Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Holiday to be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    God, please. I was in love with him going into the draft. Still a big fan. Fills a lot of our current needs.
    Yeah, I was a huge fan too. That returning to school rather than coming out early really screwed him up. After that tourney performance he was a shoe in as a top 5 pick.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...-for-everyone/

From the legend, MM.

Holiday+ 2017 1st + filler
    for
    CJ McCullom
    I am sure the Blazers would trade a budding star for an oft-injured point guard on an expiring contract and a possible late lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Its good to see everyone is finally seeing what I been saw, its been lonely up here.
    What is that exactly?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Its good to see everyone is finally seeing what I been saw, its been lonely up here.
    What? About a Jrue trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I am sure the Blazers would trade a budding star for an oft-injured point guard on an expiring contract and a possible late lottery pick.
    There is actually lots of rumblings that the Blazers are considering moving McCollum. Thinking being(and I don't disagree), that the team can't get to being a championship caliber team with that defensive back court. Sort of like the Monta Ellis/Steph Curry situation. But McCollum is much better IMO.

The real question is:

- Are the Blazers even interested in Jrue? He makes sense next to Lillard defensively, but they also talk about front court help.

- Is our offer(or the offer we could give) better then any other team? TD board mentioned Philly a lot and they make sense too. Probably could offer more too.

Philly could offer a LOT more. They have a lot of young talent (Noel, Okafor) as well as many valuable draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Philly could offer a LOT more. They have a lot of young talent (Noel, Okafor) as well as many valuable draft picks.
    Neither Noel of Okafor have proven anything yet, and they have both been very underwhelming since entering the league. Jrue gives them a top-5 defensive PG who is better off the ball than he is on the ball (perfect to pair with Lillard). Plus, they get a lottery pick in a stacked draft. If you step back from the shock of us potentially getting McCollum, it does make some sense.

All that being said, you can take it for fact that it's being discussed right now. MM is known to have sources in the front office. Will it happen? Probably not. But it's being discussed.

He won't be but he should I think he walks this off season.
    MM?

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Neither Noel of Okafor have proven anything yet, and they have both been very underwhelming since entering the league. Jrue gives them a top-5 defensive PG who is better off the ball than he is on the ball (perfect to pair with Lillard). Plus, they get a lottery pick in a stacked draft. If you step back from the shock of us potentially getting McCollum, it does make some sense.

All that being said, you can take it for fact that it's being discussed right now. MM is known to have sources in the front office. Will it happen? Probably not. But it's being discussed.
    You seem to greatly overvalue Jrue and undervalue Noel/Okafor. I agree Noel/Okafor have not reached their peak yet, but Jrue may have (and has a long history of injuries and will be due about $20+ million a season).

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What? About a Jrue trade?
    I've been calling for a Jrue trade, sometimes you have to trade value to get better something Dell doesn't do. Jrue is a decent player but he is not the guy we can call a franchise player like they have been. He's a solid pg and it would be terrible for us to pay him 25 mil even though I don't think he's staying. Since Jrue has came here his game hasn't really improved so he is what he is at them is point. If we didn't give up so much for Jrue I don't this team would have held him so highly as they did with his production. While Tyreke will likely got 10 mil less than Jrue and has improve and has proven to win games. Although now I'm starting to think he won't stay with because he's been treated like an unwanted step child by the franchise while they've been touting Jrue as the guy when he hasn't gave nearly the production Tyreke had. They were ready to throw Tyreke to the side this season.

1-6

If Jrue were not good he would not be "due" 20m+/yr this offseason. He has value, clearly not as much as CJ for the reasons you list, but he is valuable. The biggest issue with trading him is he is expiring so we can't hope to recoup a big haul for him even if he does have value.

The ideal situation would be to trade Tyreke for a pick or in some package for a wing player, use all available money in the off season, then sign Jrue over the cap using Bird Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If Jrue were not good he would not be "due" 20m+/yr this offseason. He has value, clearly not as much as CJ for the reasons you list, but he is valuable. The biggest issue with trading him is he is expiring so we can't hope to recoup a big haul for him even if he does have value.

