergio Rodriguez received around the same in Europe and was given 10 by Philly

ideally he will lead your second line of players (but he will not like it)
    and might be declining a little bit (his age)

In Pelicans situation I will pass...

From the sounds of he sounds like he has Rubio like ability in terms of passing, but rubbish defence. Better shooter, but not spectacular. That won't be enough in the NBA, point guard is stacked, he could definetely play a Rondo on an 08 celtic's team, but if you're counting on him to be a Jrue replacement, I think it won't end well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Pass. I don't want any unproven nba player demanding starting minutes as a condition to come here.

What does he add that Frazier doesn't already?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Can't be Ricky Rubio without the defense.

Pass, a thousand times. I want a dynamic point guard if we're moving on from Jrue. Guy who will get to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Pass. I don't want any unproven nba player demanding starting minutes as a condition to come here.

What does he add that Frazier doesn't already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Can't be Ricky Rubio without the defense.

Pass, a thousand times. I want a dynamic point guard if we're moving on from Jrue. Guy who will get to the basket.
    How do you get that though? Like I said, we have to be realistic. This team is sticking themselves in a really difficult position. Cap space is limited and we are trending to fall out of the sweet spot for the top PG's in the draft. This FA class if Jrue walks is basically Shaun Livingston and Raymond Felton.

Just sticking to Frazier is certainly one possibility. But Frazier does not have the offensive fire power Milos has. And that is something this team could use. Plus we will need to add a player anyways. Ideally Milos is a relatively reasonable cost bridge between the first Demps era and whatever is next. That is a decent prospect in his own right but could be a major value find.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Under the conditions you lay out I don't see why not. Of course I still hold out hope that ownership embraces a full re build.
    Barring a miracle that doesn't kill us on draining assets(like three first rounders) and gets us a player like McCollum or even less realistic, a Butler, I am right there with you. I just do not see this owner or GM seeing it that way.

Even if they were behind the scenes willing to commit more to a mini rebuild I think publicly they will want to signal in some way that they are still trying to really win.

In my ideal world we trade Jrue and Evans to get draft picks, shed some bad assets and try and get in the top 5 of the draft. I still like bringing in Milos under that situation but I would certainly prefer a different direction then the one it seems like we are going.

But Frazier has shown to be able to play in the NBA. In 29 minutes a game last year he averaged 13+. He just doesnt have a high usage. He's also much younger than this guy.

I simply don't see the benefit of bring this guy in *IF* he's really going to stick to his demand to want to be a starter. Take a flyer on him as a backup? Sure. As long as it doesnt cost much.

But I think people really need to wrap their head around the idea that we will pay Jrue what needs to be paid to keep him if he's not traded . We have his bird rights and will outbid anyone to keep him. I see no scenario where we allow Jrue to walk unless he lied to us and wants to screw over the team by telling them he will resign and refuse. But I don't think he'd do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    But Frazier has shown to be able to play in the NBA. In 29 minutes a game last year he averaged 13+. He just doesnt have a high usage. He's also much younger than this guy.

I simply don't see the benefit of bring this guy in *IF* he's really going to stick to his demand to want to be a starter. Take a flyer on him as a backup? Sure. As long as it doesnt cost much.

But I think people really need to wrap their head around the idea that we will pay Jrue what needs to be paid to keep him if he's not traded . We have his bird rights and will outbid anyone to keep him. I see no scenario where we allow Jrue to walk unless he lied to us and wants to screw over the team by telling them he will resign and refuse. But I don't think he'd do that.
    I never said it wasn't a risk. In fact half my post spoke directly to that. Frazier though is about where he will ever be. An undersized PG with above average passing and tepid but semi efficient offensive output and awful defense. The upside on Milos is much higher IMO. A superior passer by all accounts and a much more polished offensive threat. Though with similar defensive deficiencies.

And just to be clear, this was a thread about offering another avenue to our limited range of motion that tries to satisfy some of the real competing threads. That does in fact have some good upside and less risk then many FA acquisitions.

Of course if we commit to paying Jrue whatever, like Lowe speculated could happen, then of course Milos is off the table. I said as much already. But it also seems we do have a ceiling with Jrue's price and some internal questions about his fit, that is more then just speculation.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Milos is 30-31 right? He absolutely does NOT have a high upside. Guys who play in Europe for extensive periods usually don't show a ton of development anyway.

I also argue that Frazier is absolutely just as good of a passer as Milos and is proven in the NBA. Maybe, MAYBE he can score better but that's an unknown against NBA talent all year.

But ignoring all of this there are two issues that I have that I didn't see you address: 1) His demand to start. 2) His cost.

I appreciate you thinking outside the box and looking for another alternative. I just disagree that it's a good or viable alternative unless he's willing to cave on his demand and his cost is lower. I wouldn't offer him more than he's already making in Europe and I don't see him accepting that.

Oh also, what internal rumblings of Jrue not being a good fit? I've heard nothing other than them saying resigning Jrue is a priority. You sure you're not thinking of Tyreke?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 01-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.

No way would I go with this guy as our starting PG and only option at what will be 30 years old as well. I have been a fan of this guy for a while but IMO you bring him here as a back up 6th man role and let him prove further. A healthy Jrue is going to be a tradeable player and someone we should keep unless we have the ability to draft Fultz. Teodosic can replace Reke/Frazier and play a Ginobli type role for us. If we want to be a great team it's going to be with a guy like this is a bench role not as a face of the franchise with AD.

Thread Information