Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If We're Going to Tank, We Need to Start Now

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Both were sign and trades which are completely different than outright signing FA's.
    Fair point

On July 11, 2012, Anderson was acquired by the New Orleans Hornets in a sign-and-trade deal that sent Gustavo AyĆ³n to the Magic
    Most lopsided trade ever?

Signing Ryno was great luck.
    All of the league expected Ryno to re -sign with Magic. And Dell came with big offer which was too big for Magic. And they took Ayon in s&t because they wanted to stay with something from the trade...

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Signing Ryno was great luck.
    All of the league expected Ryno to re -sign with Magic. And Dell came with big offer which was too big for Magic. And they took Ayon in s&t because they wanted to stay with something from the trade...
    I wish we would sign and trade our FA, at least get something for them.

Someone tell me why are people talking about Diallo like he's any good? Have you seen him in games? Takes only long 2 jumpers, can't make any of them and doesnt do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by I Hate T.Jones! View Post
    Someone tell me why are people talking about Diallo like he's any good? Have you seen him in games? Takes only long 2 jumpers, can't make any of them and doesnt do anything else.
    He tries..... and sadly that sets him apart. And he's got an enormous wing span and a soft touch. He's not good now, but it's not hard to picture a productive player in a year or two.

Based on his sample size of 19 shots from 10 feet out to the 3point line?

Which to be clear he is shooting 50% on? 62% on jumpers 16 feet out.

Yeah, I'm intrigued(I emphasis intrigued because, yeah, 19 shots). Sorry you aren't lol.

So every player that plays DeMo position will be hated now? Will it be like with Jimmer now? I really hope not. I hope DeMo starts playing great but please don't ruin this forum

The Franchise
    It's crazy but we are a 1.5 games back of the 8 seed AND 3 games away from a bottom 2 record. Tank can be put on hold for another month I think or at least the way it's going.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tant-than-wins

Here you have Lakers situation. there is no way that they will fall outside top-3 (LAL have top-3 protected pick)
    heck. not to risk losing pick they should be at least top-2 worst team

barring lottery luck (injury luck is not a luck) forget about top-3 Pelicans

how funny it will be if LAL will send the 4th pick to the sixers...

and also

Sixers can swap pick with Kings if their pick remains in top-10

so 76ers winning may screw Kings, whose pick will be better and will go to the Sixers...

our second rounder from 76ers looks worse from t\day to day...
    ...but at least when 76 ers will be ahead of us - our 1st rounder will be 'better'.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Good lord it's getting ugly/awesome.

We are currently tied for the 5th pick in the draft, and only .5 games ahead of Philly at 4. And Philly continues to play pretty well and should get Simmons and Embiid back.

We are 50 games into the season! There's no way they can think this team is working out right? Right??

http://www.tankathon.com
    Last edited by Spaniard; 02-04-2017 at 12:30 PM.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Good lord it's getting ugly/awesome.

We are currently tied for the 5th pick in the draft, and only .5 games ahead of Philly at 4. And Philly continues to play pretty well and should get Simmons and Embiid back.

We are 50 games into the season! There's no way they can think this team is working out right? Right??

http://www.tankathon.com
    I love tankathon. I spin till we get in the top 3 then see if we can trade down for multiple picks. If we get one I figure we take Fultz but if we get 2 I hope Philly gets 4 and 6 and we trade with them and take Smith and either Tatum or Isaac. I know top picks aren't traded often but I think it COULD be possible if Philly really wanted Ball or even Smith which then Ball or Jackson fall to us.

P.S. or keep one and trade the other along with a future first for butler
    Last edited by tdcreator; 02-04-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Memphis resting their players against Minny tonight. Plus you got Philly vs Miami so one of them have to win. Pels play Phoenix twice before AS break and they are playing well. Could easily be the third worst team heading into AS weekend/trade deadline
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Memphis resting their players against Minny tonight. Plus you got Philly vs Miami so one of them have to win. Pels play Phoenix twice before AS break and they are playing well. Could easily be the third worst team heading into AS weekend/trade deadline
    This about sums it up. Health is no longer an excuse. I thought the team would play better with everyone back (except Q-pon) but it seems like they are regressing.

Edit to add: Does this mean Monty is a better coach than Gentry?

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    This about sums it up. Health is no longer an excuse. I thought the team would play better with everyone back (except Q-pon) but it seems like they are regressing.

Edit to add: Does this mean Monty is a better coach than Gentry?
    I think questions like that are too simple minded. With one type of roster, Monty does better. With another, Gentry does better. Example - D'Antoni does better with this roster than McHale IMO. But make McHale the coach in LA or NYK and he would have done better than D'Antoni did

There is only one coach that transcends. The rest are just largely dependent on their situation.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    This is a draft where a top 5-7 pick could net you a top 3 style talent from most drafts. Obviously, a top 3 pick is still preferable but it would behoove is to start losing early and often.

#TankOn
    @DanielVeuleman

I think questions like that are too simple minded. With one type of roster, Monty does better. With another, Gentry does better. Example - D'Antoni does better with this roster than McHale IMO. But make McHale the coach in LA or NYK and he would have done better than D'Antoni did

There is only one coach that transcends. The rest are just largely dependent on their situation.
    It just feels like Monty was able to get more out of what he had. I'm starting to agree with others on here that Gentry's (and D'Antoni) system only works with an otherworldly point and plenty of above average shooters. It just seems that system requires a super specific roster to run effectively. But I guess the flip side is it always comes down to talent and this roster is lacking at best.

I think Monty could do better with a C- or D+ roster and Gentry could do better with a B+ roster. They are both greatly flawed. Neither was a fit for the rosters they were given

Zach LaVine out for season with torn ACL...hopefully doesn't hurt our tanking

I think Monty could do better with a C- or D+ roster and Gentry could do better with a B+ roster. They are both greatly flawed. Neither was a fit for the rosters they were given
    So let's imagine that next season the Pels have stretched Asik, Cunningham and Galloway have taken offers elsewhere and we pay Jrue and the team is something like:

Jrue/Frazier/2nd Rounder
    Heild/Moore
    Hill/1st pick (top 5)
    Davis/Diallo
    D-Mo/FA big

Who do you think is the best available coach with this team?

According to magic GM, the asking price for Jimmy Butler for them was Fournier + Hezonja + 2017 1st rounder. Seems like a pretty low price. Also mentions that the best players on the market right now are Dragic, Butler, Melo, and Gallo.

pic is cut off... here's the tweet:

And if that were true, why is Butler not a Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    And if that were true, why is Butler not a Magic?
    Apparently the magic GM thought that was too much for him

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    Apparently the magic GM thought that was too much for him
    Yea certainly doesn't seem like too much. But I guess that would be like the Pels needing to give up Holiday (if he was on a multi-year deal) + Hield + 2017 1st rd. pick. Seems like a good bit, but if that was what it took, the Pels should do that.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    So let's imagine that next season the Pels have stretched Asik, Cunningham and Galloway have taken offers elsewhere and we pay Jrue and the team is something like:

Jrue/Frazier/2nd Rounder
    Heild/Moore
    Hill/1st pick (top 5)
    Davis/Diallo
    D-Mo/FA big

Who do you think is the best available coach with this team?
    You would want a guy who preaches ball movement and can develop young guys in that case. A guy like Ettore Messina would make me happy

Thread Information