The ideal situation would be to trade Tyreke for a pick or in some package for a wing player, use all available money in the off season, then sign Jrue over the cap using Bird Rights.
    Even Zach Lowe stated Jrue is a 15 mil player but hr will get paid because he's a prototypical pg who can fit on any team. Add that to he's the only FA PG who is likely to not stay with his current teams and NYK, Philly, and Sac will all be bidding for him who lacks talent and has money to blow. Philly would easily pay Jrue 25 mil to help guide their rookies and is best as a secondary ball handler next to Ben. You won't net much in a Tyreke trade he bring more to a team than he's worth.

I was with you my brother.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I've been calling for a Jrue trade, sometimes you have to trade value to get better something Dell doesn't do. Jrue is a decent player but he is not the guy we can call a franchise player like they have been. He's a solid pg and it would be terrible for us to pay him 25 mil even though I don't think he's staying. Since Jrue has came here his game hasn't really improved so he is what he is at them is point. If we didn't give up so much for Jrue I don't this team would have held him so highly as they did with his production. While Tyreke will likely got 10 mil less than Jrue and has improve and has proven to win games. Although now I'm starting to think he won't stay with because he's been treated like an unwanted step child by the franchise while they've been touting Jrue as the guy when he hasn't gave nearly the production Tyreke had. They were ready to throw Tyreke to the side this season.
    Not about to rehash the old Jrue/Evans arguments 100 more times, I still think Jrue is the superior player and fit for Davis/team/Buddy as he can fit in with whatever direction we go. The problem is things are more complicated then that now. The context of our situation makes it difficult to see how committing to either is a wise decision anymore.

There is no and never was a guarantee either of these players would stay here. Durant left OKC despite being treated like a king and showing a lot more interest then either of these two have with staying with this team. But that was one of the inherent risks to Demps(and ownership's) strategy to win-now. Getting 4 year contract guys that can walk vs guys you can control for 9 years and can more easily get out from under.

And neither have proven they are "that" player that we absolutely want to retain to get to where we want to go. I will say that if Evans can be had for that cheap, he would have a better value for production then Jrue. But is going in that direction and committing to him the best option moving forward for this franchise? He hasn't proven that yet to me. Since it is certain he would want the starting PG role to stay. And I do not see how him and Buddy would be anything but a really ugly defensive backcourt. With neither player able to contain the wealth of athletic PG's in the league. Synergy matters.

In my mind there are a few broad directions you can go:

- Double down. Offer overpays for both Jrue and Evans and gamble they both say yes. Very risky. I think the probability is low and we haven't done much to even see if they can work together long-term.

- Look to move both and see what the market can get you. Maybe that is another lottery pick and moving some bad contracts. Maybe its bundling more assets in a multi-team trade for someone like CJ McCollum. I think this is the most promising and risk spreading move.

- Pick one and try and move the other(or let them walk). Harm likely draft position but then use that pick in another trade OR use it to hopefully draft another player that will work with your core of Davis, Jrue(or Evans), and Buddy.

I think two is the best option, but one branching path on that road is to get more lottery picks and move bad contracts. A mini rebuild through the draft because it has the highest ceiling and cost containment. That I don't think ownership will allow(or Demps will consider).
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Not about to rehash the old Jrue/Evans arguments 100 more times, I still think Jrue is the superior player and fit for Davis/team/Buddy as he can fit in with whatever direction we go. The problem is things are more complicated then that now. The context of our situation makes it difficult to see how committing to either is a wise decision anymore.

There is no and never was a guarantee either of these players would stay here. Durant left OKC despite being treated like a king and showing a lot more interest then either of these two have with staying with this team. But that was one of the inherent risks to Demps(and ownership's) strategy to win-now. Getting 4 year contract guys that can walk vs guys you can control for 9 years and can more easily get out from under.

And neither have proven they are "that" player that we absolutely want to retain to get to where we want to go. I will say that if Evans can be had for that cheap, he would have a better value for production then Jrue. But is going in that direction and committing to him the best option moving forward for this franchise? He hasn't proven that yet to me. Since it is certain he would want the starting PG role to stay. And I do not see how him and Buddy would be anything but a really ugly defensive backcourt. With neither player able to contain the wealth of athletic PG's in the league. Synergy matters.

In my mind there are a few broad directions you can go:

- Double down. Offer overpays for both Jrue and Evans and gamble they both say yes. Very risky. I think the probability is low and we haven't done much to even see if they can work together long-term.

- Look to move both and see what the market can get you. Maybe that is another lottery pick and moving some bad contracts. Maybe its bundling more assets in a multi-team trade for someone like CJ McCollum. I think this is the most promising and risk spreading move.

- Pick one and try and move the other(or let them walk). Harm likely draft position but then use that pick in another trade OR use it to hopefully draft another player that will work with your core of Davis, Jrue(or Evans), and Buddy.
    The only positive I'm picking Tyreke over Jrue is due to cost and production. Also Tyreke isnt a bad defender, he's actually a good one when he tries. But like I said after 3 years of being treated as the step child and being shunded from the org this off season (Tim Fraizer was given a seat section over him and the FO saying he wasn't in the plans) I'm sure there is a lot of bad blood there. You show up and win the team games but all they do is rave about Jrue and call Jrue an AD the cornerstones when you did all the heavy lifting. In short I think Jrue walks anyway also, his career has been derailed here. He may be looking at Gordon thinking its time for a change for him too. He also has given 0 indication that he wants to stay.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 01-19-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Banned
    If we don't get a low draft pick this year or look like picking up a free agent that fills a need, then re-sign both using bird rights. I think Jrue can work as lead guard and Reke as 6th man/leader of the second unit.

Plus AD loves Jrue so re-signing him gives him more incentive to stay.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Multiple reports on the internet say Holiday could be traded to the 76ers. I wonder what we could get in return. I would want to find a way to get a pick.

We have to get a new pg. I think Jrue will leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Completely misleading heading. AND, all of your so called MULTIPLE internet reports originated from the same article .

The only positive I'm picking Tyreke over Jrue is due to cost and production. Also Tyreke isnt a bad defender, he's actually a good one when he tries. But like I said after 3 years of being treated as the step child and being shunded from the org this off season (Tim Fraizer was given a seat section over him and the FO saying he wasn't in the plans) I'm sure there is a lot of bad blood there. You show up and win the team games but all they do is rave about Jrue and call Jrue an AD the cornerstones when you did all the heavy lifting. In short I think Jrue walks anyway also, his career has been derailed here. He may be looking at Gordon thinking its time for a change for him too. He also has given 0 indication that he wants to stay.
    He hasn't shown in any capacity that he can be a good defender of the more athletic, shifty PG's. He just doesn't have the natural instincts or the athleticism.

I mean just imagine Evans/Hield trying to contain: Lillard/McCollum, Westbrook/whoever, Curry/Thompson, Irving/whoever, Wall/Beal, Isaiah/Bradley. I know the first comment is no one can consistently guard them, but it is matters of degree. And team defense wise, it looks pretty flawed.

And lets also keep in mind history, Evans was brought in to be a "Manu" type. It was Evans who after-the-fact(like I suspect is happening now with his recent PR about accepting any roles) voiced displeasure with coming off the bench under Monty. Something he once again re-iterated the truth of recently in trying to re-market himself going into FA. And lets also remember why Evans has not played much recently. The multiple knee surgeries! Injuries he has battled all career.

15 or 25 million, we would be anchoring our flexibility and our success to a player with major injury concerns and is hard to envision a good defense around. If things were a bit different I would love to have Evans as a sixth man if he would accept it. But i've always felt that way.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-19-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Banned
    Would Evans start at any other team in the league?

Knicks? Philly? Brooklyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Would Evans start at any other team in the league?

Knicks? Philly? Brooklyn?
    He could start for the knicks

I love Jrue. Would miss him. Would rather we keep him but would be crushed if he left for nothing

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Completely misleading heading. AND, all of your so called MULTIPLE internet reports originated from the same article .
    Huh? I shared info. It's a rumor that is obviously legit.

I strongly believe that Jrue is going to re-sign for $20-21 million.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Who knows what's going on. If we move Jrue we need to get a player and a pick

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Demps HAS to have a clear understanding from Jrue about his offseason intentions over the next 2 weeks. If AD wants him here, they both have to sit him down and have this conversation now, not later.

It's not sufficient for Jrue to say he's not thinking about it or for Dell to say he'll wait and see and hope to resign him. Often times all sides involved will acknowledge that this is a business, and in business you don't assume the risk of losing an asset for nothing.

Jrue is not Durant and the Pelicans are not currently contending for anything. Nobody owes him the ability to explore his options. If he won't commit, you shake hands and wish him well and open the market to the best offer you can get before the deadline.

Thread Information